"Memory Full"

This is a discussion on "Memory Full" within the Android Forum forums, part of the Android Discussions category; My wife and I have had our LG Ally's for close to a year now. Generally we've been pleased with the phones, given that we ...

Thread: "Memory Full"

Angry "Memory Full"

My wife and I have had our LG Ally's for close to a year now. Generally we've been pleased with the phones, given that we received them free and with free s&h through Verizon. However, we have been very annoyed with them at times. Especially in recent times. The main problem I am inquiring about here is the "Memory Full" notification. This happens ALL THE FREAKIN TIME. Every day, at LEAST once, if not 15 or so times during the day, our phones will tell us that the memory is full, for no obvious reason. You look at the storage option under Settings and it says there's 15MB or more FREE internal space. I've wiped out all data from the e-mail and social default apps (some of which I had the option to delete), except Facebook. Even with FB, I keep the cache cleared and Force Stop often. I've gotten in the habit of erasing browsing history every time the browser is used, using Advanced Task Killer after every interaction with my device, and I have wiped out pretty much every app that doesn't have the "move to SD" option, and obviously moved the others to the SD card. Previously this would only happen after I d/l'ed a new app or if my text messages racked up in the 100's, but now it will happen out of the blue, when my phone has been sitting idle for an hour or so, and my messages will be empty, all cache cleared, tons of "free internal storage" open, etc. etc. .... We will be so relieved when we are eligible for another upgrade in a few months and can get rid of these terrible annoyances. But in the meantime... Any input????

2. # ADS
    Ads
    Google Advertisement
    Android.net is the premier Android Forum on the internet.

Ok, my first suggestion is dump the task killer. Next, pull battery every other day at the very least leave it out for atleast 30 secs. Then I would suggest looking at what is running on your phone.

rcwtristan

I have an Ally too. Same problem, but only about once a month. Right around the point of 14 or 15 or 16 Mb remaining internal memory. One thing I found is that my Email program uses a lot of Mb even though I delete every email as soon as I read it. I discovered that it doesn,t really Delete them from the cellphone memory though. It just moves them to the program's Trash folder. There they sit, using internal memory , until I go through the Trash folder, click on the messages one at a time until maybe 15 or 20 are highlighted, then hit DELETE button. Takes maybe 30 -45 seconds. When the batch gets deleted, I highlite another batch (one at a time...) and delete it. Finally all is good for a few more weeks.

Have been to the Verizon store a couple times. No one can figure out a way to delete the whole Trash folder in one fell swoop. And I don't want to hit the "Clear Data" button because it looks like it would delete all my email program's settings at the same time.

You can use the Settings --- Apps --- Manage Apps to see how much Mb your email program is hogging, and to see the big change (at least on mine) when I delete a bunch of the old emails from Trash.

Ads