Android Updates

This is a discussion on Android Updates within the Android Forum forums, part of the Android Discussions category; Pardon my ignorance. I'm planning to buy a Android powered mobile phone. I need some clarifications. 1. Is there any limitation for android updates based ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Android Updates

Android Updates

Pardon my ignorance.

I'm planning to buy a Android powered mobile phone. I need some clarifications.

1. Is there any limitation for android updates based on the processor speed of the mobile phone.

2. Can I update the android OS myself or have to depend on the manufacturer.

Thanks in advance.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Twitter
    spaz33g
    As for number 1 there is as of yet no hardware limitations to updates. That brings us to number 2, depending on what your manufacturer is it may take extremely long to get updates (samsung) but depending on how hackable the phone is you may be able to load a system version before it is officially available.

tappin and a talkin

Kind of a tricky question but I will do my best to answer it. All the Android devices are upgradable. The bigger question is will all the carriers update ALL their models? I don't have a definitive answer to that but from what I've been reading they will all be getting upgraded. Then as spaz pointed out you have to deal with timelines. HTC and Motorola are great about updating their phones but with Moto some of their lesser devices are way slower to get the updates. Samsung so far has been slow to get their updates out but that may or may not change. So if you go with a Samsung it's going to be a gamble.

As far as installing the updates yourself: Assuming you are just going to buy the phone and leave it as is, YES you will have to wait for the manufacturer to release an update.

I hope that answers your question.

Twitter
    @Dorian_At_ATT
    Updates are fastest in this order... HTC > Motorola > Samsung > Sony Ericsson ... LG is an unknown quantity here IMO, since they haven't yet released a true high-end Android handset.

In order of hack-ability... HTC > Samsung > Motorola > Sony Ericsson ... LG is the same here as above.

Basically:
    HTC usually updates pretty much all their phones on a solid pace, they're also the easiest to tinker with because the drivers for most every HTC device are AOSP, and can be used by anyone willing to download the source. Custom ROM's exist for pretty much every HTC phone made.
    Samsung makes spectacular hardware, but their update history in the US is bad... but Samsung phones are among the easiest to hack all around, and their support from the dev community is very good. Custom ROM's exist for most all of Samsung's phones as well.
    Motorola is good with updates on their higher end devices, while the lower end often gets forgotten... hello Backflip. Motorola also employs encrypted, locked bootloaders that make it very difficult to hack. Since Moto locks down their hardware, custom ROM's and such take some time to appear. Usually a month or two... but there are ROM's developed for almost all of Moto's phones as well.
    Sony Ericsson is terribly slow at updates, and since their phones are also locked down the dev community passes on most SE phones... so there's not really too much out there for current SE models.
    Last edited by Dorian; 01-19-2011 at 06:02 AM.

Need Assistance? Contact me at dorian@android.net

There is a limitation based on processor speed. The official processor requirement for Android 2.3 is a 1Ghz processor. Phones with a processor speed less that 1Ghz will Not get android 2.3 officially, they might however get it if a developer includes it in his/her rom.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    New to Android or just need a refresher course, Abe has you covered
    "Guidelines of Conduct" for Android.net
    Respect is number 1 in the Forums.

We are the droid owners
    Resistance is Futile, YOU Will be Assimilated...

Twitter
    androiddotnet
    ^ This is still a highly argued point within the community - GB does run at 800Mhz

Hasn't google come out and said the current versions of android have no minimum requirements? Or is that 0.8-1 ghz based on community testing?

Sent from my Droid using Android.net App

Quote Originally Posted by tp76 View Post
    ^ This is still a highly argued point within the community - GB does run at 800Mhz
    I have no boubt that GB would run at 800mhz but I believe that the Official requirement is still 1Ghz. Let me put that another way. Will phones running at 800mhz like the T-mobile G2 get an official OTA for GB?

Sent from my Droid using Android.net App
    New to Android or just need a refresher course, Abe has you covered
    "Guidelines of Conduct" for Android.net
    Respect is number 1 in the Forums.

We are the droid owners
    Resistance is Futile, YOU Will be Assimilated...

I'm pretty sure that one of Google's employees already said there are no hardware requirements for both GB and Honeycomb. I believe he said something like if there were minimum requirements, I think I would know about it.
    How well they'll run is another question. GB runs fine on my OG Droid.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

I also remember hearing their will be no requirements for Gingerbread/Honeycomb.

Sent from my DROIDX using Android.net App

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links