WiFi Question

This is a discussion on WiFi Question within the Android Forum forums, part of the Android Discussions category; I have an Android tablet (my first Android device) and have a question about Wifi. In the house I have a wifi router in the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WiFi Question

WiFi Question

I have an Android tablet (my first Android device) and have a question about Wifi.

In the house I have a wifi router in the kitchen.
    Our lounge is the other side of a thick stone wall and wifi reception there is poor so I installed a wifi extender in the lounge which seems to pick up the signal and somehow amplify it.
    So sitting in the lounge I connected the tablet to the extender and it works well enough.

However if I move into the kitchen the tablet loses the signal even though I am right next to the router. My Windows Laptop maintains a signal in both rooms.

Both the Wifi Rouer and the extender have the same name/id

Can anyone explain why this may be happening and how I might overcome the problem.

TIA

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Welcome to the site. Someone should come along soon with some advice.

Welcome to the forum, Pewe!
    GSM Galaxy Note 3 (Black) - Straight Stock
    GSM Galaxy Note 2 (Titanium) - Rooted running Jedi X20 Rom
    GSM Galaxy Nexus (Black) - Straight Stock

GSM Samsung Galaxy S3 (Red) - Rooted running Deadly Venom v8.0.1 Rom

Thanks Guys.

I have done a bit more digging and find that the Tablet is continually trying to connect to the Range Extender.
    The reason I know this is that when a device is connected to the range extender the Mac address does not show up as a Connected Device in the settings when I connect as admin to the router, and the tablet address is not showing up.

I tried getting the Tablet to drop the details of the Extender by using 'Forget Network', but this does not work as as soon as I do that and the router shows up again it tries to connect to the extender again - even though it is out of range.

So how do I get the Tablet to forget it ever connected to the Range Extender and start over?

Welcome and have you connected to WiFi in the kitchen ever?

No - I setup the tablet in the lounge, and as soon as I moved to the Kitchen the signal disappeared but the router was still showing in available networks. But when I try to connect to it it says 'no Internet Access'.

Unplug your extender and connect in kitchen. Then plug in and move from room to room.

Quote Originally Posted by SLAG IT! View Post
    Unplug your extender and connect in kitchen. Then plug in and move from room to room.
    I assume you are suggesting I do that as a way to maintain a connection on an ongoing basis.

The problem with doing that is that there is someone in a room above the lounge who is permanently bed-ridden and use the internet as a means of communication and interest.
    If I move the extender to the kitchen then they lose their connection. My wife uses the tablet for communication with a relative overseas (using Viper) and needs to be able to take the tablet with her when she's working in the kitchen.

So I need to get the tablet to lose the current connection (which it lists as the router but is in fact the extender) so I can re-establish it in the Kitchen. Hopefully it will then work like my laptop which picks up the strongest connection in whichever room I have it.

(It appears (but may not be the case) that the settings are held in a cache somewhere and as soon as the tablet sees the router ID it uses the cached connection details).

No, I am suggesting doing it that way so your tablet connects directly to WiFi router in kitchen and temporarily forgets extender. Then when you plug it in the tablet will switch on its own.
    So, unplug extender, power cycle the tablet, connect to kitchen WiFi, plug in the extender and it should work.
    Last edited by SLAG IT!; 08-17-2013 at 04:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SLAG IT! View Post
    No, I am suggesting doing it that way so your tablet connects directly to WiFi router in kitchen and temporarily forgets extender. Then when you plug it in the tablet will switch on its own.
    So, unplug extender, power cycle the tablet, connect to kitchen WiFi, plug in the extender and it should work.
    Thanks Slagit.

I have however managed to correct the problem.

It is embarrassing -

The router was supplied by the phone company (Orange UK) and I've had it a few years.

I had forgotten that for the router to accept a connection from a wireless device it had not seen before it requires a button on the back of the router to be pressed immediatley prior to the 'connect' action on the device.

I suddenly remembered that and now everything works as it should.

Thanks again for the input guys.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links