Verizon Likely Following T-Mobile's Uncarrier Plans Too

This is a discussion on Verizon Likely Following T-Mobile's Uncarrier Plans Too within the Android News forums, part of the Android.net category; It's ironic when the industry leader plays follow the leader with their competitors. That's apparently a new trend we are seeing. Just moments ago we ...

Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By dgstorm
  • 3 Post By cali
  • 2 Post By dgstorm
  • 1 Post By CR6
  • 2 Post By cali

Thread: Verizon Likely Following T-Mobile's Uncarrier Plans Too

Verizon Likely Following T-Mobile's Uncarrier Plans Too

It's ironic when the industry leader plays follow the leader with their competitors. That's apparently a new trend we are seeing. Just moments ago we shared a story about AT&T following in T-Mobile's footsteps with their Next plan designed to compete with T-Mobile's Uncarrier and JUMP program. Late last night some intel hit the web that Verizon will be jumping in the conga line as well. According to the leaked information, Verizon will be offering its own program called "VZ Edge" and will likely be launched on August 25th. Here's a quote with the details,

Verizon is preparing to announce a new program that would allow subscribers to upgrade their smartphones more often to “stay on the leading edge of technology.” The program, reportedly known as VZ Edge, would allow customers to “pay a monthly fee instead of purchasing a device upfront,” and “upgrade anytime once 50% of the device is paid off.” Verizon notes that customers will benefit by “receiving the latest devices on the best network,” have lower upfront costs, avoid upgrade fees and won’t be required to sign a contract.
    The leak didn't share all the details of VZW's new concept so it's possible they are still fine-tuning the details, but something is definitely in the works.

When T-Mo first announced their new desire to shake things up in the mobile industry, we speculated that it wouldn't be too long before the other carriers offered something similar. That prognostication was right on the money. It may not be surprising, but it is certainly welcome.

Source: BGR
    Tears_for_Fears likes this.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Eventually, they all follow the same path.

I tend to agree with Cali on this point - just not sure long term if that's a good thing or not.
    GSM Galaxy Note 3 (Black) - Straight Stock
    GSM Galaxy Note 2 (Titanium) - Rooted running Jedi X20 Rom
    GSM Galaxy Nexus (Black) - Straight Stock

GSM Samsung Galaxy S3 (Red) - Rooted running Deadly Venom v8.0.1 Rom

What's interesting about this is that if you do the math on AT&T and Verizon's plans, they are not as good as T-Mobile at all. In fact, these "new plans" on Verizon and AT&T are basically a big rip-off because you end up having to pay twice for the same device. Neither AT&T nor Verizon reduce the subsidy price of the phone, so you basically pay more for the device than you would if you just bought it outright, and you don't even get to own it in the long run!

What good does it do you to "own" a CDMA phone? Assuming you're in the US, where are you going to go with the thing - Sprint? GSM phones appear to have a lot more portability, besides the obvious T-Mobile/AT&T thing because most of the world is GSM.
    GSM Galaxy Note 3 (Black) - Straight Stock
    GSM Galaxy Note 2 (Titanium) - Rooted running Jedi X20 Rom
    GSM Galaxy Nexus (Black) - Straight Stock

GSM Samsung Galaxy S3 (Red) - Rooted running Deadly Venom v8.0.1 Rom

I don't think it has anything to do with CDMA or GSM, but the actual plan itself.
    The way I see it is, what's the point in upgrading your phone after 6-12 months when more often than not, the phones offered within this time frame are only slightly improved over the device you currently have. (Of course, this is assuming you already have the latest & greatest.) At least this is how phones have been released the past couple years, and why I haven't minded waiting 18-24 months for my next device.

tap'n

For quite some time, I have felt as if all of the carriers, and now that also includes the prepaids, only see me as a source of neverending revenue. For the life of me, I don't know where they think this money is supposed to come from. And my employers (when I have one), seem to think that a cell phone means I have to be available and reachable 24/7. I want to go back to a single house phone (wired) with no answering machine and the minimum life line account in case I need to call 911. But of course, I don't qualify for a life line account, I am sure.
    CR6 and Tears_for_Fears like this.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links