Motorola is Looking It's Gift Horse in the Mouth?

This is a discussion on Motorola is Looking It's Gift Horse in the Mouth? within the Android News from the Members forums, part of the Android News category; Looks like Motorola is switching strategies, and now wants to 'differentiate' its products, by continuing to tweak it's users 'exerience' with their own 'web OS'. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Motorola is Looking It's Gift Horse in the Mouth?

Motorola is Looking It's Gift Horse in the Mouth?

Looks like Motorola is switching strategies, and now wants to 'differentiate' its products, by continuing to tweak it's users 'exerience' with their own 'web OS'. Considering most Android fanatics I know want a 'stripped', lean and mean 'Google Experience' (ala Nexus, NS, G1 and G2), phone but from other manufacturers than HTC/Samsung, it seems their path isn't intersecting with what consumers want. What do you think?

'Motorola Apparently Not Satisfied With Android'
    "Apparently, Android might not be good enough for Motorola Mobility. At least not as it comes in its plain vanilla form.
    Based on my colleague Tom Claburn's report in InformationWeek speculating that Motorola Mobility is developing its own mobile Web operating system, Motorola is sending a pretty clear signal to Google and the market that it will need its own secret sauce if it's going to successfully compete against the likes of Samsung, Acer, HTC, and a slew of other hardware manufacturers who together are essentially commoditizing Android. As more manufacturers come to market with Android devices with the same basic chipsets, multi-touch displays, camera, and audio configurations, the opportunities for hardware differentiation are rapidly dwindling. So, where else is there to turn but the software?.....

...If Motorola were to develop its own operating system, it wouldn't be alone in playing both sides of the fence, either. Samsung, for example, has abandoned Windows Mobile in favor of Android. It also has the open source-based Bada operating system in its stable. Bada is used internationally, but hasn't surfaced in a domestic U.S. device yet. Additionally, HP is in the market with its own WebOS (which came with the Palm acquisition) and, at the same time, HP CEO Leo Apotheker said he remains committed to launching mobile devices based on an ARM-compliant version of Microsoft's Windows."

From Information Week: HERE
    Last edited by alphawave7; 03-23-2011 at 02:54 PM.
    Beauty is in the eyes of the beerholder

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Super Moderator/RS furbearingmammal's Avatar
    Two hours north of Syracuse, NY. Yes, there IS civilization that far north.
    Twitter
    FurryVarmint
    Samsung is so far up Microsoft's behind it's eating the same breakfast. Samsung has, in no way, abandoned Windows Mobile -- in fact, they're the only ones I see advertised on TV as making Windows Mobile phones.

Anyway, Motorola is going to do what they see as the smart move. After all, the company that made the most popular phone in the world/USA/whatever (RAZR) and STILL managed to find itself in financial troubles can't possibly make a mistake when it comes to design and manufacturing, right?
    DO NOT WRITE IN THIS SPACE
    THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

@FBM
    LOL! Of course not...everyone was sooo taken by Blur...I mean, it SOLD the phones, right?

Twitter
    FurryVarmint
    That's what I keep hearing. "More Blur! More Bloat! Bog my phone down more, Moto! And lock it tighter!" I must see sixteen salivating fanbois a day posting their undying allegiance to Motorola and MotoBlur every day. And I can't count the number of times I heard someone say they were taking their Thunderbolt back and flipping their X back on -- and how sorry they were they made the switch.

That would be sarcasm, right FBM? I wasn't sure so I wanted to clarify.

Twitter
    FurryVarmint
    Me sarcastic? Nooooo....

It's like you never saw The Fuzzy Treatment posts...

I know I'm eagerly awaiting the latest Moto-Blur update! ( btw, has anyone found an exit door from this asylum, that doesn't set off that furious ringtone than no one answers?)

Twitter
    FurryVarmint
    It's over there, somewhere, behind the llama pen. I haven't headed over that way for a while. I seem to be stuck to the floor in some spilled, um, nastiness. Kinda looks like Motorola's business sense. I know it smells like failure.

They seem to be following hardware-wise, rather than leading. I guess it's easier to dig your grave tweaking the user-experience to mush. There was a time when Android 'GUI' needed a bit of 'help', but those days are long gone...newsflash to Moto, please.

Twitter
    FurryVarmint
    Make the phone; make it rugged, attractive, and have good battery life. Now make the screen as big as you can, leave the software the ^Y#$ alone, and let us customize it with the launcher of our choice -- now unlock it so we can install a ROM if we choose. Wow, look at the sales figures double!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links