I just played with the Nexus S, I am ready for some real talk about Gingerbread and

This is a discussion on I just played with the Nexus S, I am ready for some real talk about Gingerbread and within the Android Forum forums, part of the Android Discussions category; I want to talk about gingerbread, motorola, blur, and sense. First having a clean device such as the nexus that was free of blur was ...

Thread: I just played with the Nexus S, I am ready for some real talk about Gingerbread and

I just played with the Nexus S, I am ready for some real talk about Gingerbread and

I want to talk about gingerbread, motorola, blur, and sense. First having a clean device such as the nexus that was free of blur was fast and smooth. But having blur I must say I now understand what motorola and HTC is doing. To some the standard google rom is boring, blur and sense adds their flavor to it. With that said adding a UI on top of the android o.s can NOT weigh it down to a point where it fails to function properly. The complaint about the At&t iphone is that it does not fulfill its function as a phone that well. And that is where we are at with motoblur where it just functions horribly. I like how industrial motorola devices are built but I can buy an otterbox for 40 bucks. I want your feelings... me personally, I am coming up on the end of my contract and I dont know what to buy because I want a dual core but I am seeing the droid devices take a nose dive.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Twitter
    androiddotnet
    The locked bootloader isn't a deal breaker for me - stock performance is, and with dual core and 4G LTE the devices of 2011 should not upset

I feel the exact same way. Never have I been so conflicted about what to buy. Not mention Google I/O is right around the corner and a new version of Android may be released and a lot of phones may not even have GB by then. I would prefer a stock experience, but it's getting harder and harder to find stock devices. I like Motorola build quality but they are so locked down and I don't think the BLUR experience will be so good that I won't want to put custom roms on it. HTC leaves something to be desired quality wise. Samsung updates take forever and LG is unproven. What to do, what to do?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Twitter
    garemlin
    Funny I was playing with the nexus S last weekend at Best Buy. I must say I was pretty impressed with it's speed and smoothness. And I can see what you are saying about the stock ROM being boring to some. Sense and Blur add eye candy and fancy do-dads that the "average joe" loves. But Sense does it right. They make it look good but retain the zippiness. Blur just seems to bog down.

Twitter
    @Dorian_At_ATT
    See the thing about Blur and Sense is that they don't add actual functionality. They add convenience, which is mostly unneeded. Though take TouchWiz for example... it integrates some things into the stock Contacts app, like swipe left over a contacts name to call them, or swipe right to message them. Or the hardware toggles in the notification area. Those are things that add serious value to the software, and something I can safely say Blur does absolutely none of. Blur is absolutely not needed, especially now that the Facebook app is getting better, and there are so many quality software choices in the Market for social network integration and "live-feed" support. Sense has the backend online services, and I find those pretty nicely implemented.

Overall though, Gingerbread has plenty of aesthetic appeal, without the real need for eyecandy or the need for some OEM to "dress it up".

Need Assistance? Contact me at dorian@android.net

To be honest even with the locked bootloader I don't see that big of a problem:

I have a d1 and (while I'm no expert as I only got into the scene as an x-er) the DX already does 99% of what the D1 can do -

flash custom roms
    have a custom recovery
    overclock <- dx's overclock is even better since the custom module let's you overclock on the fly without flashing a different kernel

the only thing that we can't do is provide support to various filetypes on a kernel level like on the d1 which hasn't been an issue to me as of yet...

If I'm incorrect please enlighten me but I just don't see the problem tbh - the DX rocks...hard.

I just realized after posting that you require at least a little bit of blur on your roms, but usually the good stuff stays and the bad stuff goes imho
    <- ignore the dancing android - I want to murder everyone

That's the thing. I want a true AOSP rom that actually adds functionality. From that I understand you cant get that with a locked bootloader.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links