File Formats of Android

This is a discussion on File Formats of Android within the Android Forum forums, part of the Android Discussions category; Hello All, I am trying to get deep knowledge about "Android",That is why i want know about file system of Android As windows have NTFS ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By tliebeck

Thread: File Formats of Android

Question File Formats of Android

Hello All,
    I am trying to get deep knowledge about "Android",That is why i want know about file system of Android As windows have NTFS & FAT.

Will Anybody tell me,what are the file system in android OS which is widely used as mobile OS.

Any suggestion will be appreciated.

Thanks And Regards:
    Varun Bansal

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Android based one Linux kernel. It has FAT file system. You can check it connecting your device into a computer and mount SD. Then go to its properties, in there you can see its file system.

Or download a file manager and access it on your phone.

Sent from my LGL55C using Android.net

As CoolDroid said Android is based on Linux and uses the same Linux commands. Valhalla made a good suggestion also. That will give you a more hands-on understanding of almost all the folders on your device. Of course your device must be rooted first. I suggest downloading a version of Linux maybe like Ubuntu and getting use to the file format of Linux as it relates to Android and also maybe going to the internet and reading about the Android Software Stack. This will give you an idea of how each component in Android relates to the other. Good luck my friend.

Android is based on Linux and thus uses Linux's filesystem architecture.

The main OS partitions (i.e., /system, /data, and /cache) of an Android device tend to use either ext3, ext4, or yaffs2:

YAFFS - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    ext3 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    ext4 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The user-writable area, i.e., an external SD card or internal flash storage tends to be formatted as FAT-based. From what I've seen this is for compatibility with mounting the device's storage directly as USB mass storage to a computer.

Newer phones (e.g., the Galaxy Nexus) use a FUSE filesystem (filesystem in user space) to enable the device to share memory between installed applications (stored in /data) and the user's files (stored in a FUSE filesystem inside /data). I believe this comes at the cost of being able to mount the flash storage as USB mass storage as was possible on older devices.

You can see what file systems are mounted by looking at the file /proc/mounts. See 3.2.22.*/proc/mounts for an explanation of its content.
    varun.285 likes this.

Android allows to store local data as files. Android also uses file based storage for handling application settings (Preferences) and instances of the SQLite database.
    Android has internal storage and external storage. External storage is not private and may not always be available.
    For each application the Android system creates a "data/data/package.of.the.application" directory.
    Files are saved in the "files" folder and application settings are saved as XML files in the "shared_prefs" folder.
    If your application creates an SQLite database this database is saved in the main application directory under the "databases" folder.
    Only the application can write into its application directory. It can create additional subdirectories in this application directory. For these subdirectories, the application can grant read or write permissions for other applications.

i want to know how got traffic share me your best ideas...

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links