Odd question, but ipod touch user new to android and need to know a few things..

This is a discussion on Odd question, but ipod touch user new to android and need to know a few things.. within the Android Forum forums, part of the Android Discussions category; I wanted to get an Android device and have a few questions. I am tired of having to use itunes to do everything on that ...

Thread: Odd question, but ipod touch user new to android and need to know a few things..

Odd question, but ipod touch user new to android and need to know a few things..

I wanted to get an Android device and have a few questions. I am tired of having to use itunes to do everything on that "other" device. I just want to drag and drop music, videos etc without Apple looking over my shoulder, and having to use bloated buggy proprietary gatekeeper software.

I am looking for a device with an OLED screen that can run android apps. I considered a tablet but those are all LCD, so no dice. I know it is an odd thing to request OLED only but that is what I want for various reasons so please humor me.

So I considered buying an unlocked used Android based phone from ebay used as I can get those pretty cheap (older phones like Galaxy S etc). Those are the only devices I have found with Android AND OLED. I would then just use the device as a mini tablet device to play MP3s, videos, etc kind of like an iPod touch.

My questions are: Can a phone be used as such a device via wifi/computer connection or will it only operate while connected by a cellphone network with a contract?

If I can use it, what are the limitations (other than no phone calls, duh) and how would I do it? Can it still access the web at wifi hotspots? Can new android apps be downloaded, upgraded, installed etc through wifi or computer transfer? How much is blocked off on a non networked phone?

Can the version of Android be upgraded or is the device stuck with the pre-installed version?

Thanks. I will hopefully join the Android army if I can work these things out.
    Last edited by DaveC19; 11-08-2011 at 12:06 AM.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Quote Originally Posted by DaveC19 View Post
    My questions are: Can a phone be used as such a device via wifi/computer connection?
    Yes

If I can use it, what are the limitations (other than no phone calls, duh) and how would I do it?
    Should be able to connect trough wifi

Can it still access the web at wifi hotspots?
    Yes

Can new android apps be downloaded, upgraded, installed etc through wifi or computer transfer?
    Yes

Can the version of Android be upgraded or is the device stuck with the pre-installed version?
    Yes, if you root it.

Ok thanks.

Can I still access Android marketplace too? If so what would I need?

Does the phone need a sim card or something, if so what if it doesn't have one?

Is rooting it hard? Do I need an extensive knowledge of android/linux to do it or is it as simple as copying a file to a certain spot and running it?

Ok thanks.

Can I still access Android marketplace too? If so what would I need?

Does the phone need a sim card or something, if so what if it doesn't have one?

Is rooting it hard? Do I need an extensive knowledge of android/linux to do it or is it as simple as copying a file to a certain spot and running it?
    1 and 2. Android Market place can be accessed on a device that is not locked by a network provider. I have a Nexus S that I can use with any SIM, and I can use it without SIM as a media unit and install apps etc.
    2. Rooting depends on devices. Some of them can be rooted with one button, but some are pain in the butt. Like, again, Nexus S.

Quote Originally Posted by hugedroid View Post
    1 and 2. Android Market place can be accessed on a device that is not locked by a network provider. I have a Nexus S that I can use with any SIM, and I can use it without SIM as a media unit and install apps etc.
    2. Rooting depends on devices. Some of them can be rooted with one button, but some are pain in the butt. Like, again, Nexus S.
    Thanks. How about the Samsung Galaxy S i997 4G Infuse, is that hard to root?

Also if it is locked to a carrier is it hard to unlock?
    Last edited by DaveC19; 11-09-2011 at 10:59 PM.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links