I Think I Want to Switch Phones...

This is a discussion on I Think I Want to Switch Phones... within the Android Forum forums, part of the Android Discussions category; Just how good is this phone? Right now I have an SGS4g, rooted, stock ROM. I can't seem to find exactly what you can delete ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By weezyrider

Thread: I Think I Want to Switch Phones...

I Think I Want to Switch Phones...

Just how good is this phone? Right now I have an SGS4g, rooted, stock ROM. I can't seem to find exactly what you can delete if rooted, and how the phone works with Ubuntu. I have a desktop with Natty Narwhal.
    On the SGS4G almost all TMO's stuff is gone, so is most social media, and maps. I simply don't use those apps. I need a phone that will cope with astronomy data bases and not shut down if one astronomy app doesn't close. I have a data plan, but prefer wifi. What is the VOIP on this like? I prefer the screen and processor for the astronomy apps, otherwise, its primary use is PDA. I don't sync mail or anything else. With an Ubuntu desktop, XP laptop, Android Acer Tablet, it gets too freaking confusing. So I don't sync.
    Thanks

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Super Moderator/RS furbearingmammal's Avatar
    Two hours north of Syracuse, NY. Yes, there IS civilization that far north.
    Twitter
    FurryVarmint
    Are you asking because you want to switch phones? Or are you asking about the phone you currently have? And could you straighten out what you're saying there because it's hard to decypher what you're saying from what you're asking to get the actual intent of your post.

Depending on your answer I'm going to have to move these posts, too, so please clear that up for me. Thanks!
    DO NOT WRITE IN THIS SPACE
    THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

I've seen that you can use Linux rather than ADB to do anything with the phone. I do use Linux, so I'm interested.

I see the Nexus doesn't come with as much junk as the SGS4g. I wanted to know how many of the Nexus apps you can get rid of.

I won't use Latitude and don't use maps. I also don't sync much due to major confusion with email on 3 different OS. I use Tbird on Windows and Ubuntu and doing a sync just makes a mess. Also have an Acer Tablet. So that's 3 OS'

I mostly use Astronomy apps. Problem is - they all have large databases and I don't want the phone crapping out if one does not close. The SGS4G has a task manager.

I have data, don't really use it much as I prefer my wifi. I would need to turn off all data in spots. I don't need the phone trying to connect where there is no signal. I'm with TMO and am roaming over much of Utah unless I use wifi. I also have nature guides to save carrying 4 or 5 books on a walk.

I mostly use the phone as a PDA and don't need to sync any of that info, either. I back up. The SGS4G is rooted and Titanium takes care of most of that.
    Otherwise, I download photos to computer.

I think I want to switch phones.
    furbearingmammal likes this.

Twitter
    FurryVarmint
    Thanks for clearing it up. I'm usually pretty good at figuring things out (I know a LOT of foreign doctors and have been friends with many of them so decyphering what what people say is something I got good at), but I was having a hard time with that jumble. Points for you!

If you root? All of the apps are removable, other than the core ones. As for Linux, just use the terminal like you would ADB. At least, that's been my impression. I haven't done as much with Linux as I'd like, to be honest. All Android phones have a built-in task manager. It's in Settings> Applications> Running Services.

Have you looked at the Galaxy Note? The problem I can see with your choice of the GNex is the lack of a MicroSD slot and if they all have such hefty DBs I can see you wanting to stick a 32GB SD card in ASAP. The Note is more of a PDA than most Android phones. Not that the GNex isn't awesome and all that. Also, the Note has that stylus and, as you can see here, one heck of an extended battery. [HLI-N7000XL] Buy Mugen Power 4500mAh Extended Battery for Samsung Galaxy Note with Battery Door It just isn't cheap.

