My gripes with Motorola Droid

This is a discussion on My gripes with Motorola Droid within the Android Forum forums, part of the Android Discussions category; I have had this phone now since it was announced last year. It is the first "smart" phone I have owned and I like many ...

Thread: My gripes with Motorola Droid

My gripes with Motorola Droid

I have had this phone now since it was announced last year. It is the first "smart" phone I have owned and I like many features; however, there are some things that drive me absolutely nuts about this phone:

1. When I get an incoming call and remove the phone from the holster I often touch something that kicks the phone into some mode where I can NEVER get back to the call answering/swipe screen. When I go to the phone ap it wants to set up an outgoing call. The incoming call finally goes to voice mail and I have to call back. Maddening!

2. After talking to someone, if I don't hang up the phone AND sleep the Droid, it starts making out-going calls automatically. Can't tell you how many times this has happened. I cannot seem to pin down exactly what it wants me to do to stop this. Maddening!

3. The wireless function is flawed. It is set up to connect to my home Wi-fi with all of the required codes. Half the time it shows it is connected, but it is not, as evidenced by the inability to load Internet content. I have to go in, shut down the wireless, reconnect, and then return to what I was doing on the ap requiring the high speed connection. Maddening!

4. I have to keep resetting the display "on" time. It seems to have a mind of its own and it resets my display time to 15 seconds periodically. This means I am often reading content when the phone goes to sleep. Maddening!

5. There are installed aps that clutter up my desktop on the phone, and I cannot seem to get rid of them no matter what I do. There needs to be an uninstall ap, or an archiving ap, that will allow one to clean up the clutter on the desk top.

Those are just the main things. There are others. Good start, Google, but keep at the improvements!

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Twitter
    verwon
    As to the apps on your homescreens, even though you can't uninstall them, you can usually just move or delete those icons.

Beamed down to the earthlings from the Sexy Goddess's eVo!

Super Moderator/RS furbearingmammal's Avatar
    Two hours north of Syracuse, NY. Yes, there IS civilization that far north.
    Twitter
    FurryVarmint
    Quote Originally Posted by wizardchef View Post
    I have had this phone now since it was announced last year. It is the first "smart" phone I have owned and I like many features; however, there are some things that drive me absolutely nuts about this phone:

1. When I get an incoming call and remove the phone from the holster I often touch something that kicks the phone into some mode where I can NEVER get back to the call answering/swipe screen. When I go to the phone ap it wants to set up an outgoing call. The incoming call finally goes to voice mail and I have to call back. Maddening!

2. After talking to someone, if I don't hang up the phone AND sleep the Droid, it starts making out-going calls automatically. Can't tell you how many times this has happened. I cannot seem to pin down exactly what it wants me to do to stop this. Maddening!

3. The wireless function is flawed. It is set up to connect to my home Wi-fi with all of the required codes. Half the time it shows it is connected, but it is not, as evidenced by the inability to load Internet content. I have to go in, shut down the wireless, reconnect, and then return to what I was doing on the ap requiring the high speed connection. Maddening!

4. I have to keep resetting the display "on" time. It seems to have a mind of its own and it resets my display time to 15 seconds periodically. This means I am often reading content when the phone goes to sleep. Maddening!

5. There are installed aps that clutter up my desktop on the phone, and I cannot seem to get rid of them no matter what I do. There needs to be an uninstall ap, or an archiving ap, that will allow one to clean up the clutter on the desk top.

Those are just the main things. There are others. Good start, Google, but keep at the improvements!
    1. What holster is this?

2. Do you notice any other bizarre behaviors with the touch screen?

3. Droid-series Motorola phones do not like one type of encryption. I believe it's WEP. Try WPA 2 or no encryption at all.

4. Try touching the screen once in a while. This is a temporary fix.

5. Desktop or app drawer? Have you tried another launcher?

6. Are you rooted or stock? If rooted are you stock or ROM'd? Are you running the latest version of the stock software if stock? Have you done a factory reset at all since you got the phone? Have you installed any apps recently? Has this problem been going on for an extended period of time? Can you think of anything else that might help us diagnose this issue?
    DO NOT WRITE IN THIS SPACE
    THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Quote Originally Posted by furbearingmammal View Post
    1. What holster is this?

