[RUMOR] Google Glass Rumored to Cost Just $300 at Final Launch; Plus Unboxing Video

This is a discussion on [RUMOR] Google Glass Rumored to Cost Just $300 at Final Launch; Plus Unboxing Video within the Android News forums, part of the Android.net category; Please place heavy emphasis in your mind on the fact that this story is a rumor. Supposedly, Google Glass could be launched at a ridiculously ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By CR6

Thread: [RUMOR] Google Glass Rumored to Cost Just $300 at Final Launch; Plus Unboxing Video

[RUMOR] Google Glass Rumored to Cost Just $300 at Final Launch; Plus Unboxing Video

Please place heavy emphasis in your mind on the fact that this story is a rumor. Supposedly, Google Glass could be launched at a ridiculously cheap price-point of just $300 USD. This comes from Topology Research analyst Jason Tsai. Here's a quote with some of the details,

The Google Glass is expected to carry an initial price tag to consumers of US$299, Topology researcher Jason Tsai told reporters on the sidelines of a local seminar on wearable devices.

The device's display component, which will probably be supplied by Taiwan-based Himax Display Inc., will cost between US$30 and US$35 and will account for the biggest share of the total cost in the near term, he said.

Google announced July 22 that it had agreed to buy a 6.3-percent stake in Himax Display, which produces liquid crystal on silicon (LCOS) chips and modules used in devices such as the Google Glass, head-up displays and handheld projectors.

“We believe wearable devices will face the first wave of growth in the coming one to three years due to their innovative features, and will then experience a rapid growth in the next phase when the market becomes more mature,” Tsai said.

According to Topology's projections, the global output value of wearable devices will grow from US$1.2 billion in 2011 to US$18.3 billion in 2018.
    Here at HQ we think this "rumint" is entirely possible; however, we also think it is entirely improbable. This seems like the same kind of wishful thinking that was labeled on the Moto X which turned out to be completely wrong. More than likely, the Google Glass device will come out at a price-point similar to a mid-range to high-end smartphone... perhaps around $500-600 USD. Of course, we are hoping Google Glass will come out at just $300 bucks like a Nexus 4. It would be very alluring at that price.

What do you think? If Google introduced Google Glass at only $300 bucks would you be more apt to consider buying it?

In the mean-time, check out the fairly entertaining Google Glass unboxing video above to whet your appetite.

Source: ChinaPost

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

The original $1500 dollar price point really turned me off. (It's simply not worth that much) But if this rumor of $300 is true, I'll take two!

tap'n

You know that little planet in Solar System? The one with lots of water in it? Yeah, that's the one!
    I hate to be that grumpy guy, but honestly, I find no attraction to Google Glass even if it would cost $150. Just not my kind of a device. And I'd kind of be annoyed seeing it massively used by people everywhere I'd go and be filmed by at least hundreds of random people I go by. Plus, even people talk to Siri annoys me, so hearing "Google Glass do this, Google Glass do that" all the time (which is the primary control method of this device) would really get on my nerve. Sure, it's fine if only *some* people use it but I kind of wish it wouldn't spread out too massively. So I kind of hope it would cost $600 rather than $300. (Sorry CR6, you'll be good with just one.)

But that's just me.
    Tears for Fears
    Warning! All outlaws will be shot! Survivors will be shot again!

~~~ Guidelines of Conduct ~~~
    The rest of you, have a nice day.

To each their own I say, it's certainly not for everyone. Personally I like the advancement of all things technology related. That being said, I feel that far too many companies hold off on releasing their high tech innovations in favor of profits (case in point, the automotive world) and that's ashame. We should be much more advanced as a civilization, but I feel we are severely dumbed down by big business. At the same time I feel far too many people are afraid of change and get too comfortable with the current status que. But such is life.

tap'n

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links