Spontaneous shutdown.

This is a discussion on Spontaneous shutdown. within the Android Forum forums, part of the Android Discussions category; I just got a Droid X. It seems to have the annoying habit of shutting itself down. Sometimes it restarts on its own, sometimes not. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spontaneous shutdown.

Android Lurker David Albert Desrosiers's Avatar

Spontaneous shutdown.

I just got a Droid X. It seems to have the annoying habit of shutting itself down. Sometimes it restarts on its own, sometimes not. Anybody run into this?

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Twitter
    @Dorian_At_ATT
    More and more, I'm seeing that as more of a Motorola issue.

We just got a bunch of Backflip's in from our warranter, for that exact issue. And they do it with no outwardly cause. It's odd. The Captivate had that issue, but it came down to the CPU having voltage issues causing the whole thing to crash and reboot... but that was only certain hardware revisions.

Anyone else with a Droid X have these issues and have software fix it?

Need Assistance? Contact me at dorian@android.net

I wonder if the chipset is overheating.

Twitter
    _B0BB0_
    Random reboots are a known issue on the Droid x. I would get one every few days on a stock x. Rooted and rommed and it happens once every blue moon now. My guess is its a moto system issue since a rom replaces the system. If rooting isn't for you then just call up vzw and get a replacement. They'll replace it. Just tell them you've tried numerous factory resets because that'll be their troubleshooting tool. It doesn't work. Factory reset doesn't touch the system.

Twitter
    @Dorian_At_ATT
    Hmm... ^With that in mind, my guess would be a kernel issue. The more the phone is used, the more apps that are open all the time and the more time the CPU is used at higher freq steps.

Reason I say that is, an overvolted kernel on the defective Captivate's resolved the issue totally. It was an overvolt of 50mV. But then the hardware itself was also defective, so it should be replaced...

I agree with Droid-Xer... replace it and see if that helps.

Anyone know if the Droid X's sold now are later revisions? Or does Motorola do that? They don't seem to indicate that on our Backflip's.
    Last edited by Dorian; 05-11-2011 at 03:40 AM.

Twitter
    _B0BB0_
    The ones moto are selling now seem to have some minor differences. Same thing with the refurbs they are using as replacements. I couldn't tell you off hand what the specific differences are but there are some. With the impending release of the dx2 it will get only muddier as it has some differences as well. It could be kernel voltage issues as the stock vsel is set pretty high. I believe stock vsel at 300mhz is 35 and I was able to lower it to 14vsel. Stock vsel at 1ghz is around 65 which I was able to lower to around 48vsel

Android Lurker David Albert Desrosiers's Avatar
    I've played with it some more, and I think I have the problem figured out. I was tapping the top power button thinking it would lock the phone, rather than having it wait to timeout. I think that I was the cause of the shutdowns. I'm monitoring it to see if the behavior continues. Since I have stopped touching the power button, I have not seen a recurrence since last night. The phone just arrived yesterday, and it's a Verizon CPO Droid X. I have a neighbor that has a CPO DX, and he's had zero problems with his since he got it. So, it looks like it may be the dreaded "user error."

Twitter
    _B0BB0_
    Could also be a rogue app or any number of different things. Keep us posted. Hope that's all it was.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
    Hmm... ^With that in mind, my guess would be a kernel issue. The more the phone is used, the more apps that are open all the time and the more time the CPU is used at higher freq steps.

Reason I say that is, an overvolted kernel on the defective Captivate's resolved the issue totally. It was an overvolt of 50mV. But then the hardware itself was also defective, so it should be replaced...

I agree with Droid-Xer... replace it and see if that helps.

Anyone know if the Droid X's sold now are later revisions? Or does Motorola do that? They don't seem to indicate that on our Backflip's.
    That's why I thought it could've been overheating.

Twitter
    @Dorian_At_ATT
    Quote Originally Posted by SLAG IT! View Post
    That's why I thought it could've been overheating.
    Yea, some of the Backflip's have that issue if you're charging them while using them. It's like playing "hot-potato". Then it just shuts off, and won't charge until it gets below 50C.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links