2. Do you notice any other bizarre behaviors with the touch screen?

3. Droid-series Motorola phones do not like one type of encryption. I believe it's WEP. Try WPA 2 or no encryption at all.

4. Try touching the screen once in a while. This is a temporary fix.

5. Desktop or app drawer? Have you tried another launcher?

6. Are you rooted or stock? If rooted are you stock or ROM'd? Are you running the latest version of the stock software if stock? Have you done a factory reset at all since you got the phone? Have you installed any apps recently? Has this problem been going on for an extended period of time? Can you think of anything else that might help us diagnose this issue?
    1. A phone case that fits onto my belt. No way to extract the phone without touching something that sends the phone into some kind of mode other than "answer."

2. Not particularly.

3. It is WPA. The problem is not that I can't log in. The problem is that the phone just drops the connection somehow but it still shows that I am connected. Or, maybe it doesn't drop the connection completely, but whatever connection it thinks it is making is not allowing me to access the broadband wifi Internet connection.

4. I know that. But, why have the setting selection if it is going to just reset it periodically? At first I thought it did it on shutdown, but it does it other times as well.

5. OK, ap drawer, if that is the correct vernacular. What would another launcher have to do with not being able to rid myself of aps or icons I don't want??

6. Sorry, I don't understand what rooted or stock means. Have not done any kind of reset since I got the phone, but Verizon has done a couple of software updates on the OS over the last year. These problems have always been there.

Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    As to the apps on your homescreens, even though you can't uninstall them, you can usually just move or delete those icons.

I don't know how you get rid of an icon. If I try to drag them to the trash, they just pop right back up. I don't see any way in the widget manager to delete them, unless I missed it. Take for example, I use gmail and I have the gmail ap on my phone. The phone comes with another built-in email ap. So, I cannot seem to get rid of the builit-in email ap and it duplicates the stuff in my gmail. I get two notices that I have unread mail, for example. Another example is text messaging. I like Handcent and would like to have it to be the only ap that responds to my incoming text messages. But no! There seems to be a built-in ap for texting that intercepts my incoming messages, and although I have gone in and set Handcent as the default text messaging ap, the other built-in ap continues to pop up my message. So, I have to go in, kill that ap, go to the home screen, fire up Handcent, and then finally read the message. Gottabe an easier way!!

Twitter
    verwon
    Oh, yeah it won't let you get rid of those, unless you're rooted. But you can remove the account from that email app and disable its notifications, so you don't keep getting doubles. I prefer the gmail app, so just turned everything off in the other app.

Just found your advice about that on another forum and did just that. I also found some instructions that will clear up my conflict between the built-in SMS and Handcent. That helps!!

Twitter
    verwon
    Yeah, you'll get double notifications for everything, if you don't disable the ones for the stock apps.

jev
    Your problems seem to be specific for your phone. I've never had any problems you've had. You definitely should be able to remove everything from your homescreen by dragging them to the trash can. That, plus the wifi and crazy call malfunctions lead me to believe that something is amiss with your phone. Have you tried a factory reset? It can be a bit of a pain to get your phone set back up the way you like it, but it may help.

Twitter
    @Dorian_At_ATT
    Quote Originally Posted by wizardchef View Post
    3. It is WPA. The problem is not that I can't log in. The problem is that the phone just drops the connection somehow but it still shows that I am connected. Or, maybe it doesn't drop the connection completely, but whatever connection it thinks it is making is not allowing me to access the broadband wifi Internet connection.
    Sounds like DNS issues. If you can, have you tried manually setting a static IP for the phone, then setting the DNS addresses in Network Settings or the router? If something goes awry with DNS, you can be connected to the internet just fine, but without DNS server addresses the phone won't be able to resolve URL's to IP.

Some really good free DNS services...

OpenDNS: 208.67.220.220, 208.67.222.222
    Google DNS: 8.8.4.4, 8.8.8.8
    Level 3: 4.2.2.1, 4.2.2.2

Need Assistance? Contact me at dorian@android.net

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links