To Root Or Not to Root?

This is a discussion on To Root Or Not to Root? within the Android Forum forums, part of the Android Discussions category; That is the question... What is Root? Root is simply; gaining access to system files you normally wouldn't be able to see/modify as a non-root ...

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: To Root Or Not to Root?

To Root Or Not to Root?

That is the question...

What is Root?

Root is simply; gaining access to system files you normally wouldn't be able to see/modify as a non-root user. What does that mean? After you root you will be able to see the full directory structure of everything on the phone rather than just being limited to the files on your sdcard and certain files on your phones internal storage. Getting root access does not make a radical change to your device and is entirely reversible. You do not have to worry about any complications that will derive from the act of rooting itself; the problems root users encounter happen after they root due to misuse of the increased level of file access. This shouldn't prevent you from rooting, simply educate yourself of how to avoid those potential problems, and know, like all computer problems there are always ways to resolve them with little patience and some reading. Again, all root access does is expose files that would otherwise be unseen/unavailable for you to mess with. Having this increased level of file access gives you control over the android os and opens up endless possibilities ranging from improved/new functionality to being able to make modifications to the visual appearance; It's like difference between having a guest account vs having an administrator account on windows, or being able to see hidden files vs being limited to user files; it allows you to do more but also enables you to mess things up.

All of these options will be fun and interesting for you to explore but please remember, the very first thing you should do after you root is make a full ROM backup (aka nandroid). Once you do that, you are golden; If you screw up in the future, like accidentally delete something you weren't suppose to ect... its no problem, you just flash back to your nandroid backup and everything will be all good again

In my opinion android devices are meant to be rooted, they just put a seat belt on the os so that Verizon wouldn't have to deal with people who brick their phone. Don't worry, that's what these forums are for.

• Best advice is to do a little research, ask some questions, and make frequent nandroid backups, you should be fine and will be way happier with your phone.

• Even in the most severe circumstance, where your phone becomes completely inoperable (aka brick) you can always perform a procedure known as sbf'ing and get back to a 100% factory state.

REASONS NOT TO ROOT:

• You are 100% satisfied with everything about your phone as it, in its bone stock state; and have no interest in exploring other options.
    • You don't care about actually understanding the technology you purchased and are content being an average user.
    • You don't want to improved your battery life or make your phone faster.
    • You don't want any of the apps on the market that require root access.
    • You are petrified of any type of trouble shooting on your own.
    • You love all the blur and bloatware on the phone and have no interest in removing any of it.
    • You have mistakenly confused your android phone for an iPhone
    • You have mistakenly confused the term open-source to mean proprietary
    • You are a goody-two shoes and want to play by the rules
    • You like being told what to do
    • You use your phone as a hat

REASONS TO ROOT

• You realize all of the reasons not to root are ridiculous.
    • You are finally ready to take off the training wheels.... lol

HOW TO ROOT

Z4Root Troubleshooting;
    • First just try permanent root, if it stalls; battery pull and repeat.
    • If that doesn't work try temporary root first and then permanent root
    • Sometime it helps to Bluetooth Toggle or Toggle Airplane mode
    • If your are still getting endless stalls try short pressing home button 'mid-root' to let z4root run in the background momentarily and then long press home to pull up recent activities and return to z4Root
    • If it fails, try, try, and try again. Noting bad is going to happen... either you get root or you don't.

Alternatively if z4 doesn't work on your device, use:
    UniversalAndroot-1.6.2-beta5.apk

WHAT TO DO AFTER YOU ROOT

{{ WugFresh }}
    Last edited by WugFresh; 01-25-2011 at 02:05 PM.

2. # ADS
    Ads
    Google Advertisement
    Android.net is the premier Android Forum on the internet.

Reserved.

{{ WugFresh }}
    anonymous-x likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by WugFresh View Post
    What is Root?
    *You realize all of the reasons not to root are ridiculous.
    *You are finally ready to take off the training wheels.... lol
    this is funny haha good job btw

Any suggestions for improving the information presented in this thread are welcome.

Additionaly, if people have question's, comments, or concerns regarding root, please feel free to chime in.

@saikano17, glad you like it and found it humorous.

{{ WugFresh }}
    anonymous-x likes this.

That post at dfx forums is what finally convinced me to root.

I briefly took off my chicken suit and rooted, and installed the apex ROM. I have since put the chicken suit back on and havent done anything more. (overclock, wireless tether etc) But, it was well worth doing and I am very happy with the results!

One of these days.. I will take the suit back off and try and do those other things.

I'm glad you found my post convincing, that was my primary intention when I wrote it; I want people realize there is nothing to be afraid of and rooting is a no-brainer decision. If you need help feeling more comfortable about doing any other root procedures, please feel free to ask. As far as tethering is concerned, if you don't want to flash the Team Black Hat 3G Hotspot Patch (which you can easily do by following 3G Hotspot Patch) you can always use the new Wireless Tether, its no longer ad-hoc and actually sets up the true wireless network infrastructure just like 3G Hotspot. wireless_tether_2_0_6.apk. Overclocking is just a matter of testing and seeing how high you can go without your phone becoming unstable, its really not that hard. Or you can get the app QuickClock to overclock your device and also have it automatically determine the best undervolt settings for you. There's nothing to fear only to learn.

{{ WugFresh }}
    anonymous-x likes this.

i agree rooted is the way to go

Twitter
    _B0BB0_
    Quote Originally Posted by anonymous-x View Post
    Great conversation but for us idiots,why don't you include the easiest & complete directions with you're thread. You know there's no reason not to concidering this would really help the development of Android.net. So what do you say? Or is this just going to be a coffee shop talk with no substance...

Sent from my DROIDX using Android.net App
    Follow the z4 root link in my signature for the one click root option.
    anonymous-x likes this.

@anonymous x
    Edit: I would be happy to include instructions on how to root. I appreciate your suggestion!

@Droid-Xer
    Can you help me write some universal instructions? Can all phones use z4 root? I really do think we should get that worked out.

{{ WugFresh }}

Twitter
    _B0BB0_
    Just follow the link to z4 in my sig. Wicked has the list of compatible phones. Just ask him if you can ninja that from him or just post a link up to the z4 thread in android rooting subforum.
    anonymous-x likes this.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Ads