Spam App, How to Get Rid of xapush.com

This is a discussion on Spam App, How to Get Rid of xapush.com within the Android Apps forums, part of the Android Applications category; I think I've picked up some spam :mad: I've rec'd my second notification from an unknown app. The first showed up as a green plus ...

Thread: Spam App, How to Get Rid of xapush.com

Spam App, How to Get Rid of xapush.com

I think I've picked up some spam :mad: I've rec'd my second notification from an unknown app. The first showed up as a green plus sign in my notification bar. I don't remember what the notification was but in parenthesis was the following: (optout at xapush.com). I cleared it and went on about my business. Yesterday a new notification showed up, a white star with a red dot in the middle. When I expand my notifications it says this: #1 App - Camera Upgrade! Enhance your Android's Camera! (optout at xapush.com). I know this is crap. I cannot get to this alleged website on a computer and I won't do it with my phone. I've gone to my settings to check what apps are currently running and I can find nothing that this could be.:confused:

Obviously I've downloaded something malicious and I'm hesitant to download anything else for fear my phone has been compromised. Any suggestions?

The phone is a Samsung Captivate.

2. # ADS
    Ads
    Google Advertisement
    Android.net is the premier Android Forum on the internet.

WERA689
    That is pretty odd, Shelly. As far as loading other apps, as long as you stick to the Android Market or Amazon AppStore, you shouldn't have any problems. And you might try downloading Lookout Mobile Security from the Market. It scans any new apps you install, and might help you find the source of your strange notifications.

Shelly did you download any FREE applications from the android market?

Shelly, I got the same thing. I was told it was from downloading Angry Monkey's (a game from the free android market). Last night I went to xapush.com and downloaded the thing, and yet I got another stupid green plus sign in the top of my screen. Stupid spam crap is driving me nuts!

Okay, I've got a solution: There's a free app called Airpush Detector. The following is from the description published in the Android Market: This is a simple Android application which detects other installed applications which appear to use the AirPush ad framework and offers the user the ability to easily uninstall them. THIS APP DOES NOT *BLOCK* THE ADS. It only tells you which applications are causing them. You must uninstall the applications this app identifies to stop these ads........

This solved my problem. It showed me the application (a recently downloaded app) that was causing the spam. I have uninstalled it and 48 hours later, I still have no spam notifications.

Kyle, I've never been able to get to xapush.com from a computer, I always get a timed out error. If the only way for me to get to the website is from my phone, then that tells me it's someplace I don't want to visit. You'll have to either uninstall the spammy app or live with the notifications.

The spammy app that caused me the problem came from the Android Market

Mine came in right out of the box... pre-installed garbage I tried everything... surprisingly enough air push actually kept crashing my phone.... I finally went to my computer googled xapush opt out and I believe it was second option was the website ... there is an app to permanently opt out (which did not work---shocker) and manual opt out which asks for imei # I saw somebody else had that but didn't want to give out that #... THEY ALREADY HAVE IT !!! what you need to do is tell them which one to exclude...
    What these advertisers don't understand is some of us do not respond to these "force ads" (spam ,pop ups TELE-MARKETERS) I will NEVER buy anything from someone that pesters and annoys me... anybody else?

Quote Originally Posted by draginweb View Post
    Mine came in right out of the box... pre-installed garbage I tried everything... surprisingly enough air push actually kept crashing my phone.... I finally went to my computer googled xapush opt out and I believe it was second option was the website ... there is an app to permanently opt out (which did not work---shocker) and manual opt out which asks for imei # I saw somebody else had that but didn't want to give out that #... THEY ALREADY HAVE IT !!! what you need to do is tell them which one to exclude...
    What these advertisers don't understand is some of us do not respond to these "force ads" (spam ,pop ups TELE-MARKETERS) I will NEVER buy anything from someone that pesters and annoys me... anybody else?
    well that was what 2 weeks ago... guess what... I haven't received any messages ... until today I got several more today... funny thing though I haven't downloaded anything in the past two weeks....so how is it getting through? I have several other "cleaners" (btw airpush detector doesn't fix it either) I did find an airpush eula which keeps asking if I want to remove answer yes then it comes back uninstall not successful.....
    I don't understand who thought of this **** and does anybody ever buy from these assholes?... if so why ? If I'm looking for something I will search for it ....It is moronic to buy something from an unknown source....

Ads