video chat on generic Android 2.3 Tablet

This is a discussion on video chat on generic Android 2.3 Tablet within the Android Forum forums, part of the Android Discussions category; have been looking into some generic chinese tablets out there -- great stuff but the descriptions are hard to decipher and often contradictory. Many say ...

Thread: video chat on generic Android 2.3 Tablet

video chat on generic Android 2.3 Tablet

have been looking into some generic chinese tablets out there -- great stuff but the descriptions are hard to decipher and often contradictory.

Many say the product (10"tablet running android 2.3) has a front camera that can record video, but maybe can or can not count as a webcam and even if they say it works as a web cam most say it is impossible to use for things like skype video chat.

so many say it is not possible, it makes me question the 5% that say it is possible.

But It seems to me that a tablet running android 2.3 with a front camera that can record video should be able to do video skype, or at least Fring and Tango, no?

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Super Moderator/RS furbearingmammal's Avatar
    Two hours north of Syracuse, NY. Yes, there IS civilization that far north.
    Twitter
    FurryVarmint
    Not if the drivers were proprietary and only work with some obscure program developed by the hardware manufacturer and the tablet maker didn't negotiate licensing fees.
    DO NOT WRITE IN THIS SPACE
    THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

You mean the drivers for the video camera?

Sorry I'm new to android and am still learning.

I imagine odds are pretty good that a generic tablet maker would just use off the shelf code?

(I'm not arguing, just explaining the thought process. Dont know enough about android to be able to disagree

btw the tablet is called a zenithink zt280 (10")

Twitter
    FurryVarmint
    Another possibility is the resolution is so low, and the shutter speed so sluggish, that even if you could use it the results would be so shoddy as to be worthless.

For a good example of what off-the-shelf code looks like, boot up a Windows XP PC in safe mode and compare that to the regular resolution used by the monitor/graphics system. Without the proper drivers the default video setup is a failsafe; low-resolution option that works with everything, but has no access to the higher functions the hardware is capable of -- if it works at all.

Getting past that issue, and it may well be a non-issue, is the fact that apps like Fring and Skype often adjust their code to be compatible with specific hardware, rather than with generic codecs. This practice limits the hardware the apps can run on but guarantees full functionality on the devices in question. Since almost all phones these days have rear-facing cameras but many still don't come with front-facing cameras and Gingerbread is a phone-centric OS, the issue becomes a bit sticky in getting things to work.

The problem I have with buying a generic Chinese tablet is I have no idea of the warranty period, manufacturer support, build quality, and possible updates. Does this even come with the full Market? Do you plan on rooting it? What do you plan on doing with it, for the most part?

The price is pretty good, but I'd actively consider spending the extra bucks to get a name-brand tablet with a front-facing camera and a warranty I didn't have to worry about not being honored. Of course, since your IP says you're in Japan the warranty situation there may be totally different than it is here. If your budget is tight then consider looking at one of this generation's 7" tablets that come with the aforementioned camera. But I digress.

Take a look at any of the YouTube unboxing/testing videos of the tablet and see if any of them test the front-facing camera for video chat compatibility and see if someone can definitively say yes or no.

Makes sense

I hope to buy several of the tablets if the first one is reliable - a lot of the reviews are positive (if you get a non-fake machine), and it does have a front facing camera.

One is a gift for a girlfriend so she can chill out and browse the web, watch the occasional movie and maybe play angry birds.

One for a paralyzed relative so he can do similar things in bed, in the wheelchair or in the next room without having to get in the chair and go to the desktop pc in the next room etc.

One for a small school I run so students can use online videos and flash games and practice tests to study english. perhaps even use video camera to make simple movies. tablets' shape and size make it easy for students to share, easy for me to store, and cheaper than a netbook.

ability to use web chat is mostly a bonus for all of the people involved - including me. But I figured while I was shopping I might as well try to get a device that has the feature -- it seems like if you have it you'll use it. I noticed references by some people on other tablet sites (slatedroid for example) to getting the zt280 to do video chat, but I didnt read in detail how much work was involved or how success ful and so on. but there is a lot of conflicting info out there.

android 2.3 is meant for phones, but i was willing to make that compromise for sake of a much cheaper price and greater choice of machines.

you mentioned a 7" tablet with video chat ability -- right on the mark, there. a lot of the chinese manufacturers I dealt with referred me to similar models they offered (running android 2.3) with 7" screens that were video chat capable. a machine similar to the 10" i ordered but with the smaller screen can be had for about $140!

Twitter
    FurryVarmint
    Sounds like price is a major selling point -- and for educational use it becomes extra-important! My mother worked in education both as a teacher and as an administrator for over 28 years, so I'm familiar with how that goes!

Don't get me wrong on one point; my Nook Color is running CyanogenMod 7.1 from the SD card, so I'm familiar with how Gingerbread works on a tablet. Answer is surprisingly well, but with a couple of caveats.

Anyway, one option would be to contact the developers of whatever software you intend to use and ask specifically if model X is supported or if it's expected to be supported in the near future. Sometimes the answer will be "we don't know, but maybe". I find that's a respectable answer because a lot of times it does, but the manufacturer doesn't want to say it will because nobody's tested it yet.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links