Running Services

This is a discussion on Running Services within the Android Forum forums, part of the Android Discussions category; Hi, this is my first post, so hello to everybody. I have just upgraded to the new Samsung Galaxy Ace & so far I'm loving ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By GrahamF

Thread: Running Services

Running Services

Hi, this is my first post, so hello to everybody.
    I have just upgraded to the new Samsung Galaxy Ace & so far I'm loving it. I'm not really a techie so I have a couple of basic questions - I have several services that seem to be permanently running in the background, are they necessary or can they be stopped to save my battery? ie/ DMservice, screencaptureservice, OmaDrmConfigService, Google messaging service? How do I know which apps to stop from time to time? Is there a good task killer app that will tell me which services I am not using? Thank U.

2. # ADS
    Ads
    Google Advertisement
    Android.net is the premier Android Forum on the internet.

Twitter
    @Dorian_At_ATT
    Basically if they're services they don't need to be bothered... that's a good way to start having random reboots.

Processes on the other hand can be stopped with no consequence. And generally, if you run froyo, you really don't need a task killer at all. But if you think you might get some use out of one, only kill third party apps with it... none of the system processes or services need killed.

Sent from Spacial Grid 325, Terra 001

Need Assistance? Contact me at dorian@android.net

Twitter
    guidot42
    If it seems as your battery is dying faster than usual, you can try OSMonitor to see where the load is.

Don't use a task killer though. Android has excellent memory management.

Like others have said don't worry too much about killing services. I do however recommend that you go through your apps and unistall the ones you don't use much as some of those apps can run in the background hogging resources. Sometimes when my phone reacts sluggish I check services. Last time I had 7mb ram left so I deleted few apps that I didn't like and bam back up to 70mb ram free. I also like to clear data before uninstalling apps. I have found really old files and folders on my sd card. Its a PITA to go through and kill them later.

Sent from my Droid using Android.net App

What's a Bieber?

Running Services

Hi everyone, thank you for the info, it seems to me that 2.2.1 Froyo manages most things for me!
    On the subjest of RAM, I have the "clear memory" option, but it warns that clearing it will finish some applications from running. Save data before clearing. Will this be a problem if I clear the memory from time to time, or again should I leave well alone for Froyo to manage?? Thanx in advance. Graham
    sadness likes this.

Ads