Change Keyboard Layout to QWERTY

This is a discussion on Change Keyboard Layout to QWERTY within the Android Forum forums, part of the Android Discussions category; Hi all, Is it possible to change the keyboard layout on Android to QWERTY? Using HTC One X and the AZERTY layout is bugging me. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Change Keyboard Layout to QWERTY

Change Keyboard Layout to QWERTY

Hi all,

Is it possible to change the keyboard layout on Android to QWERTY? Using HTC One X and the AZERTY layout is bugging me. I can't find any options for changing the layout of the keyboard in the "Language & Keyboard" options, just language changes and changing the "standard" keyboard to a "phone" keyboard, etc.

All I keep getting on Google search results is "Change QWERTY to AZERTY" results, but with no answers anywhere.

Cheers.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Go to the Play Store and download a keyboard application that has the option. Touchpal and Go Keyboard I believe has it.

-end of line-

Thanks for the reply RobKort.

So, umm... weirdest thing has happened. Just 5 minutes after posting this message my keyboard has suddenly changed to QWERTY. Don't know what the hell I've done, but I put my phone down the post this message, then just picked it back up to mess around with it and noticed the keyboard was in QWERTY layout.

In all honesty I haven't used the phone a whole lot yet, but I believe the keyboard always was QWERTY. I only realised today that the layout was AZERTY, so I guess it somehow got changed.

Anyway, another question from me. The phone must have default settings for changing between layouts because it has just decided to switch between them of its own accord. I suppose it's not too important to figure out why, but is this some kind of bug? I didn't touch any options or anything.

Cheers.

Check on settings/language & input, it should be there.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Try holding down the text box and clicking input methods I think that'll do it it does it into phone

Thanks for replying.

RobKort, In my phone there are no "Language & input" settings, only "Language & keyboard". I've searched through every option inside it and there's nothing to change the keyboard layout and no mention of AZERTY or QWERTY is made anywhere.

sara_cheer_25, I did what you said and held down my finger on a textbox but no options came up or any "input methods", and I'm not sure what I did, but now my keyboard is back in AZERTY mode and I'm getting frustrated with this lack of optionality and ease-of-use concerned with such a minor thing!

Surely it must be simpler than this? I'll download an app to change it if I have to, but now I want to get to the bottom of this silly problem. There's got to be a way of changing this without needing external apps? I mean, there clearly is because I've done it twice today and not realised what I'd done until it was too late.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by George88 View Post

So, umm... weirdest thing has happened. Just 5 minutes after posting this message my keyboard has suddenly changed to QWERTY. Don't know what the hell I've done, but I put my phone down the post this message, then just picked it back up to mess around with it and noticed the keyboard was in QWERTY layout.

In all honesty I haven't used the phone a whole lot yet, but I believe the keyboard always was QWERTY. I only realised today that the layout was AZERTY, so I guess it somehow got changed.

Anyway, another question from me. The phone must have default settings for changing between layouts because it has just decided to switch between them of its own accord. I suppose it's not too important to figure out why, but is this some kind of bug? I didn't touch any options or anything.

Cheers.
    SETTINGS > PERSONAL > INPUT > Input Method (Touch Input) > OPTIONS... If it is French, change it to English.

Technically, it should work.
    furbearingmammal likes this.

royfernandez,

You solved it!

Settings -> phone -> language & keyboard -> HTC sense input -> international keyboard

I unchecked all languages but English (there were about 5 checked), now keyboard layout is in qwerty mode again.

Thanks again!

There is a button on the lower left of the keyboard that changes the keyboard setting. EN is the.qwerty keyboard. No app.download.is.necessary.

I do believe I found the reason why your keyboard was showing AZERTY instead of QWERTY and possibly why it changed back without you knowing it.

There is a small button to the left of the spacebar, some two keys over. It's the key that has the microphone option on it for voice to text. If you'll notice, there's a language option underneath the microphone symbol, which allows you to change the language for your keyboard, i.e. English, Spanish, French, etc. Well, when you change the keyboard language, it changes the layout of the keyboard keys. This is most likely what you did accidentally, and also most likely what happened when it changed back to QWERTY.

You can disable the language change ability in your HTC settings menu.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Please pardon the redundant explanation below; I am not sure of your technical expertise, so I will explain step-by-step. Again, my apologies; no offense intended.

Drag the notification bar down, then select Settings in the upper left hand corner (the gear symbol).

Language & keyboard > HTC Sense Input > Toggle keyboards (Use language key to toggle between keyboards) - set to Off.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

The only drawback I've found with disabling that feature is the annoying pop up menu that occurs when you press that microphone button; the language select menu pops up and occupies roughly the whole center of the screen. Can be VERY annoying when you're driving and trying to voice-to-text chat.

UPDATE: I searched thru the Settings options and found that I can disable all of the keyboard languages but English, which eliminates the above annoying pop up menu. It's great learning something new everyday.

P.S. This is my first Android phone, having been an iPhone user for 3 yrs. Gotta say, my first foray into the Android arena has been a rather pleasant one.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by George88 View Post

Cheers.
    Last edited by Templhaven; 10-02-2012 at 09:47 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links