Google Faked Us Out; Android 4.4 Will Not Be Key Lime Pie but 'KitKat' Instead

This is a discussion on Google Faked Us Out; Android 4.4 Will Not Be Key Lime Pie but 'KitKat' Instead within the Android News forums, part of the Android.net category; It looks like Google was pulling some "sleight of hand" on us. Not only is the next iteration of Android not going to be Android ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Google Faked Us Out; Android 4.4 Will Not Be Key Lime Pie but 'KitKat' Instead

Google Faked Us Out; Android 4.4 Will Not Be Key Lime Pie but 'KitKat' Instead

It looks like Google was pulling some "sleight of hand" on us. Not only is the next iteration of Android not going to be Android 5.0, it also won't be called Key Lime Pie! According to Sundar Pichai himself, the next version of Android will actually be Android 4.4 and will be called "KitKat" instead of Key Lime Pie. This report may have you scratching your head because the Android team themselves have been referring to the next Android as Key Lime Pie for quite some time.

Apparently, after reflecting on this, the folks at Google believe that not enough people know what a "Key Lime Pie" tastes like. They decided that a KitKat, which is a bit more universally sold around the world, would be a better dessert to choose for the next Android codename. John Lagerling, the director of Android partnerships said, "very few people actually know the taste of a key lime pie." He added that the company "decided to reach out to the Nestle folks." An agreement was reached allowing Google's Andy the Android to use the KitKat name although it's "not a money-changing-hands kind of deal."

Above we have a couple of pics showing the new chocolatey version of Android. This is a shocking yet intriguing "plot twist" for the next iteration of Android. Of course, most of us don't really care what they call it as long as they get it out fast and it does some really cool stuff! Still, if this had been on April 1st, we might have thought it was a joke. Speaking of jokes, I wonder if this was the real reason that Hugo Barra is leaving Google...

Share what you think of the "new" Android.

Thanks for the tip, Tears_for_Fears!

Source: Google's Android & Google+ - Sundar Pichai
    Astrix and UltraDroid like this.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

You know that little planet in Solar System? The one with lots of water in it? Yeah, that's the one!
    Everybody hates the new name but although I dislike sweets in general, "KitKat" seems as a rather fun name to me. Will be fun hearing everybody talk about "KitKat" Android for a couple of years. That's a nice twist from Google. :D

The only thing I'm a bit disappointed is that it's another minor release. Is been awhile since the last major update. Still, hopefully it'll have enough things to enjoy.
    Tears for Fears
    Warning! All outlaws will be shot! Survivors will be shot again!

~~~ Guidelines of Conduct ~~~
    The rest of you, have a nice day.

Having grown up in South Florida, where key lime pie is sold everywhere, I can assure you, it tastes ten times better than some lame Kit Kat bar.....but I digress.
    I agree with the previous statement....seems like this will be a minor update. But then, what's left really? Our phones already do everything our pc's can do....I don't see too many more "major" OS changes coming down the pike.

tap'n

You know that little planet in Solar System? The one with lots of water in it? Yeah, that's the one!
    Quote Originally Posted by CR6 View Post
    Having grown up in South Florida, where key lime pie is sold everywhere, I can assure you, it tastes ten times better than some lame Kit Kat bar.....but I digress.
    I agree with the previous statement....seems like this will be a minor update. But then, what's left really? Our phones already do everything our pc's can do....I don't see too many more "major" OS changes coming down the pike.

tap'n
    As I said, I'm not a fan of sweets in general, I've no idea how either tastes like but "KitKat" sounds playful as a name. (There may be a possibility that it's partially because I may or may not be a fan of cats :D) No one (other than "outsiders" ) is really going to think of the candy bar when talking about Android versions, same as it's been with the previous versions.

If you have seen fan expectations, rumours and wishlists for Key Lime Pie (since it was supposed to be a major update), you should notice there can be a lot of new features implemented in newer versions of Android. And although we can almost (because we still can't properly write code, we still have to rely on PCs for development) do anything we can on a PC and even more, thanks to a bunch of sensors and antennae, some of those things aren't as high quality as PC counterparts are after more than a decade of evolving, our phones are still not mature enough.
    UltraDroid and Astrix like this.
    Tears for Fears
    Warning! All outlaws will be shot! Survivors will be shot again!

~~~ Guidelines of Conduct ~~~
    The rest of you, have a nice day.

My mother - who's a poster child for chocolate addiction - should be pleased.
    Astrix and Tears_for_Fears like this.
    GSM Galaxy Note 3 (Black) - Straight Stock
    GSM Galaxy Note 2 (Titanium) - Rooted running Jedi X20 Rom
    GSM Galaxy Nexus (Black) - Straight Stock

GSM Samsung Galaxy S3 (Red) - Rooted running Deadly Venom v8.0.1 Rom

Twitter
    It's a bird

Nice and one of my fav

Hello to my great buddies UD, Chris & Tears

TapaTalking from Republic™ Of Android

I used to live on KitKat bars when I worked on night shift. Loved them. But grew tired of them. Since that time, had key lime pie once or twice, love it, love it, love it. Between the two, I would prefer Key Lime Pie. To each his/her own.
    Astrix and UltraDroid like this.

Hey Astrix - how ya BEEN, buddy?? Long time no see amigo! Are you back for keeps now (on the forums) or was this just a kind of "drive by"?
    Astrix likes this.
    GSM Galaxy Note 3 (Black) - Straight Stock
    GSM Galaxy Note 2 (Titanium) - Rooted running Jedi X20 Rom
    GSM Galaxy Nexus (Black) - Straight Stock

GSM Samsung Galaxy S3 (Red) - Rooted running Deadly Venom v8.0.1 Rom

Twitter
    It's a bird
    Quote Originally Posted by UltraDroid View Post
    Hey Astrix - how ya BEEN, buddy?? Long time no see amigo! Are you back for keeps now (on the forums) or was this just a kind of "drive by"?
    I'm fine big bro...
    Still stuck with my few new projects. I'm trying my best to keep up on Android and our beloved forums.

How about you bro? Enjoying Kit Kat

TapaTalking from Republic™ Of Android
    UltraDroid likes this.

What's up A! Nice to see you around! :thumbup:

tap'n

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links