keeping up with the times, new phone selection

This is a discussion on keeping up with the times, new phone selection within the Android Forum forums, part of the Android Discussions category; Hello everyone, First just want to say hi before diving into my first post here. Sorry this topic is probably getting old, but I could ...

Thread: keeping up with the times, new phone selection

keeping up with the times, new phone selection

Hello everyone,

First just want to say hi before diving into my first post here. Sorry this topic is probably getting old, but I could use some help in selecting my first android phone. I'm currently living in the Dominican Republic and might be back in the US with a year. For this reason, I need an unlocked phone. Two phones I had been looking at are the HTC Desire HD and now the Nexus S. Trying to not go above $500...

Could you all help me out with a list of 5 or so android phones that are unlocked? I know new phones are coming out each week and that. Won't the newest and best, but I would like something that is up to date.

Thanks for all the help, greatly appreciated.

-Michael

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Twitter
    @Dorian_At_ATT
    Welcome to the forum!

Well, it seems the major operator there has all the bases covered... They have 1xEV/GSM/EDGE/UMTS.

Basically any Verizon or AT&T phone will work, as it's GSM/UMTS coverage is on 850/1900MHz and their 1xEV service is owned by VZW. T-Mobile phones will not work for 3G there, AFAIK.

Some unlocked phones that I know are the 850MHz variant of the Nexus S, which will be a tad hard to come by ATM. Another is the Dell Streak or Venue. For HTC you can get a Desire Z, Desire HD/Inspire. And for Samsung you can get a Galaxy S.

Need Assistance? Contact me at dorian@android.net

Quote Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
    Welcome to the forum!

Well, it seems the major operator there has all the bases covered... They have 1xEV/GSM/EDGE/UMTS.

Basically any Verizon or AT&T phone will work, as it's GSM/UMTS coverage is on 850/1900MHz and their 1xEV service is owned by VZW. T-Mobile phones will not work for 3G there, AFAIK.

Some unlocked phones that I know are the 850MHz variant of the Nexus S, which will be a tad hard to come by ATM. Another is the Dell Streak or Venue. For HTC you can get a Desire Z, Desire HD/Inspire. And for Samsung you can get a Galaxy S.
    Thanks for the help! I believe to info you posted is regarding the carrier "Claro." The other major carrier that has 3g is "Orange." Orange works on the 900 mhz band for their 3g, which opens my options. With that being said, does you list of phones change? The regular Nexus S should work fine with Orange I think. I like the htc Desire HD, but it lacks a front facing cam which I would like to have.

Opinions?

Thanks again!

Hey everyone, this thread needed a little more lovin... haha. I didnn't want to post a new thread cause my topic is pretty much similar to what i already posted here.

I'm in the market for my first android phone and have been looking at the Nexus S. It seems that there are a few new phones coming out this month though. I've been having trouble figuing out which ones will be availabe unlocked as the ohone i purchase must be unlocked. I can choose either an 850 or 900 mhz 3g nabd carrier so that isn't much of an issue.

If you guys could help me out with figuring out which of the new phones will be available unlocked that would be great... I've got the android itch and ready to scratch.

Thanks everyone!

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links