Reinstall wiped MY SD card

This is a discussion on Reinstall wiped MY SD card within the Android Forum forums, part of the Android Discussions category; Well I reinstalled Android 2.1 on my Telecon NZ V9 and for some unknown reason it decided to wipe MY sd card as well! Have ...

Thread: Reinstall wiped MY SD card

Reinstall wiped MY SD card

Well I reinstalled Android 2.1 on my Telecon NZ V9 and for some unknown reason it decided to wipe MY sd card as well! Have managed to move the same sd card form phone to phone for 3 years without any trouble at all - including reinstalls on different devices, but for some unknown reason Android decided that MY sd card was it's domain as well and wiped everything - 3yrs worth of photos, including those of my deceased daughter. Please I need help in getting them back!!

Also WHY did Android wipe MY sd card? I can understand it wiping the internal memory/storage of the phone...but why delete MY DATA. I am really, really angry right now. If I can't get my data back - the card was the backup for important photos on my PC (which was in shop getting Win7 reinstalled) - I will literally never see my daughter again. Shame on you Google! It's MY sd-card not YOURS!!!!!

Please, please help!

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Super Moderator/RS furbearingmammal's Avatar
    Two hours north of Syracuse, NY. Yes, there IS civilization that far north.
    Twitter
    FurryVarmint
    It shouldn't have done that unless you formatted the card or the card was in a format the OS couldn't recognize.

Your best bet is to get access to a PC and find a data recovery program you can run on the computer. As long as nothing's been written to the SD card you might be able to recover some or all of the data.

On the other hand, 3 years is a long time to be using the same card. The card itself may have failed.

to the forum!
    DO NOT WRITE IN THIS SPACE
    THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Thank you

Thanks, I will try that once I get my PC back.

I totally agree, it SHOULDN'T have done that. However, when I tried rooting the device a month or so back, it also told me that it was already rooted, so this makes me wonder if Telecom NZ have written their own crappy software that required the device to be rooted before it would run.

The SD card in question has been well looked after ie. it gets taken out and put back in its case most of the time, its just that this time I had copied photos from the device's internal storage to the SD card previous to doing the factory reinstall thingy, presuming that that would leave them safe. Though looking on the sd card itself from the device, it appears to have made folders like media and stuff like that, so I think its already been written to when the device was factory reset etc. I was not given any options when I did the factory reset, and did not make any choices regards whether the SD card would be formatted or not. Obviously, I would have chosen not to, had I been given the option. I've also just put it into a printer with an sd slot and the printer has no difficulty accessing the card, so am pretty certain that it's not corrupt.

I will still attempt to use a data-recovery program as you suggest, but am beginning to think that the combination of Android (2.1) and Telecom NZ have just destroyed MY data without a care in the world about what I actually want. I feel extremely disgruntled at both of them at the moment and will be buying a tablet that doesn't use Android for future use (and not from Telecom NZ). I will also be advising everybody I know to steer clear of this combination.

Thanks for your reply and help.

I'm a noobe entirely new to anything electronic. So don't expect this to be anything that can help you. But when you transfered pics from internal, you didn't install an app that needed certain permissions (like modify/delete sd card)? Sorry. Told you it would be useless (even if true it wouldn't help you any at this point anyways). I sure hope you retrieve them somehow..Pictures are definitely irreplaceable. Good luck to you.

Have you tried going into "file manager or root manager" to see if you can still see your files. I had a similar experience last week when I flashed a new Rom onto my Fascinate. I was still able to see my files in file manager, but my phone wasnt recognizing my sd card and claimed I didn't even have one. It took the better part of a day and flashing back to stock multiple times, but I was eventually able to recover it. (600+ photos, files and music) I feel for ya bud! Good luck and let us know how you make out after trying what FBM mentioned.

tap'n

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links