Newbie Needs Advice

This is a discussion on Newbie Needs Advice within the Android Forum forums, part of the Android Discussions category; Hello, I am a new member and I am looking for some answers as I am going to buy my first Android phone. I have ...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Newbie Needs Advice

Newbie Needs Advice

Hello,
    I am a new member and I am looking for some answers as I am going to buy my first Android phone. I have been looking at various forums and read people complaining about some problems they experience with their phones. But so far I haven't read an answer that explains whether these problems causes by the phone or its Android system.

So my question to you is, the problems that occur with phones, is it because Android system is causing them or is it because there are great differences between brands like Samsung, HTC, etc. One common problem with some Samsung models I read, is that people have difficulty sending SMS, or WiFi is not working.

I am more interested in Samsung because I believe it looks more nice, and also I have heard that the screen is more accurate, and so far my searches were based on this brand.

Thanks in advance
    Simon

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

My advice is select your very first android phone comparing following specifications,
    Atleast,
    1GHz processor,
    512MB Ram
    512MB phone internal memory,
    3.5Inc display,
    Check whether it can upgradable to later android ICS 4

You can compare phones specifications using "gsmarena.com"

thanks for the advice.
    But I am still searching to find out whether the Android system is a stable one or not, or whether the problems I mentioned is caused of the hardwares in the phones.

It depends on what are the problems. It's the brand's fault when the problems are coming from hardware or the brand's UI (e.g. Samsung's TouchWiz, HTC's Sense), if sodtware and the UI is "pure", then it's Android's fault. SMS and WiFi problems are usually from Android.

Anyway, these problems are rare. You should be careful reading the forums 'cause you might encounter some species called "fanboys". Many Apple fans say that Android is slow, laggy and buggy - this is not true. Ofcourse, there might be some cases, but again, they are rare.

Just choose a phone that suits you, if you are a "calm" user, choose a single-core CPU cloaked at about a GHz and about 512MB RAM. If you are hungry for power and launch lots of tens of apps at the same time and/or playing HD games (while the apps are running), then take a phone with dual-core CPU clocked at 1-1.5GHz and a GB of RAM.

I'd suggest Samsung Galaxy S II or Samsung (Google) Galaxy Nexus (just that these are my favorites, but other brands are good aswell).

But if you want your phone's battery to live long, no smartphone in the world will match Motorola RAZR MAXX.

About Motorola RAZR MAXX. Some people don't like it because of Motorola. They think it's weak. It's actually opposite - one of the stronger phones in the world (until MWC event, I suposse).

Here are it's specs:

CPU: 1.2 GHz (the details of the CPU and GPU doesn't matter for now as you are new)
    RAM: 1 GB
    Storage: 8 GB (with a MicroSD slot)
    Camera: 8 MP; video recording: 1080p (that's Full HD) at 30 fps.
    Screen: Super AMOLED Advanced (don't remember the resolution).
    Screen size: 4.3 inch (it has Corning Gorilla Glass which is really really strong and scratch resistant)
    OS: Android 2.3.x (I think it's 2.3.5 or 2.3.6) but can be upgraded to 4.0
    And it's best feature - Battery: Li-Ion 3300 mAh.

You can find full specifications of any phone you are curious about on GSMArena.com/.

thanks for the reply Skunk fox.
    I also read that not all the programs are possible to install them on a SD card, if its true, how much space do you think its needed to have sufficient space for the most popular programs/games? Samsung offers internal memory space from 150 mb upwards.

Well, 2GB for me is plenty. Actually, I haven't reached the limit even though I have downloaded 279 apps from Market and some from the Internet. As you can guess, that is way too many and I don't even use most of them. Also, I don't install them on SD. Most of the apps don't take much, usually less than 20 MB (that is about the max), most of them only take 2-6 MB.

As for the HD games, when you download them (Gameloft games, for example), it only takes about 5 MB on the phone storage and require further download on SD card (200MB - 1.8GB, depends on the game).

160MB is a bit too little, unless you only install apps that you need. I think you should have atleast 400MB, but it depends on what kind of user you are. 1 GB is fully enough for everything. Though my friend sees no trouble with 200MB.

More complex ones take 2-6MB. The simple ones take 200 kB - 2 MB.

I am considering buying Samsung galaxy Gio and it only has 150 Mb internal memory, but it seems little compare to programs I might install.
    Is it possible to extend the internal memory space?

No, it is not. Lots of apps are available to install on SD so you might survive. The thing I don't like about it is that it limits us and we have to choose what we can and can't afford to install. You have to moderate your downloads.

I personally, am a space-eater. But normal people should be okay with 150 MB.

If you'll have about 3 HD games, 5 normal games, and about 15 needed (or just useful) apps, there should still be some space left. (I suggest to use your stock browser, 'cause custom broswers like Opera and FireFox eat a lot of space).

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links