Battery care

This is a discussion on Battery care within the Android Forum forums, part of the Android Discussions category; Hi apologies if this subject has already been covered here but wanting to know if some of your good people could give some tips on ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Battery care

Battery care

Hi apologies if this subject has already been covered here but wanting to know if some of your good people could give some tips on battery care. I have heard myths and facts about what can and cant damage a Samsung battery. On my old S2 the battery life was never good. Yes I know it all depends what apps ect you have running but still only after a few months it was as if i could hardly get more than a few hours out of it.
    With my new Gal Note 2 the battery is much improved but is there anything I should avoid with regards to over charging ... should I let the battery drain fully down sometimes ? Or will this decrease battery life and power over time... in short what tips do others have to take care of the battery ? My daughter now has my old S2 and we did a reset and removed all apps ect so it was as if new but still her battery is shot. Any help / info much appreciated

tahnks

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

You know that little planet in Solar System? The one with lots of water in it? Yeah, that's the one!
    First of all, how long does the battery last? Smartphones tend to last pretty short - it's normal.

To improve your battery life, I suggest you dim down the brightness and turn off unneeded services. However I discourage you to use any "app killer" apps as they do not help you save battery life at all.

Letting the battery drain fully is not damaging it, on the contrary - it is healthier. Don't connect and disconnect the cable often, just let it charge til 100%.
    Tears for Fears
    Warning! All outlaws will be shot! Survivors will be shot again!

~~~ Guidelines of Conduct ~~~
    The rest of you, have a nice day.

Quote Originally Posted by Tears_for_Fears View Post
    First of all, how long does the battery last? Smartphones tend to last pretty short - it's normal.

To improve your battery life, I suggest you dim down the brightness and turn off unneeded services. However I discourage you to use any "app killer" apps as they do not help you save battery life at all.

Letting the battery drain fully is not damaging it, on the contrary - it is healthier. Don't connect and disconnect the cable often, just let it charge til 100%.
    Ok yes thats what I have been doing with regards charging. And yes tried app killers it made no difference at all really. After charge to 100% should I then disconnect ? I have an annoying habit at the moment of leaving it continually hooked up to my PC via the Usb cable. thanks )

You know that little planet in Solar System? The one with lots of water in it? Yeah, that's the one!
    I suggest you charge with your dedicated charger rather than hooking it up with a PC. It doesn't cause any problems in particular, but it does reduce the "healthiness" of the battery, especially if the voltage is high, especially when leaving it charge for too long.
    Tears for Fears

Re: Battery care

You can't "over-charge" your battery. Once it reaches 100%, it will automatically cut off from receiving anymore power. I also wouldn't recommend draining your battery down past 10% on a regular basis (aside from the initial "charge cycling" you should perform when you first purchase a new phone) Draining your battery down that low on a regular basis actually stresses your battery much more, not to mention taking longer to recharge.

A good rule of thumb is to plug it in and top it off whenever you're near a power source. It's actually good to "top it off" mid percentage. If you're like most people and upgrade your phone every 2 years, you shouldn't have a problem with your battery lasting you the full 2 years without much degradation.

As for charging via usb connected to your pc: I've been doing it for years on my smartphones without any problems at all. 75% of my day is spent at a desk, and because I listen to a lot of podcasts and Pandora throughout the day, I keep it plugged into my pc the majority of the time and have never experienced battery issues.

The fact is, rechargeable batteries wear out over time, it's just the nature of these types of batteries. You'll more than likely replace your phone before you see a noticeable degradation of the battery.
    Point is, don't stress too much about it. You can always pick up an OEM replacement battery for around 20 bucks after a couple of years.

tap'n
    Last edited by CR6; 03-24-2013 at 04:45 PM.

Overvoltage can cause damage within an hour. When charging through the USB cable, it's better to make sure the voltage is within the safe boundaries. Out of 7 phones, 2 of them got busted batteries because of overvoltage. As for draining it below 10%, it depends on the type of the battery, but if I remember correctly, it causes no effect on Lithium Ion batteries.

Bad caring of the battery can reduce the performance of the battery by 5-10% within three weeks as I've read in one article a year ago. Though I have no experience here myself. However, 4 out of 7 phones I have degraded batteries within a year of usage.

But yes, you shouldn't mind the battery too much, simply use it with care.
    Last edited by Tears_for_Fears; 03-24-2013 at 05:23 PM.
    Tears for Fears

With lithium batteries, you're doing more damage by discharging them all the way then by recharging them before they reach 10% or below. A few months ago I tested an extended battery for my S3 from Mugen power company and was given this information directly from them.
    When it comes to batteries, you can ask 5 or 10 people the same question, and you'll usually get 5-10 different answers. lol
    I could be wrong as well, but I'm going by what the battery manufacturer told me, and it's worked fine for me so far.

As I said, I don't know for sure if it applies for Lithium Ion batteries... I know that there are *some* batteries that don't do any effect in decharging it below 10%.

Yes, you get different answers because people get different results in experience.
    Tears for Fears

this is true! Your comment nailed it!
    I say use your phone and don't focus too much on battery care, other than common sense. Don't make a habit of draining it completely, charge it when you can and you'll be fine.

Thanks guys for the info and yeah comes down to common sense and will not be draining completely. The battery with my new phone has much longer life between charges but no surprise there with the dismal results I was getting on my old S2. Will be buying my daughter a replacment battery as she got the S2 now and its still a fine phone for a 16 year old and is in great condiction apart from the lousy much over used battery. And same as CR6 mine sits hooked up to my laptop most of the day while working. Good to know they cut off when fully charged. cheers !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links