Study Indicates 90% of All Data Used by Just 10% of Users

This is a discussion on Study Indicates 90% of All Data Used by Just 10% of Users within the Android News forums, part of the Android.net category; *Raises hand* I'm one of the 10%...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Study Indicates 90% of All Data Used by Just 10% of Users

*Raises hand* I'm one of the 10%

Quote Originally Posted by CR6 View Post
    I have a had time believing this "study". If it were true, the top 4 carriers in the US would have never done away with their "unlimited" and started tiered price plans. I'm happy to be grandfathered in to Verizon's unlimited plan. Oh yea!
    New customers can still get unlimited data on Verizon so theres no need to be grandfathered lol.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by cush2push View Post
    content filtering, policy enforcement, access control, and capacity control points <-- all that sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen especially with the high cost of the 4g data

Most people are ignorant of the fact that spectrum is a limited resource. Unlike fixed networks, where you can add more infrastructure (e.g. fiber), you cannot add more spectrum. You have to work with what is licensed to you. There is an upper limit to that.

So if you are a service provider, how do you manage this? One way is to limit the throughput to those 10% (or 15% or whatever) once they hit a certain threshold of data usage in a billing cycle. One they hit that threshold, their throughput is limited (they still have service, but the throughput is limited so that the rate of data usage is reduced).

This would not affect 90% (or 85% or whatever) of users, since they would never hit the threshold.

Android Enthusiast mountainbikermark's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CR6 View Post
    I have a had time believing this "study". If it were true, the top 4 carriers in the US would have never done away with their "unlimited" and started tiered price plans. I'm happy to be grandfathered in to Verizon's unlimited plan. Oh yea!
    Did you read the story in WSJ where Verizon has stated the iPhone will get unlimited data, but only for now?

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2011/01/25/digits-live-show-verizon-iphone-data-plan-revealed/

Support Our Troops!!
    This post was Tapatalk approved.

The United States is the land of the free because of the brave!
    Thank You to all who serve, have served in the U.S. military ,and to their families for your sacrifices. They are not in vain.
    May God bless the United States of America

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links