MetalHead's Must-Have Apps

This is a discussion on MetalHead's Must-Have Apps within the Android Apps forums, part of the Android Applications category; Out of shear boredom I have decided to put together a small list of the apps that I use daily on my Evo, and that ...

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: MetalHead's Must-Have Apps

MetalHead's Must-Have Apps

Out of shear boredom I have decided to put together a small list of the apps that I use daily on my Evo, and that I couldn't imagine living without. I have installed and deleted hundreds of apps, and have spent close to $200 in the market on apps that I don't need, so hopefully someone out there in internet land will find this helpful.

I'm going to start this off with the most important app I have and the best purchase I have ever made with regards to the Evo (aside from the Evo itself): LauncherPro Plus.

LauncherPro is by far the best home replacement app available today. I have tried many others including but not limited to ADW, Better Home, DxTop. I used to be a big fan of Sense, and I still like it compared to the stock launcher, but it really can't touch LauncherPro. With LauncherPro, you can completely customize your phone's interface, from the number of homescreens, to custom docks, and everything in between. What I really love about it is the scrollable dock, with the ability to assign whatever apps you want as shortcuts, along with assignable swipe actions. For instance, I have my notifications bar hidden, so I assigned the swipe from the app drawer to drop my notifications down. A swipe from my camera icon opens up the gallery, a swipe from the dialer loads my call history. LauncherPro is extremely stable, I haven't had a single force close from it in over a month (there have been many updates since then), and the dev is incredibly responsive so any issues get cleared up relatively quickly. There is a free version available in the market, but the paid version includes Sense-like widgets (people, calendar, bookmarks, messages) and is available from LauncherPro for $2.99.

The rest of this list will be much more concise:

Apps-

Swype- I seriously HATED this keyboard when I first tried it. Now I can't live without it.

Smart Keyboard Pro Great multitouch keyboard, very fast with great word correction. I've tried them all, this one is my favorite. I even like it better than the Droid X multitouch keyboard that I was in love with back on 2.1

JuiceDefender- JuiceDefender still works well for non-rooted phones. It turns off your antennas when you're not using them. Simple, but extremely effective.

Spare Parts- All this app does is give you access to hidden settings on your phone. It's extremely useful for checking what apps are using the battery the most (partial wake usage). This app combined with System Panel gives you all the tools you need to track down pesky apps that might be preventing your phone from sleeping properly and killing your battery. I don't really mess with any of the other settings or use it for anything other than battery and usage statistics.

AppBrain- The best way to keep track of all your apps. Sync your app list to your desktop. Now with OTA market installs.

MeCanto- Music streaming service that streams YOUR OWN music so you don't have to store it locally on your Evo. It starts out streaming from your desktop but also uploads your music to their servers so you can listen without leaving your desktop on. Sound quality is way better than you would expect.

Pandora- Free, sounds better than Sirius, and turns me on to a ton of bands that I wouldn't have found otherwise.

MovieFone- I love going to the movies so this app is indespensable for me.

RingDroid - I used it to make my ringtone, Tom Araya's scream at the beginning of Angel of Death \m/. Use it to turn any song into a custom ringtone.

SystemPanel- Waaay more than a just a task manager, use this to track down problematic apps and battery issues. Has a steeper learning curve than all other task managers, but is well worth it once you figure it out. An absolute necessity, right behind LauncherPro.

EasyTether- For sharing your internet connection with a desktop/ laptop. One time fee of $10, works like a charm.

Chrome to Phone- By far one of the coolest features of Froyo. Send websites, maps, youtube videos OTA to your phone from your desktop with the press of a button.

Dropbox- App for online backup, storage and file sharing.

Widgets-

Beautiful Widgets- Awesome replacement for the stock HTC flip clock. Has many different skins, a smaller clock widget, and also comes with various toggle widgets that I don't use because I prefer...

SwitchPro- Toggles for all the various antennas and many other things. Great way to consolidate many toggles into a smaller slot on your phone, many different options for customization.

System Info Widget- Great widget that displays your system info at a glance. Battery, temperature, RAM, ROM, SD card geebees.

Gauge Battery Widget- Battery meter modeled off a fuel gauge from a car. Just as awesome as it sounds.

Android Agenda Widget- I like it better than all the other calendar widgets out there and it's free.

Visual Bookmarks- There really isn't a great selection of bookmarks widgets out there, so I settled on this one. It's free, it does what it's supposed to do and has zero issues.

Games-

GalaxIR Star- Awesome fast paced multiplayer RTS.

Armored Strike- Cool Worms-like multiplayer game.

Robo Defense- Hands down the best tower defense game on Android.

Dante: The Inferno- VERY polished action/ puzzler based off the first book from Dante's divine comedy. My current favorite game.

Iron Sight- Like Armored Strike except in 3D and no multiplayer yet.

SpeedX 3D- Really cool accelerometer based game. Hard to describe, you're flying through a tunnel trying to avoid colliding with blocks and other obstacles. Great time waster.

Homerun Battle 3D- Just getting into it, I can see why this is one of the most popular games for Android.

Hyper Jump- Cool twist on the stale jumping game genre. Little Big Planet style artwork, great control. Fun game to play when you only have a few minutes.

Radiant- Awesome updated Space Invaders style game with great retro style graphics.

Meteor Blitz- Really cool asteroids style game with awesome graphics, and great control.

Assassin's Creed- Altair's Chronicles- Great Gameloft action/platformer with some of the best 3D graphics I've seen on Android. Control is surprisingly simple.

SpaceSTG- Awesome single player space RTS that is like a cross between GalaxIR Star and OGame.

