Viber Location Function

This is a discussion on Viber Location Function within the Android Apps forums, part of the Android Applications category; Was sending text messages with Viber to my girlfriend, who, of course, also has Viber installed on her Samsung Galaxy Tab (I use a Samsung ...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Viber Location Function

Viber Location Function

Was sending text messages with Viber to my girlfriend, who, of course, also has Viber installed on her Samsung Galaxy Tab (I use a Samsung Galaxy GT I9003). The last four times, or so, that we've been using Viber for 'chatting' like this, she was at another location than now (Ho Chi Minh City, actually). Now, she was in a very small town, about 1 hour drive from the most southern beach of Vietnam, so she told me. At one moment, she must have clicked on the 'location' sign in the 'text input window' (a small triangular 'icon') and put it off quickly before sending her next text. But, it was too late, of course. Now I could look at her location, and it showed that she was at the exact same location as the times before (in Ho Chi Minh City - which is about eight hours driving from the place she claimed she was now).

It's really important for me to know if this could be a 'bug' or something like that in Viber (like, if Viber doesn't find the new location, it might be using the last known location as a refference and if it still doesn't 'see', or 'find' the new location, send the old one instead).

Hope someone can help me with this. Really important, 'cause if Viber sends the right location all the time, then my girlfriend didn't tell me the truth about where she was at the time we were talking with each other...

Thanks

2. # ADS
    Ads
    Google Advertisement
    Android.net is the premier Android Forum on the internet.

Hi,

This is a member of Viber's development team.

The Location aware feature uses your GSM's (cellphone service provider) location signal, and it's exact accuracy depends on your network provider. Viber does not use your GPS settings. You may leave your GPS on or you may turn it off. This will not affect the Location aware feature.

There may be a slight margin of error, depending which tower captures your location. viber has no control of this. The information received by the tower is then displayed back to your device within Google maps. The margin of error may be 1 to 100 meters +/-. Within large populated areas, with stable state-of-the-art GSM capabilities, the location awareness will have a greater accuracy.

We hope this information helped.

Viber Team

I would also thing this could easily be a bug with the phone not updating it's location with the cell phone towers. Don't always assume the worst, in this case I would assume it was a bug. Just my 2c.

I wish to know how to save a home location on viber as well as the gps one of my present location. Can someone help?

Quote Originally Posted by Soulscentre View Post
    I wish to know how to save a home location on viber as well as the gps one of my present location. Can someone help?
    Viber uses your existing phone's location services. Can you save a location through the existing maps and GPS services in your phone?

please im facing the same previous problem i just wanna make sure is it possible that the viber locate a wrong location like 5 underground stations far ??
    and if it was snowing would that affect the location accuracy to that limit ? putting into your consideration that it was in Berlin ??
    it is really important for me to know. So please i need a clarified answer please
    Thanks for your response in advance

Quote Originally Posted by radwa View Post
    please im facing the same previous problem i just wanna make sure is it possible that the viber locate a wrong location like 5 underground stations far ??
    and if it was snowing would that affect the location accuracy to that limit ? putting into your consideration that it was in Berlin ??
    it is really important for me to know. So please i need a clarified answer please
    Thanks for your response in advance
    Hi there,

The Location aware-feature uses your GSM's (cellphone service provider) location signal, and its exact accuracy depends on your network provider. Viber does not use your GPS settings. You may leave your GPS on or you may turn it off. This will not affect the Location feature in Viber.

There may be a slight margin of error, depending which tower captures your location. Viber has no control of this. The information received by the tower is then displayed back to your device within Google maps. If reception is good and you are in a high-coverage area, the margin of error may be 1 to 100 meters +/-. Within large populated areas, with stable state-of-the-art GSM capabilities, the location awareness will have a greater accuracy.

Can someone help me, i was wondering if you can track a persons location by usuing the location services tool? the app does not close, and stays open constantly. can you track it without sending messages or calls?

Re: Viber Location Function

No, you can not track someone by their location services. Location services is used by your carrier, Google, etc in conjunction with local search results, Google map & navigation results, etc.

tap'n

@kirstenleigh -

In addition to the answer given you above, note that Viber doesn't simply 'broadcast' your location at all times. It shares your location only when you decide to do so by manually choosing to add your location to a Viber message.

CR6 likes this.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Ads