How to Sync Contact List Directly to PC, Without Gmail?

This is a discussion on How to Sync Contact List Directly to PC, Without Gmail? within the Android 2.3 forums, part of the General Android OS category; Hi, I'm subandroid, which is the way I feel now, as I try to understand Android. I'm a pretty dull guy, so I don't know ...

Thread: How to Sync Contact List Directly to PC, Without Gmail?

How to Sync Contact List Directly to PC, Without Gmail?

Hi,

I'm subandroid, which is the way I feel now, as I try to understand Android. I'm a pretty dull guy, so I don't know what to say to introduce myself.

I have a Huawei Fusion U-8652 running Android v 2.3.5 , that I bought used. He had left his gmail address in it and I think before I knew how it worked, I backed up the 3 phone numbers I entered to HIS computer.

I hope you can help me. I want to be able to sync my contact list to and from my PC and phone, without gmail. I've been working at this off and on for weeks, but I need help.

(A lot of the backup software I found in the Play Store (sp?) it says won't work with my phone? This model is only about 8 months old. Is this situation likely to get better???)

I had hoped to just find the contact list in a file on the phone, and copy that file to my computer, add more names and numbers, and copy it back. That's how it worked with a Samsung phone and Samsung PC Studio 3. Studio 3 formatted everything nicely, but I don't need formatting.

I connect the phone to the pc by cable and it brings up two Windows Explorer windows, one for the sim card and one for the extra memory (right?), which windows treats as external storage devices and assigns the partition letters F and G**

Five minutes earlier I had created two new contacts, one for the sim and one for the phone, so in Windows Explorer, I look for files that were updated 5 minutes ago. I find only 3 files that were updated today, and it was indeed 5 minutes ago,

One is F:\.dataviz\.dinfo , a file that is only 166 bytes big, and when I use TCC LE (a great piece of free software) to look inside it, it has no phone numbers, of course. It's too short.

The other 2 are files for DoubleTwist, backup software that _Android for Dummies_ recommended, which I installed on my PC and somehow got to my phone, and then I noticed that it only backs up audio, video,
    and photos, when what I really want to back up are names and numbers of the people I call on the phone. But I look at the files and can't find anything legible that is a contact name or number.

No files in the G partition changed their Date Modified date or time.
    I've gone through this whole routine twice.

How come the only files that changed their date/time when I added contact numbers were DoubleTwist files, that aren't even essential to the phone? I don't think DoubleTwist replaces the original storage location, because a) that would be amazing and a problem if someone uninstalled Doubletwist, and b) I found photographs in their own folder, not in Doubletwist,, easy to upload to my computer using the method I'm striving for.

Can anyone suggest something for me to do next to find my contact info and copy it to the PC? The name of the file would be nice. ;-)

Thanks

** (It also shows a partition E , but when I put the cursor on it, the message says " Please insert a disk into drive E.".)

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Welcome to the site. Hope someone is able to help you with this.

Quote Originally Posted by subandroid View Post
    Hi,

I have a Huawei Fusion U-8652 running Android v 2.3.5 , that I bought used. He had left his gmail address in it and I think before I knew how it worked, I backed up the 3 phone numbers I entered to HIS computer.

I hope you can help me. I want to be able to sync my contact list to and from my PC and phone, without gmail. I've been working at this off and on for weeks, but I need help.
    Well, I see my post got over 120 views but only one reply, which was just a welcome. But I found the answer on Usenet and I thought I would share it with you.

Dee wrote "On my Droid X2 running 2.3.5, I go into Contacts, then press the Menu
    button, choose Import/Export, choose Export Contacts to SD card.
    This creates a file named 00001.vcf on the SD card. [in the new
    Contacts directory] Then I connect the phone to the PC and copy it over."

And this, with maybe one minor variation, worked fine. I had noticed the "Export to SD button", but a) that didn't strike me as really exporting since it was still in the phone, and b) I figured I should have been able to see the file in the SIM or phone even before I exported it. But I was wrong about both of these, and I was able to connect the phone to my PC, copy F:\00001.vcf to the PC if I'm not in a hurry, and with any text editor, add, remove, and edit entries on a full size monitor and keyboard, even when the phone is not connected. Then later, copy it back to the SD card and import from the SD card to the phone.

This is what one entry looks like in the .vcf file.

BEGIN:VCARD
    VERSION:3.0
    N:;sol;;;
    FN:sol
    TEL;TYPE=CELL:413-433-4852
    END:VCARD

where the entry name and my friend's name is sol, and the phone number is obvious. By making one more complicated entry in the contact list, the format for other fields can be identified.

So, no need to tell Gmail my phone number , no need to use gmail, no need to have it, no need to let it keep a record of any of my contacts, photos or any other data, all of which I don't want to share with strangers.

Strangely, after my first step, exporting, when I connected the phone, partition G never showed up in a new Windows Explorer window, but partition F got a new window, and, more interestingly, E got a new window, complete with the files in it. E hadn't gotten its own window for weeks. I thought E was "the phone" but it had no file named "contacts" in it, and iirc no file with a recent update date. EVen though iiuc now, that's where the contact list spends most of its time.

Plainly this will work on any version of Android that has import and export, which is all of them iiuc.

Subandroid

Welcome to the forum sub!
    The reason you didn't get many replies is because most people use Google/Gmail because Android phones are Google based, and so this is the easiest and must secure method. I wouldn't worry about Google having your phone number/numbers. They literally have hundreds of millions of peoples phone numbers, but this is what they do....such is the world of "Android & the Google operating system". They won't sell your number to third party developers, you wont get strange phone calls from people you don't know, etc etc.
    Glad to hear you figured it out though. (i bet you did a Google search to find the answer huh? lol Google is a beautiful thing and that's why we all love & live Android around here.
    Good luck and enjoy your device!

tap'n

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links