RAM Management

This is a discussion on RAM Management within the Android Forum forums, part of the Android Discussions category; Hi, I was wondering about RAM usage. I am a bit short in RAM so I need to do something. I understand that all the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RAM Management

You know that little planet in Solar System? The one with lots of water in it? Yeah, that's the one!

RAM Management

Hi, I was wondering about RAM usage. I am a bit short in RAM so I need to do something. I understand that all the battery savers are not a wise choise, but what about RAM savers? How helpful are they? And I really don't care a bit how much battery it would consume, I just need more RAM. I rooted my phone for software, but I don't want to mess with hardware (like CPU overclocking, RAM) 'til I'll have stable knowledge about it. Any tips or ideas?

If anyone here is experienced enough with advanced handling of it, I'd like you to teach me the best way to clear or extend RAM from what the system took away. I've heard that when people root their phones, they have full access to their RAM. If it's not a good thing to do, I want to know why. And like overclocking a CPU, you must feel the line of it, I want to see where the line is when unlocking RAM to the end of safe usage and 'til the system starts to malfunction.

If you want to tell me I should concentrate on the CPU instead of RAM - no, I'm pretty sure I need RAM.

Thanks in advance.

Also, I'm not 100% sure if this thread is in it's place, sorry if I missed.

---
    When people run in circles,
    it's a very very mad world.
    Last edited by Tears_for_Fears; 04-13-2012 at 01:35 PM.
    Tears for Fears
    Warning! All outlaws will be shot! Survivors will be shot again!

~~~ Guidelines of Conduct ~~~
    The rest of you, have a nice day.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Before you do anything have a read at this....

http://www.android.net/forum/showthread.php?p=61376

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk 2

You know that little planet in Solar System? The one with lots of water in it? Yeah, that's the one!
    Thanks for the info, but it's not exactly what I was looking for. My request remains the same.

Also, about the link you gave me. It said that Android already handles my memory as best as it can, but from my experience with my phone - it does not. To clear the much needed memory, I have to do it manually. Automatically, it only manages a small part of it. Everything else, I have to do on my own. And when I clear the processes, it doesn't take an empty spot to manage the "nothing." It just remains idle, saving both RAM and the battery.

(Sorry, I might misunderstand the thread, I read it fast without concentrating much)

Anyway, I still ask for the same.

---
    Tears for Fears

That's fine you can listen or do your own thing, but the mistake a lot of people make it to think of Android like it is a PC it terms of RAM cause is not. I would challenge you to leave it as is and run it without killing anything for a few days and see how much difference it makes.

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk 2

I already tried it, the difference is huge. As I said, the OS only manages a small part of my memory, everything else is up to me. The only thing that helps me saving RAM is clearing it manually, without any killers or task managers. And the difference is huge.

Anyway, I was not talking about killing apps, you misunderstood my request and questions.

---
    Last edited by Tears_for_Fears; 04-13-2012 at 02:25 PM.
    Tears for Fears

Only one question was about the task managers, you've answered it, thank you. Now I wait my main request and other questions to be answered.

---
    Tears for Fears

So after reading some articles, I found out that Android only starts to manage apps when it reaches a certain point in RAM. However, the point is too low - it starts to lagg. Some people suggests to use one application (forgot its name) that can make the limit higher. Others say it's a bad idea. Any ideas from you guys?

Also, the phone was supposed to have 512 MB RAM, it only gives me a bit over 300 MB, the system uses over a 100 MB and I've only got about 180 MB. Lots of it is used by my third-party apps. How do I unlock all 512MB?

And please don't tell me ANYTHING about "stop using task killers" because I DON'T. My SGS isn't my main phone, I have quite a lot of apps but I do NOT kill ANY apps AT ALL. I just let it be as it is. And it is so for over half a year and it has become the MOST laggy phone I have EVER seen. Before I let it be, I managed all the apps on my own manually (without any killer apps). It was pretty much the same as it is now on my SGS+ - smooth enough, but very limited. [EDIT: I believe you guys won't read it carefully enough. I mean not that it's good to kill apps, I mean that I don't do that and it is not the case]

So in short, I have two questions: 1. How do I unlock the taken RAM and if it's worth it? 2. Are those apps that can raise the point where Android starts to kill unused apps by itself useful and a good thing to do or not?

---
    Last edited by Tears_for_Fears; 04-27-2012 at 05:33 AM.
    Tears for Fears

How do you expect the thing to run if you want the whole 512mb for yourself?
    I have a gig of RAM, but only 784mb at my disposal. You just can't have all of it. That's all.

Sent from my Samsung Hercules
    Last edited by titanoman; 04-26-2012 at 09:06 PM.

I do not ask for all of the RAM to myself... Sheesh... Why don't people ever read carefully before they post?

---
    Tears for Fears

Twitter
    _B0BB0_
    Since you're rooted, you can use an app like Titanium Backup to freeze unused system apps which hog a lot of resources. Also try using a replacement launcher like ADW or GO Launcher since touchwiz can also hog up ram.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links