Heavy Gunner- Now that I've rooted and flashed a custom kernel with FPS fix, all 3D games are running the way they are supposed to. This one was so laggy for me before but now it runs super smooth. I love this game.

N.O.V.A- Bad ass first person shooter that was made infinitely better by unlocking FPS with rooting.

Glyder 2- Relaxing flying game where you pilot your character around a MASSIVE open word collecting crystals and power ups. Reminiscent of Pilot Wings for the N64.

Fruit Ninja- iPhone best seller now on Android. Cut flying fruit in half with your sword be swiping the screen. Sounds really stupid but it is HIGHLY addictive.

Mini Squadron- Holy crap this game is amazing. Another iPhone best seller. Dogfighting with cute little planes. Multiplayer as well.

Angry Birds- The iPhone bestseller is now available on Android for FREE. Quite possibly the most addictive Android game I have played yet.

Sinister Planet- A little gem of a space shooter. Controls are a little difficult at first but once you get used to them the game becomes extremely fun. Very challenging game.

*For Rooted Phones ONLY*

Wireless Tether- Exactly what it says, and it works great.

Titanium Backup- Still learning how to use it, but it did help me remove all the pre-loaded Sprint apps that I don't need.

AutoStarts- Startup manager, lets you disable apps from loading at startup, and many other conditions. Its amazing to see what causes some apps to load. For instance, IMDB is set to load when the the phone's storage is low, crazy. It also helps explain why certain apps reload themselves after killing them and now you can prevent that from happening. I now have over 220 mb of RAM available after startup.

Juice Defender- Disables data connection based on profiles that you set, increasing battery life dramatically. Can also throttle CPU but I use SetCPU for that.

SetCpu- CPU overclock/ underclock that automatically adjusts CPU speed based on profiles that you set. Works very well with Juice Defender to save battery and increase performance.

ROM Manager- Great tool that lets you download ROMs directly and flash them straight from the app. Reduces the headache of having to manually boot into recovery to flash ROMs. It has other great tools too, like ROM backup/restore, flashing different recoveries, and updating your ROM all through the app.

Root Explorer- File manager for rooted phones. Allows full R/W access to entire system including system and data folders.

Hot Reboot- Quick reboot like Desire HD. Just reboots your ROM and not the entire phone. Great way to free up memory and to fix sluggish performance. I recommend doing it once a day to keep your phone performing at its best.

Check back often as this list is constantly being updated. Feel free to ask me any questions about any of the apps I've listed or to suggest new ones that I might have missed.
    mobileapp likes this.

2. # ADS
    Ads
    Google Advertisement
    Android.net is the premier Android Forum on the internet.

Well MetalHead i like your taste. I have to say LauncherPro would be my home of choice if it weren't for SenceUi, i still love sence.

Second choice of yours that i could not recommend more is System panel. If everyone tried System panel for a week they would see why you dont need kill all task killer's. I say a week just because their is a learning curve but so much worth the effort.

The next would have to be MeCanto. Sure i just installed this app but so far its made a big impression. Totally freed up my memory card.

Next Easy tether, yea i went with Pdanet because i like how my text messages show on screen while i'm connected but all and all very similar apps

I am gonna have to steal a few off your list to try out like smart keyboard, and slacker radio. The whole Pandora thing is still pissing me off. lol

Good idea for a thread...allows alot of noob's and experienced droider's alike to explore some new ideas when your phone starts to feel a little stale.

One i would like to add is widget locker. Widget locker lets you customize your lock screen from your unlock slider or quick mute your phone. I really like that i can put several apps that i want quick access to such as shazam and navigation. Apps that i may use while driving that i dont want to have to search for.

I really like the facebook integration with sense and the way the contacts are handled, and I'm glad they are still in place with launcherpro. I just don't like the sense dock anymore, now that I have the ability to fully customize my dock and make it scrollable.

If you have a lock pattern set, does opening up an app from widget locker bypass the lock patten? Meaning if you run say navigation from the lockscreen and then hit home, does it bring you to your homescreen or does it go right back to the lock screen?

I would add two apps that are essential to the EVO, Bambuser or Knocking. Both are live and recorded video broadcast from your EVO. You embed code from the sites into your own website or simply use your account on their site. Then you tell everyone you will be broadcasting from the concert, the beach, the ballgame or wherever and they can watch in real-time or the recorded version later.

Yea widget locker is very customizable so you can set it either way. I have it set so my widgets on the lock screen will open the app and when the app is closed it goes to home. Or you can set it to go back to lock screen.

That was one of my concerns because i didnt want to randomly have my phone tapping to home in my pocket. So currently on my lock screen i have four sliders
    1. slide to unlock
    2. slide to access camera
    3. slide to mute, vibrate, or ringer
    4. slide for screen contrast dark, medium, and bright

Also i have five other apps and widgets
    1. Navigation
    2. Shazam
    3. Flashlight
    4. MeCanto
    and of course clock. I didnt want to flood my lock screen just have a few quick access points.

Wbpo sounds cool. I'll have to give them a look. I knew this would be a good thread, it comes from diehards and noob's alike instead of the same 10 hi light apps you usually get from google.

MetalHead I have Launcherpro Plus but I don't know how to put clock widget etc... any recommendations?

Usa while your waiting for MetalHead to get back to you, you may want to check out Beautiful Widgets. Its about 2$ in the market

+1 for Beautiful Widgets. It's what I use.

I just came across this on the www

Free mobile phone contact, photo, video and text message backup :: Dashwire

Just wanted to put it out there so everyone can chenk it out

I'm installing it now but it looks pretty intense so a review will be coming soon

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Ads