Do You Need Anti-Virus Protection?

This is a discussion on Do You Need Anti-Virus Protection? within the Android Forum forums, part of the Android Discussions category; So True WugFresh...Never feel complicent ...Not...Protecting your Androids.......

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Do You Need Anti-Virus Protection?

Android Enthusiast It's Bubba " v "'s Avatar
    So True WugFresh...Never feel complicent ...Not...Protecting your Androids....
    Yeah, Bubba did it...He Always gets Something going.... Its a Family Site Too...Yaa know

Quote Originally Posted by WugFresh View Post
    Ahh.. I see now, but if that sort of scheme were to be implimented for android wouldn't you still have to grant SU permissions for the script to run? Or would you only have to grant them to a twitter-like client?

Also, is there even a way to run scripts without being in terminal for android? Like is their an equivalent to .bat files on android, or other fully executable scripts like vbs? The scripts on android are adb comands written as js files, right?, those won't run on android I thought unless you ran them from terminal... or can you just run them with one click initiation?

I feel like it's limited to viral apk's and plugins.

{{ WugFresh }}
    Can anyone answer my questions in this post?

{{ WugFresh }}

Super Moderator/RS furbearingmammal's Avatar
    Two hours north of Syracuse, NY. Yes, there IS civilization that far north.
    Twitter
    FurryVarmint
    There was an exploit that someone over on DroidMod worked out that you could use to give SU permissions to apps without having them ask first. Needless to say he didn't release it and last I was aware the FRG22D update blocked the hole anyway (it was basically the same exploit EasyRoot used), but without something like that going for you then you can't.

Quote Originally Posted by WugFresh View Post
    Can anyone answer my questions in this post?

{{ WugFresh }}
    Everything in Unix is a file. Any file can be made to try and execute you could even name it .BAT as long as it called real commands. If it called a root level command it would need SU. Unless someone got it on your phone and tricked you in to giving permissions or forcing the permissions to 4755 or something chmod - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia I am not sure how you could do it.

Hmm... that's very interesting. I wonder what the extent of malicious activities you could perform running a script with out SU permissions, I feel like you could still do some unwanted shadyness. Thank you both for clarifying that for me. I feel less safe now though lol.

Looks like there is going to be the need for something similar to the FireFox Add-on 'NoScript' for android devices.

Forgive me in advance if this is an ignorant question, but if any file on Unix can be an executable file, then how in the hell is Unix safer than the incredibly unsafe OS known as Windows. What is protecting you from opening a text document and accidentally running a malicious script. I thought that was the whole point of file extensions in the first place (besides program association), to know what the hell it is your opening before doing so. Do Unix users open all their files in a text editor first? lol. Please explain, I'm totally baffled by this.

{{ WugFresh }}

I mean everything Unix sees is a file. Disks are files, the screen is a file, etc...

Extensions are only really meaningful in Windows. Even on a Mac it just tell it what program(s) to call to open it but you could delete the extension and you could still open with the right program.

A file runs have a user id user and that user only has permissions to alter and change things he owns. Never root. Understanding Unix: Philosophy and Design Decisions :: Chapter 15: Utilizing Unix :: Part IV: Mastering Your Mac--Security, Maintenance, and Unix :

Windows has mixed what needs admin/user permissions I am not sure they are even sure anymore. Which is how exploits mange to squeeze though.. Also so closely tying things to the browser in Windows was probably a real bad idea in hindsight.

That was a really informative read, thank you. That description reaffirmed why I hate macs, and why I must convert to Unix. I love everything I hear about Unix, it makes so much more sense to me. It actually treats the user like they know what they are doing.

{{ WugFresh }}

LOL I tricked you the second link is Mac security. Mac IS Unix remember?

Lol..crap..whatever... it was bound to happen eventually, you have been breaking down my wall for some time now. But I really meant Linux then. Just trying to hold to what I know, but I realized today that even If I start learning linux/Unix.. it doesn't mean I will suddenly forget all my knowledge about windows.

{{ WugFresh }}

I just had an epiphany, I have a theory how viruses will be spread, call me crazy, but hear me out, this is a scheme I forsee:

Hackers will launch an underground advertising campaign where they will market desirable apps, probably something sex related, and instead of publishing them to the market, they will print short text based ads with QR Codes on white labels and then stick them all over the place, like in major cities, on the subway, in coffee shops, in bathrooms, in any public area; you know as a fact that anyone who wasn't aware, would use their barcode scanner app to see what was up, it will automatically link them to a direct download or an auto executing script. Probably even better than an advertisement , just a rouge QR code printed on a label stuck somewhere, play to peoples innate curiosity. Maybe even at first they won't publish any viruses at all, just post QR codes that link to funny websites, turn it into some sort underground joke or phenomena. Or make it like a scavenger hunt game with a promised prize, like if you find all the QR codes you win. Basically get people comfortable with the idea of scanning rouge QR codes, and then one day start posting ones that are actually virulent. Everyone will be F***, and no one will see it coming, until now, because I predicted the future, LOL, or maybe caused it... whoops

Either way, I see QR codes being exploited one way or another, for good or for evil.

Who likes my theory? Crazy, or Crazy True? Lol.. all comments welcome.

{{ WugFresh }}

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links