Editorial: Could Google be Planning to Drop the Nexus Line of Smartphones?

This is a discussion on Editorial: Could Google be Planning to Drop the Nexus Line of Smartphones? within the Android News forums, part of the Android.net category; Signs within the mobile industry seem to be pointing toward the distinct possibility that Google may abandon their Nexus lineup of smartphones. Here's a quick ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By grenefroggie

Thread: Editorial: Could Google be Planning to Drop the Nexus Line of Smartphones?

Editorial: Could Google be Planning to Drop the Nexus Line of Smartphones?

Signs within the mobile industry seem to be pointing toward the distinct possibility that Google may abandon their Nexus lineup of smartphones. Here's a quick breakdown of these signs so we can analyze them:
    1. Last year we heard repeated rumors that Google was trying to encourage the various OEMs to all offer Nexus devices.
    2. Google and Samsung announced a new Google Edition pure Android Samsung Galaxy S4 flagship device at Google I/O 2013.
    3. Google did NOT announce a new Nexus phone at Google I/O this 2013.
    4. There have been repeated rumors of a Google Edition pure Android HTC One coming to market very soon.
    5. LG indicated they will not be building a Nexus 5 device, and there has been no indication that anyone else is either.

Obviously, we can't immediately jump to the conclusion that this means Google will drop the Nexus line. This could mean several things. Perhaps they simply haven't yet decided which OEM to go with for the next Nexus phone. Or, maybe they plan on bringing out a Motorola Nexus device.

Still, deductive reasoning suggests the possibility is there for Google to begin phasing out the Nexus smartphone. If they can convince the OEMs to produce their own Nexus-style phones, then why would Google even need the Nexus lineup at all? Android has already been jump-started to such a massive degree that it now has 75% of the world mobile market. Perhaps this was Google's plan from the beginning, and they are simply nearing the point in which they phase out the Nexus example. What do you guys think? If true, is this a good thing or a disappointing thing?

In case you were wondering why I included this editorial on a tablet focused site... it's because if Google plans to phase out Nexus phones, they will probably eventually phase out Nexus tablets as well...

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Not good - the Nexus name is something special to a lot of people. Direct updates to the latest software on a priority basis, Guaranteed unlocked/unlockable bootloaders, no bloatware. Those things mean something to a lot of us, and I certainly hope that Google shares those sentiments and keeps the Nexus line alive.
    GSM Galaxy Note 3 (Black) - Straight Stock
    GSM Galaxy Note 2 (Titanium) - Rooted running Jedi X20 Rom
    GSM Galaxy Nexus (Black) - Straight Stock

GSM Samsung Galaxy S3 (Red) - Rooted running Deadly Venom v8.0.1 Rom

My one complaint about the Nexus line, that is not entirely Google's fault, is the lack of a cross carrier LTE chip. I would love to buy a Nexus device that supports LTE on any carrier of my choosing. As LTE progresses, CDMA networks will phase out. The chances that we will see a phone that supports all carriers any time in the near future is a lot closer to none than it is slim. The Verizon and Sprint offerings were a joke.

Ultra also has a few good points. The interfaces that OEMs put on their phones can be cumbersome. There are many features and it can be a fun and enjoyable experience, but the updating process through the OEMs and the carriers is rather ridiculous.

However, if OEMs put out Google Edition devices and sell them unsubsidized; if they follow stringent update schedules, and make it live up to the current Nexus line standards in terms of development capability and software updates, I think it would be okay. Not everyone wants a feature phone.
    Last edited by grenefroggie; 05-30-2013 at 07:12 PM. Reason: I am my own grammar police!
    UltraDroid likes this.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links