Not that the Nex doesn't have a monster battery, of course. [HLI-i9250XL] Buy Mugen Power 4000mAh Extended Battery for Samsung Galaxy Nexus (GT-i9250) with Battery Door

The Note is also GSM and T-Mo is a GSM network (not that I needed to tell YOU that), so getting it on should be child's play, really. Turning mobile data on and off is as simple as Settings> Wireless & Networks> Mobile Networks> Data Enabled -- though I'm sure there's a widget in the Market that would do it for you if you really wanted to. I'm quite happy with my ROM letting me have a toggle in the pulldown bar.

Oh, you do know that there is no roaming in the continental US, right? As long as you're picking up a network (unless you're on the border), you shouldn't have to pay for roaming data. I'd hate to think Sprint, AT&T, and Verizon all offer no national roaming fees while T-Mo would still cripple their plans by charging people for going out of their network area.

TMO has just now limited roaming data. I mostly use wifi at motels if I need something. We like to go to Red Rock country in Utah. If you check coverage there isn't too much. I don't need the phone searching for wifi when using a telescope up in Arches NP. The astronomy apps themselves are usually self-contained. I just don't want attempts at updates when there are no connections - including phone.

Astronomy does have large DB, but the total footprint is small. I had a very popular program that did all the stuff the new ones do running on Palm. A lot of the stuff uses mathematical formulae. Graphics take up the most space. For instance - you can find out where the Great Red Spot is on Jupiter, visually. I have an app on the phone that shows sunspots in real time if you have a data connection.

It's just the fact that every program has these same DB, and if one program doesn't close on exit, I need to close it.
    I have this trouble with a few apps on the SGS4G. Chomp being one of them.

I've looked at the Note, it's too expensive since I buy outright. Right now it reminds me of an oversized Palm TX handset.

I've also seen Nuxus has a SIP client. I might need that and instructions on how to use it. The SGS4G being a TMO phone has wifi calling.

I'm not sure what this Nexus is - I've had international phones before and since I use wifi at home, no problem with being on Edge when not home. I have a data plan, but usually only use data to look up an item I've forgotten or weather when out. On wifi, anything goes.

I don't game, or do much social stuff. I do use Wordpress and Flickr for small blogging.

I understand the camera isn't that great, but the zoom on the SGS4g isn't too good if you get slightly shaky anyway. You zoom with your feet.
    The Acer tablet works the same way - no zoom, but flash.

I haven't filled up a 4G card yet on the phone. I do have some music, but I rip CDs from home and have MID ringtones. I have Nature Guides and want a few more of those. The 8G Acer uses the same programs and hasn't filled up half the storage yet. What took up a lot was putting a football game I recorded OTA on the card for the tablet. One game VOB format was almost 4G.

I've ordered the phone from Amazon, should get it next week. Then I can do a factory reset on the SGS4G and see if I can get market to download again. Then re-root the SGS4G.

I'll check on some of the Linux groups and see what they know about the Nexus S and Ubuntu.

Thanks

I get a little testy since I use the phone my way and the usual comment is, get a dumbphone if you don't want all the goodies. This is mostly from FB, game and streaming TV fans.
    What I do with the phone since I bought it outright is between me and the carrier.
    Last edited by weezyrider; 03-06-2012 at 09:39 AM.

Twitter
    FurryVarmint
    When you're out in the boonies try setting the phone to airplane mode, which kills all wireless connections and should be available from a long-press on the power button. And that REALLY sucks about T-Mo, but they ARE having problems. Sorry to hear.

Yeah, I see the problem. And I don't FaceSpace, MyBook, or whatever. You use it as a smartphone, you just do different things than people who LIVE on their phones like a crack addict. The Nexus you're looking at is either the European version
    or the Canadian version. Either way, it's an awesome phone. Google SIP, last I checked, was a pain in the butt to set up. Of course, that was over a year ago, and things have a way of changing when I don't watch them for months.

And yes, I would say $600 for a used, possibly-locked-into-AT&T Note is probably too much. Swappa (Android) Buy Samsung Galaxy Note (AT&T)

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links