Need Help Converting to Android

This is a discussion on Need Help Converting to Android within the Android Forum forums, part of the Android Discussions category; Hi everyone! This is my first forum post I used to be a Windows Phone user since it was first released then I moved to ...

Thread: Need Help Converting to Android

Twitter
    Alfalasy

Need Help Converting to Android

Hi everyone! This is my first forum post

I used to be a Windows Phone user since it was first released then I moved to iPhone since almost two years ago. I also have a BlackBerry. I've been watching Android from far away, I played with some but never owned one. I am considering to buy one to replace my iPhone but I have some concerns as follows:

1. Is there a default software for Syncing with desktop compared to iTunes or ActiveSync?

2. What is the standard iCloud rival on Android?

3. How Apps gets updated on the device? is it via app store like iPhone?

4. What about firmware updates? Is it provided by each OEM separably or via Google/Android?

5. Dose any Android device work with Amazon eBooks? What is the link with Amazon since they have an Android based device?

6. Is there any virus threats on the Android OS?

7. Is there any issues with MS Outlook Exchange email? Capabilities, limitations and support? Can it sync also contacts and tasks?

9. I learned that there will be a Music store by Google, is it going to be restricted so some countries?

10. Can Double Twist player replace iTunes?

Thank you, I'm a newbie here so take it easy with me

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

welcome to the forum. let's see about those questions.
    1. android does not need special app for syncing. when you plug your android device into your pc and select mount, it literally becomes a usb flash drive and you can drag and drop or copy and paste anything from one side to the other.
    2. google services
    3. via android market, you will received a notification on your phone, select it and are taken directly to market and select update and it goes directly to phone.
    4. updates come from oem/carrier. oem's configure updates and send to carrier for testing, when given the all clear, they are sent out over the air to the phone.
    5. there's a free kindle app in the market, and many of the new phones come with this app preinstalled. also available are google books and nook for android.
    6. virus threat is very low if you only install apps from google market.
    7. i don't use exchange, but my understanding is that all work just fine.
    9. we will just have to wait til it's released and see where it's available.
    10. there are many, many users of double twist who claim it's just as good as itunes.

Twitter
    Alfalasy
    Thank you mamawm I appreciate the time you took to answer all my questions. I am excited to buy my first android phone soon.

So for syncing calendar, contacts, tasks and notes with outlook I'll have to use a 3rd party software for that since there is no standard Android software?

Twitter
    Alfalasy
    Thanks bengbeng

since i don't use outlook, i really don't know much about how it works, but i just came across this link on another forum. it's a bit pricey but seems like a true feature rich app and probably well worth the price if you need outlook for business. Sync Android with Outlook - Sync contacts and calendar -- CompanionLink Software

Twitter
    Alfalasy
    Thanks mamawm

Samsung uses Kies for their PC syncing software. I think Moto used to have a PC app as well. Kies works great for me.

Twitter
    Alfalasy
    I will try Kies as well thanks Ollie. I am concerned because there isn't a standard app for this so I will have to try and I hope there will be no issues.

Once you have Kies installed you don't have to plug your phone into your computer to sync it. It's pretty cool.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links