Viber Message History

This is a discussion on Viber Message History within the Android Apps forums, part of the Android Applications category; good morning all, Does anyone know how i can get to see messages that were sent via 'viber' 4 days ago. it has some very ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Viber Message History

Viber Message History

good morning all,

Does anyone know how i can get to see messages that were sent via 'viber' 4 days ago. it has some very important information in it and i cannot find any folders in the memory that hold it.

Here's hoping......

2. # ADS
    Ads
    Google Advertisement
    Android.net is the premier Android Forum on the internet.

Viber

Hi,

This is a member of the Viber R&D Team!

Usually all the messages are saved in the application (under "messages" tab).

Please be more specific in regards to the error message and scenario if that is not the case.

Thanks in advance.

hi
    how to recover delete messages from viber?
    thank you...

Quote Originally Posted by paris View Post
    hi
    how to recover delete messages from viber?
    thank you...
    Unfortunately it is not possible to retrieve deleted Viber messages, since we (Viber) don't keep a copy of our users' messages in our servers.

We recommend to our users to use the "Export" feature often, to have a backup of their chat history.

I have the files viber_messages-journal and viber_messages from a Titanium backup.
    When I restore the file been offline everything works fine: I see all my contact and the correct associated messages.
    Then I go online and Viber wants to re-validate my account ... which is fine ... I do successfully re-validate the account and when I can access the application again all messages are gone.
    This happens with latest version 2.3.5 and was not happening this a previous version 2.3.2 (i believe)

What has changed in the latest release? Why resetting the whole history if I was successfully re-validated?
    BTW other application do not behave the same way (read Whatsapp)

Welcome to the forum Maerds!
    GSM Galaxy Note 3 (Black) - Straight Stock
    GSM Galaxy Note 2 (Titanium) - Rooted running Jedi X20 Rom
    GSM Galaxy Nexus (Black) - Straight Stock

GSM Samsung Galaxy S3 (Red) - Rooted running Deadly Venom v8.0.1 Rom

Hi maerds,

As we explained to you in the other thread, this behavior didn't change in the latest update - it's always been this way, that Viber messages are unfortunately deleted upon deactivation or deletion of Viber. The messages will not be deleted if you perform a simply upgrade (installing a newer version over an older one).

Note that Titanium Backup is an external service, that has nothing to do with Viber. Because of this, Viber might not work smoothly when installed through a Titanium backup, or when you try to upgrade a backupped older version of Viber. This is probably the source of the problem you're experiencing.

What we recommend for our users to do is to use Viber's "export" feature every once in a while, in order to have a saved backup of iber's chat history (though this backup cannot be restored back onto Viber - only stay as an external text file).

Dear Viber,
    thanks for the reply.
    Let me be more specific. I don't delete and/or don't deactivate my account ... all files are exactly there under /data/com.viber.voip/databases/
    I could be just restoring a nandriod ... file are there and all info are there. Viber ask to re-validate the account and files are reset ... really for no reason (you should consider the opportunity to review this behavior).
    On the other end I know I can restore a older backup on 2.3.2. Viber will still ask me to re-validate my account ... but this time, after validation, it do NOT reset the history (may be just a lucky bug??).
    This way I can at least partially recover some history ... at that point I can upgrade to the latest version and history is preserved without any problem.

Bottom line my comments are:
    - please change the behavior of resetting DB on re-validation. If I successfully re-validate with same phone number and activation code why still deleting all history? Which other proof you need it's me and that info belongs to me?
    - implement a reliable recovery mechanism as exporting in email and not been able to import is not really helpful. BTW this feature has been requested by a lot of users for quite some time.

Thanks in advance for your assistance

hi again @maerds,

At the moment, in the scenario like restoring an Android (like you mentioned), Viber "loses" its link to its messaging history files and this link cannot be restored in an "official" way through the app. So, upon deleting the app, deactivating, OR restoring an Android (or Titanium backup, etc.) - we will not be able to guarantee that Viber will be able to restore its messaging history.

Thank you for your suggestion on this feature. We invite you to enter our Feature Request page and post your suggestion there, or join an existing similar suggestion (it's very easy and quick!). The more people join on a request, the faster it will become reality

You can find it here: Have an idea for a new feature?

Dear Viber,
    I'll certainly submit a Feature Request as you suggested.
    On the other end I realized that I may have bark too early.
    At the end I was able to recover my conversation history simply copying 4 viber* files under /data/com.viber.voip/databases/ and making sure they had the right owner and privileges.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ads