Do You Need Anti-Virus Protection?

This is a discussion on Do You Need Anti-Virus Protection? within the Android Forum forums, part of the Android Discussions category; Do You Need Anti-Virus Protection? Its very rare for hackers to develop viruses to target open source operating like android however I wouldn't rule out ...

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do You Need Anti-Virus Protection?

Its very rare for hackers to develop viruses to target open source operating like android however I wouldn't rule out the possibility entirely. Since these devices are becoming increasingly popular and users rely on them for transmitting confidential information, like credit card numbers numbers, when making online purchases... there is some incentive for hackers to create a few nasty bugs and put them in circulation. However the benefit of open source operating systems is that there are a lot more eyes watching what's going on than on a proprietary os like windows. For this reason it becomes extraordinarily difficult for someone to publish a malicious app that goes unnoticed. Chances are that any virus will be detected and exposed to the rest of the android community long before it becomes a real threat. Therefore communication will remain the best anti-virus we have. With blog sites, twitter, RSS feeds, and forums... information will spread a thousand times faster than any virus.

As of right now there are no known viruses on the Google app market. The risk factor only comes in when downloading apps from third party sites and markets. If you are downloading from alternate sources, know what it is your downloading before doing so. Only deliberate downloads... search, not browse. Like I needed z4 root so I sought it out and downloaded it, but I never would go on a third party market site and just download any app that sounded cool.

Using an anti-virus app like lookout is kind of pointless because it doesn't utilize a regularly updated database of known virus to check for... because there aren't any (except one trojan found in china). Also please note that there are ways to program malicious apps that would never get flagged. Any virus that would actually pose a real threat to android users would have to be brand new.. and most likely it would be exposed through channels of communication long before lookout did anything about it.

If this were to ever happen which I highly doubt, you could always sbf and be good as new. No virus is going to be able to go any deeper than developers have... therefore like any app it can be effectively removed. The bootloader for most of these devices is locked and will remain that way (unless the manufactures all of a sudden decide to release the keys)... therefore you will always be able to boot into stock recovery mode and do a factory reset; unless of course you brick... but then you always have the option to sbf.

In conclusion, quit your worrying.. your probably not going to get a bug...and certainly don't bother with anti-virus apps like Lookout that provide a false sense of security. Just stay informed, be smart about what you download, and enjoy your android device.

{{ WugFresh }}

2. # ADS
    Ads
    Google Advertisement
    Android.net is the premier Android Forum on the internet.

Super Moderator/RS furbearingmammal's Avatar
    Two hours north of Syracuse, NY. Yes, there IS civilization that far north.
    Twitter
    FurryVarmint
    Oh, and make sure you're not installing apps from untrusted sources. What does this mean? Don't pirate; it's bad for your phone as well as the community as a whole.

Don't install apps from non-market sources unless you know and trust the source. Do NOT install any apps from a friend as you don't know where they came from. And for the love of all that's Android, do NOT install anything texted to you, regardless of the source!

I have not used AV on any computer in 10 years. It is a windows thing plus a little common sense.

Beamed from my DroidX

Super Moderator/RS psychotic_penguin's Avatar
    Twitter
    @pternahan
    That's because you're a Mac guy DD, unfortunate Windows users are under attack daily. This is prompting me to take a hard look at my next choice of machine.

Anti-Virus on my DX....no, is it needed.....not really at this point, but as FBM mentioned you need to be careful what content you choose to download.
    Last edited by psychotic_penguin; 01-15-2011 at 05:06 PM.

Twitter
    FurryVarmint
    I'd move to Linux tomorrow if I could get all my old games and applications running.

No windows is easy to compromise. I wrote viruses for fun back in the day.

Beamed from my DroidX

Twitter
    hotTACOcheese
    Quote Originally Posted by Debian Dog View Post
    No windows is easy to compromise. I wrote viruses for fun back in the day.

Beamed from my DroidX
    To put on the internet? Or to put on an old computer just for fun?

Sent from my ADR6300 using Android.net App

There is not much to look at in this signature.

Quote Originally Posted by htc(hot-taco-cheese) View Post
    To put on the internet? Or to put on an old computer just for fun?

Sent from my ADR6300 using Android.net App
    LoL there was no internet when I wrote them. (as you know it) You would load them to boot sectors of floppys or includethem in exes

Beamed from my DroidX

Twitter
    FurryVarmint
    I remember those days. I loved playing Spectre on my Mac, Pathways Into Darkness...

Different times, different devices.

Without root access, a virus can't do anything to a Linux install. However, malware is something else entirely. Antivirus on a Droid wouldn't do much for malware at present.

Super Moderator/RS psychotic_penguin's Avatar
    Twitter
    @pternahan
    I have Ubuntu loaded on my laptop, the only thing holding me back would be access to Quicken so I can keep a line on finances. I saw a program that allows it, but I'm looking for other options atm
    Last edited by psychotic_penguin; 01-15-2011 at 06:31 PM.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Ads