Which Phone?

This is a discussion on Which Phone? within the Android Forum forums, part of the Android Discussions category; Hey everybody! Hoping I can get some opinions on my next upgrade coming in 2 weeks.Right now I have an iPhone 4 that I've been ...

Thread: Which Phone?

Which Phone?

Hey everybody!

Hoping I can get some opinions on my next upgrade coming in 2 weeks.Right now I have an iPhone 4 that I've been using for 2 years.It's on it's last leg, not to mention, I have grown tired of apple and its lack of customization among other things.I have had my eye on the HTC One and Samsung Galaxy S3 and 4.I looked at all 3 at best buy while I was there one day.Neither of the samsungs were functional, just displays.The HTC One was on and I played with it for a few minutes.I wasn't crazy about how it felt at first but after playing with it for a while I really warmed up to it.
    I have now had the chance to use the s3 and s4 and now I'm REALLY torn. I have started leaning back toward the Galaxy after becoming quite fond of the One.My knowledge is somewhat limited so that is probably making my decision somewhat harder.My carrier has the S3 for $0.00 with a 2 year contract, the HTC One for $99, and the S4 for $149.I'm probably not going to go for the S4 unless theres a REALLY good reason I should.I'd like to be as budget friendly as I can.The question is, would I be getting a steal with the Galaxy S3 or would I be better off to go for the HTC One?Anybody with these devices to enlighten me?

Thanks in advance for your input!

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Go with the S3. There have been problems reported off and on of various aspects of the S4 resulting in disappointing sales figures, whereas the S3 is solid and still a top seller. You may also want to look at the Galaxy Note 2 - which is an *amazing* phone. I own both the S3 and the Note 2, but I can't seem to put the Note 2 down. In all fairness, the Note 2 has a bigger screen and that bothers some people. I consider the Note 2's size to be "just right:, it fits perfectly in my hand. The Note 2 also has an S-Pen which allows you to do amazing things.

Whatever you choose, best of luck and welcome to the forum!
    GSM Galaxy Note 3 (Black) - Straight Stock
    GSM Galaxy Note 2 (Titanium) - Rooted running Jedi X20 Rom
    GSM Galaxy Nexus (Black) - Straight Stock

GSM Samsung Galaxy S3 (Red) - Rooted running Deadly Venom v8.0.1 Rom

If you can find one, the HTC First would not be a bad option either. You know, that silly Facebook phone that everyone has forgotten about by now. I didn't really think so until Dorian kindly pointed out some key features.

In terms of hardware, it is comparable to an S3. You have a 4.3" 720P LCD screen. You also have Android 4.1.2 and Facebook Home can be completely turned off giving you a Nexus like device with LTE capability.

I guess if you are not an AT&T customer that might not help at all. It is also discontinued if I am not mistaken, but it is still a decent device and they are for sale rather cheap on eBay.
    Last edited by grenefroggie; 07-31-2013 at 11:04 PM.

I have both the S3 and the note2. I love the galaxy s3 and I highly recommend getting when especially since your carrier has it for $0.

You know that little planet in Solar System? The one with lots of water in it? Yeah, that's the one!
    Quote Originally Posted by UltraDroid View Post
    Go with the S3. There have been problems reported off and on of various aspects of the S4 resulting in disappointing sales figures, whereas the S3 is solid and still a top seller. You may also want to look at the Galaxy Note 2 - which is an *amazing* phone. I own both the S3 and the Note 2, but I can't seem to put the Note 2 down. In all fairness, the Note 2 has a bigger screen and that bothers some people. I consider the Note 2's size to be "just right:, it fits perfectly in my hand. The Note 2 also has an S-Pen which allows you to do amazing things.

Whatever you choose, best of luck and welcome to the forum!
    S4 sales were not disappointing at all. They were not as good as expected but it still sells quite better than S III did.

Other than S4 additional features, you're better off with S III because it's more than enough powerful, so you wouldn't notice the difference in performance unless you're doing something very heavy. Although it's unmentioned, S4 seems to be more durable and more water resistant than the S III due to its solid shape.

in terms of features, the S4 has some very useful features but a lot of them are unnecessary for a phone, however, they certainly are not useless. For example, the barely advertised IR sensor is actually very useful to me. You can control practically any TV, set-top box, DVD/Blu-Ray player, AV receiver, streaming media players, projectors etc. Works flawlessly well for me. It also has atmospheric sensors like thermometer, hygrometer, barometer, magnetic sensor and a light sensor. All of them combined can show some interesting details about the surrounding air but I guess that's not so needed for everyday usage. It also has some motions sensors, for example, you can hover your finger above the screen and a box pops up with information. Similar to the mouse hovering in PCs, personally, I find it very useful. Those sensors can also be used to other things like putting your hand near the phone and it quickly shows necessary information without even picking up your phone or when you pick it up, it vibrates to indicate that there's a missed notification which is certainly just a small detail but saves some frustration and even time. Another very useful feature is that you can divide the screen and use two apps simultaneously which really saves time and frustration. S4 is filled with such features that combined can offer greatly superior experience than other phones. The additional gigabyte of RAM also guarantees outstanding ability of multitasking.

However, if the features mentioned above are not useful to you, I entirely suggest S III, especially if you're looking for a cheaper phone. HTC One is a next generation phone but other than the more powerful chip, it doesn't offer much more than the S III and the price differs significantly, so out of these three, S III would be the best option.

I know this is a bit late now but perhaps it'll help some other people who are considering to buy one of them.
    Tears for Fears
    Warning! All outlaws will be shot! Survivors will be shot again!

~~~ Guidelines of Conduct ~~~
    The rest of you, have a nice day.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links