Need CDMA Phone, Which is Best???

This is a discussion on Need CDMA Phone, Which is Best??? within the Android Hardware Wanted forums, part of the Android Classifieds category; Current Phone: Droid X System Version: 4.5.621.MB810.Verizon.en.US Android Version: 2.3.4 Baseband Version: BP_C_01.09.15P Kernel Version: 2.6.32.9-g1282440 mcbk83@il93lnxdroid08 #1 Build Number: 4.5.1_57_DX8-51 I am switching from ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By CR6
  • 1 Post By grenefroggie

Thread: Need CDMA Phone, Which is Best???

Need CDMA Phone, Which is Best???

Current Phone: Droid X
    System Version: 4.5.621.MB810.Verizon.en.US
    Android Version: 2.3.4
    Baseband Version: BP_C_01.09.15P
    Kernel Version: 2.6.32.9-g1282440 mcbk83@il93lnxdroid08 #1
    Build Number: 4.5.1_57_DX8-51

I am switching from Verizon to Page Plus Cellular (Verizon cdma service, 3G only). I would like to purchase another phone to be my primary phone and have the Droid X as a backup. I stream music, use text for work, and do some browsing. I do not watch videos, play games, etc. My criteria are:
    1. Used phone (either for sale as 'new' on ebay or used in very good condition) that is cdma as Verizon has best coverage where I live.
    2. Easy to modify (root, then customize) and with decent options for modification.
    3. Under $150.

I was thinking of a Droid X2 (around $75 used or $125 for "new/overstocked/demo" on ebay), but found some used Droid razr's in good condition that are around $125. The advantage to the razr is that it is 4G, thus if Page Plus goes 4G, I won't have to upgrade my phone. However, PP will probably not upgrade to 4G anytime soon, so I could save some money by getting a Droid X2. Besides the 4G, razr has better screen and 16GB internal memory. Processors appear to be a wash as X2 has tegra2 vs TI in razr. I am unfamiliar with other non-motorola android options. Is there anything that would be as good as the Droid X2 or Razr for around $75 - $125? If not, what makes more sense, X2 or Razr?

TIA!

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

re: Need CDMA Phone, Which is Best???

Welcome to the forum! Why not go with new Galaxy S3? You can find them on sale everywhere this time of year and its a great phone!
    Good luck!

tap'n

Welcome to the site. I would also recommend going straight to the S3.

Buying an S3 and using it on a CDMA MVNO could be costly. Because a contract with VZW isn't being signed and the service used on their primary network the phone is going to have to be paid in full at retail price. Even a used one is going to cost upward of $400 or more.

Then the phone has to be carrier unlocked to work with PP. I am pretty sure the only way you can do that is pay for it. VZW might do it for free if you buy one direct from them at retail price. You might be able to find a service to do it for you at an added cost.
    UltraDroid likes this.

Good point about the CDMA needing to fit into the network. One of the drawbacks of CDMA vs GSM I guess. Thanks Froggie!
    GSM Galaxy Note 3 (Black) - Straight Stock
    GSM Galaxy Note 2 (Titanium) - Rooted running Jedi X20 Rom
    GSM Galaxy Nexus (Black) - Straight Stock

GSM Samsung Galaxy S3 (Red) - Rooted running Deadly Venom v8.0.1 Rom

Well it works the same with GSM. You can get unlocked CDMA and GSM phones. However with a GSM network, you can buy the international version of say the GSII or GSIII and know it will work in the US on AT&T or T-Mobile (the international versions of phones are typically penta-band phones, meaning they support up to 5 operating frequencies, likes the ones T-Mobile and AT&T use in the US). Buying a CDMA phone that is unlocked operates in the same fashion, but it not usable over most of the known world (CDMA holds less than 20% worldwide market share of cellular networks).

For Page Plus, it has to be a carrier unlocked phone from Verizon, or something you can find on the internet. It should not matter if it is an old VZW phone, or a phone that comes unlocked from the manufacturer. The cheapest way to do it would be to buy a used Verizon phone, and see if Verizon will unlock it. Otherwise, you will have to pay for a service to unlock the phone, and that could add up to $45 to the cost of your phone.

verizon is best

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links