Do You Need Anti-Virus Protection?

This is a discussion on Do You Need Anti-Virus Protection? within the Android Forum forums, part of the Android Discussions category; Doesn't any virus for android need Root permission as well? Side note: I love Linux its so handy. I have it set up to boot ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Do You Need Anti-Virus Protection?

Doesn't any virus for android need Root permission as well?

Side note: I love Linux its so handy. I have it set up to boot in emulation from a flash drive. The program i use is called QUEM, for those wanting to know.
    New to Android or just need a refresher course, Abe has you covered
    "Guidelines of Conduct" for Android.net
    Respect is number 1 in the Forums.

We are the droid owners
    Resistance is Futile, YOU Will be Assimilated...

And if you use an antivirus most all root apps will come up as a threat. Simply because of the permissions it requires. So an antivirus is nil imo like wig said stay away from third party markets or downloads and you will be ok!!

Sent from my DROIDX using Android.net App
    IF YOU NEED HELP WE ARE HERE!

When hacks come to Android, and they will, it will be via apps like Twitter or plug-ins like Flash.

Quote Originally Posted by Quicksilver7714 View Post
    Doesn't any virus for android need Root permission as well?
    I suppose; it depends on how you define the meaning of virus; if you are going by its literal deffinition, like trojans, keyloggers, rootkits, ect, then yes, your phone would need to be rooted. However, if you consider a viral app to be one that sent confidential info to a server without you being entirely aware and then abused that information, then no; there could be ways to do that without root. Also if you factor in intrusive adware apps, that could be accomplished without root access aswell. The difference is, that without root, any rouge/unwanted app could easily be uninstalled like any other user app. So without root those types of apps don't really pose a threat, just an annoyance. Falsely advertised apps are something to look out for, but that can be avoided by simply reviewing the comments before downloading something.

Quote Originally Posted by Quicksilver7714 View Post
    Side note: I love Linux its so handy. I have it set up to boot in emulation from a flash drive. The program i use is called QUEM, for those wanting to know.
    I build portable applications using VMware and Thinapp, so I'm all about having flash drive apps, when I first discovered QUEM I was so happy, it's cool to hear of other people using it. But that is so off topic, lol.

{{ WugFresh }}

Quote Originally Posted by Debian Dog View Post
    When hacks come to Android, and they will, it will be via apps like Twitter or plug-ins like Flash.
    That's a good point, definitely via plugins. What do you mean though by apps like Twitter? Please explain.

{{ WugFresh }}

I don't know how an app for twitter can be hacked unless it's done by the person who developed it. But I could be wrong. As far as Flash goes, yes, they have been known for being a source of issues which is why Steve Jobbs doesn't wants to use them. To their credit however they do seem to be constantly updating their app so that does mean they are on top of things.

That better not be a link to the viral tweet lol.

{{ WugFresh }}

Ahh.. I see now, but if that sort of scheme were to be implimented for android wouldn't you still have to grant SU permissions for the script to run? Or would you only have to grant them to a twitter-like client?

Also, is there even a way to run scripts without being in terminal for android? Like is their an equivalent to .bat files on android, or other fully executable scripts like vbs? The scripts on android are adb comands written as js files, right?, those won't run on android I thought unless you ran them from terminal... or can you just run them with one click initiation?

I feel like it's limited to viral apk's and plugins.

{{ WugFresh }}

Yes, if you're foolish enough to use twitter without using a client you do risk a greater probability of getting a virus. But we don't know what kind of virus that was. If it was a windows virus it would have no effect on your Android phone.

From the very same link you posted: One lesson, though, is clear: It's absolutely safer to have people reading tweets through a diverse array of software products than through a single website.

So use a client for tweeting and don't use twitter on line.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links