If You Are Rooted, What is Your Favorite Rom?

This is a discussion on If You Are Rooted, What is Your Favorite Rom? within the Android Forum forums, part of the Android Discussions category; What is your favorite rom for your current android phone?...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By smalltowngirl13

Thread: If You Are Rooted, What is Your Favorite Rom?

Twitter
    @milkmac9

If You Are Rooted, What is Your Favorite Rom?

What is your favorite rom for your current android phone?
    Motorola Droid RAZR MAXX - Droid X2

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Super Moderator/RS furbearingmammal's Avatar
    Two hours north of Syracuse, NY. Yes, there IS civilization that far north.
    Twitter
    FurryVarmint
    CyanogenMod. Currently 7.2 release, but about to update to the latest nightly in the hopes it fixes some bugs I've been having.

Droid 2, BTW.
    DO NOT WRITE IN THIS SPACE
    THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Twitter
    smalltownlife13
    Deodex'd version of .211 ICS on my Maxx by R3Ds, BlackIce on my gNex and stock rooted on my Note...
    The beatings will continue until moral improves...my new motto for work!
    Droid X Specific Site: www.droidxforums.com

Can u tell me what rooted means??

Sent from my GT-S5360 using Android.net

Twitter
    smalltownlife13
    Quote Originally Posted by tanmoy View Post
    Can u tell me what rooted means??

Sent from my GT-S5360 using Android.net
    "Rooted" is where you gain access to the system files - I like to compare it to the analogy of a windows PC user who has the ability to be the admin (control the computer) or setup "guest" accounts and restrict access to certain files or parts of the computer to users. A non-rooted phone, you cannot add, edit, modify system files whereas with a "rooted" device, you can. This allows you to flash a custom ROM (these generally offer certain tweaks or changes not available in the stock ROM) or make other modifications to the device such as font style (where not native to the UI - i.e. Moto devices).

Rooting your device will most likely void your warranty as many cell phone providers and manufacturers to not approve of the end user modifying the system hardware and if you are not comfortable in making changes to the system files, you could render your device unusable (commonly referred to as "bricking")...
    UltraDroid likes this.
    The beatings will continue until moral improves...my new motto for work!
    Droid X Specific Site: www.droidxforums.com

CyanogenMod does it for me too. Good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by smalltowngirl13 View Post
    "Rooted" is where you gain access to the system files - I like to compare it to the analogy of a windows PC user who has the ability to be the admin (control the computer) or setup "guest" accounts and restrict access to certain files or parts of the computer to users. A non-rooted phone, you cannot add, edit, modify system files whereas with a "rooted" device, you can. This allows you to flash a custom ROM (these generally offer certain tweaks or changes not available in the stock ROM) or make other modifications to the device such as font style (where not native to the UI - i.e. Moto devices).

Rooting your device will most likely void your warranty as many cell phone providers and manufacturers to not approve of the end user modifying the system hardware and if you are not comfortable in making changes to the system files, you could render your device unusable (commonly referred to as "bricking")...

Nice nick little town girl 13 :-)
    Not sure why the option of rooting is not provided by manufacturers in the first place... Imagine windows without control and they would go bankrupt very soon. I think it is very short-sighted not to have rooting available. Phones, computers or any other machines will never have control over people as usually it's the other way around unless you are in some movies like the "Terminator" ;-) Plus making control unavailable shows that the manufacturers do not trust the buyers which in turn shows total disresrespect to its end-users (us) by simply considering us stupid... let alone our rights etc... This is at least how I feel.. as if I bought the TV without any turn on / turn off switches because the company that sold the TV thought the users were too dumb to be allowed to use on/off buttons on their products... I think some smart guy may sue for that one day and I'm 99% sure he/she would win... just wanted to share, nothing else ;-) Am I not right? :-)

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Android.net

Twitter
    FurryVarmint
    Quote Originally Posted by Klaipedaville View Post
    Nice nick little town girl 13 :-)
    Not sure why the option of rooting is not provided by manufacturers in the first place... Imagine windows without control and they would go bankrupt very soon. I think it is very short-sighted not to have rooting available. Phones, computers or any other machines will never have control over people as usually it's the other way around unless you are in some movies like the "Terminator" ;-) Plus making control unavailable shows that the manufacturers do not trust the buyers which in turn shows total disresrespect to its end-users (us) by simply considering us stupid... let alone our rights etc... This is at least how I feel.. as if I bought the TV without any turn on / turn off switches because the company that sold the TV thought the users were too dumb to be allowed to use on/off buttons on their products... I think some smart guy may sue for that one day and I'm 99% sure he/she would win... just wanted to share, nothing else ;-) Am I not right? :-)

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Android.net
    Rooting allows various settings to be changed like the CPU frequency (which could cook the phone), access to tethering (which is considered stealing by the carriers), and files to be deleted at the system level which might render the phone non-operational (which has happened more than I care to think about), all of which result in a high return rate to the carriers and OEMs -- meaning a loss in profits, which is unacceptable at the corporate level for good reasons -- for things that aren't their fault.

Quote Originally Posted by furbearingmammal View Post
    Rooting allows various settings to be changed like the CPU frequency (which could cook the phone), access to tethering (which is considered stealing by the carriers), and files to be deleted at the system level which might render the phone non-operational (which has happened more than I care to think about), all of which result in a high return rate to the carriers and OEMs -- meaning a loss in profits, which is unacceptable at the corporate level for good reasons -- for things that aren't their fault.
    Why do not Windows do the same then? Why didn't Bill Gates stuff his Windows 7 for example with all sorts of crap applications and lock this bloatware for good dooming his end-users for trouble of removing all the **it? Nonetheless, providing full control they did not run out of business because of that and it's even on the contrary I would say...

But... If what you are saying is really the case then it's not really smart.. Usually warranty is void when you return any rooted phones to carriers / manufacturers and there is no refund to rooted phones either so my guess is that profitability might only increase instead... unless it is totally impossible to determine if the phone was rooted or not..

Anyway, thanks for sharing, it's been interesting to read on policies they have. ;-)

Twitter
    FurryVarmint
    Actually, they do -- they just allow you to uninstall it, usually. I give you the Office previews and all the other crap companies like Dell put and HP and eMachines put on their computers when they sell them. Do you think they're PAYING Macafee to put a limited-subscription antivirus program on a computer when everyone knows you can download free ones from the web? Now we look at Verizon and AT&T putting, say, Amazon's Kindle app on the phone so that you already have it if you want to download a book. Or CityID.

But you're right. People DO get billed for returning SOME of the phones they've rooted and wrecked by being incautious and/or uninformed/lazy/whatever. Not all, however, and every phone that gets through costs them money. Personally I like the idea of having an easy root/unlock that voids the warranty and makes sure people know that it does when they do it. That's when insurance comes into play.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links