Upgrade Woes Two

This is a discussion on Upgrade Woes Two within the Android Forum forums, part of the Android Discussions category; Perhaps this should be in the Samsung GalaxyS5 forum, but it may be of interest to the general community. When prompted to install the latest ...

Thread: Upgrade Woes Two

Upgrade Woes Two

Perhaps this should be in the Samsung GalaxyS5 forum, but it may be of interest to the general community.

When prompted to install the latest OS upgrade on my phone I foolishly did so. Once the upgrade was installed my computer could find only an empty folder on the phone. It took a trip to the local Verizon store and then a 240 mile round trip to a second Verizon store to get things working again.

Now no apps will run unless permission to access my location, contacts and calendar is given. That rubs my fur backwards. Why does anyone need to know who my contacts are so music can be played on my phone? Or what need is there to access my contact list if the Gallery is viewed? And access to the calendar? Does anyone really need to know that I have a dentist appointment on the 5th of December? (I don't. That's just an example.)

Does anyone know of a work around that will let apps be run without giving permission to snoop? Or, if not, is there a way to roll back to the previous operating system version?

Thanks in advance.

Ron

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Hey Ron, sorry to hear about your difficulties. Have you tried a factory data reset? When upgrading to the latest OS, it's always recommended to perform a factory data reset. Small incremental updates(eg: 5.0 to 5.1) don't require one, but when updating from from say KitKat to Lollipop, or Lollipop to Marshmallow (4.0 to 5.0, or 5.0 to 6.0), it's highly recommended.
    Please just remember to back up your contacts and any media that is currently on your device, such as music, pictures, text documents etc. as it will all be wiped after performing an FDR.
    Media/files saved on your external sd card should be fine, but it's always best to make sure everything is saved to your pc, regardless of whether it's currently stored on your S5's internal storage or your external SD card.
    Give that a try and let us know how you make out. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask.
    Good luck!

S5 tap'n

Quote Originally Posted by DieselMan View Post
    Perhaps this should be in the Samsung GalaxyS5 forum, but it may be of interest to the general community.

When prompted to install the latest OS upgrade on my phone I foolishly did so. Once the upgrade was installed my computer could find only an empty folder on the phone. It took a trip to the local Verizon store and then a 240 mile round trip to a second Verizon store to get things working again.

Now no apps will run unless permission to access my location, contacts and calendar is given. That rubs my fur backwards. Why does anyone need to know who my contacts are so music can be played on my phone? Or what need is there to access my contact list if the Gallery is viewed? And access to the calendar? Does anyone really need to know that I have a dentist appointment on the 5th of December? (I don't. That's just an example.)

Does anyone know of a work around that will let apps be run without giving permission to snoop? Or, if not, is there a way to roll back to the previous operating system version?

Thanks in advance.

Ron
    Also, if you just upgraded to android 6.0 the app permissions are not the same as before.
    How to Manage App Permissions on Android 6.0

Note 8
    Galaxy S8 Plus
    Nexus 6 - PureNexus

Thanks for the replies. I have done an FDR - that was the reason for my long drive. When restarting after the FDR my phone froze at the 'Verizon' screen. When it became nearly too hot to hold I took the battery out. The tech merely pressed the up volume and power keys for 30 seconds and the FDR was completed. Apparently nobody at our local Verizon store was privy to that process.

I've scanned through the information about permissions, and will give it a detailed read tomorrow. When 'Gallery' was long pressed and drug (dragged?) to app info only Camera and Storage were given as needed permissions. But when I tried to open it a message that Contacts, Calendar and Location were necessary to allow it to open. Perhaps the answer will be found in closer reading of the permission process.

Thanks again.

Ron

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links