Google 'not happy' with Android Market purchase rates, many changes coming

This is a discussion on Google 'not happy' with Android Market purchase rates, many changes coming within the Android News forums, part of the Android.net category; Google 'not happy' with Android Market purchase rates, many changes coming By Tim Stevens posted Jan 26th 2011 6:51AM Having a Market full of apps ...

Thread: Google 'not happy' with Android Market purchase rates, many changes coming

Twitter
    wwickedd

By Tim Stevens posted Jan 26th 2011 6:51AM

Having a Market full of apps is a very good thing for owners of Android handsets, but those owners buying few premium apps is a bad thing for developers who keep that Market full. That, of course, is also bad news for Google, which is making a variety of changes to appease devs, some of which Android Platform Manager Eric Chu outlined at the Inside Social Apps conference yesterday. After already nuking the 24 hour trial period Google is now working on an in-app payment system, which would enable the direct-selling of add-ons, costumes, and enough other bits and bobs to ensure you'll never buy a fully-featured app again.

Google is also negotiating with more carriers to allow users to have app purchases appear on their bill, rather than using a separate payment system, as is already possible on AT&T. Finally, a team of honest to gosh humans is working on helping to weed out apps that violate the company's terms of service, sifting through the Market to find bogus downloads, perhaps an admission that the "open and unobstructed environment" ideal isn't working out. We wonder if they'll also be looking for free apps that quite capably provide the functionality of premium ones. Those, it seems, are the greatest threat to the paid apps -- and perhaps the greatest asset of the Market itself.

Apple Headlines
    Forbes

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Android Enthusiast OneTenderRebel's Avatar
    Personally I love that I can purchase my apps through google checkout opposed to adding it onto my bill. I love being able to budget my cell bill and have it be the same every month. I think Google is slowly realizing that Apple may know a thing or two about their app store. Not saying Google should go that same direction but there is a reason the App store is so successful even when their apps cost quite a bit more.
    To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad.

Twitter
    androiddotnet
    This is good news - the Android Market is still lacking in some areas and I for one will be glad to see it progress

I think in app purchases is an important addition because consumerism strives on giving people instantaneous gratification in response to their impulsive behavior. Simply being notified of a paid version or paid add-on truly isn't enough, because we as consumers are far to lazy to go on the market, seek it out, and then actually purchase an app that we may not really want/need; that's simply way to many steps between the moment we were most inclined to make the purchase and when the final transaction is done; with each step we take in between, our impulsive behavior starts to wear off and reason begins setting in; by the time we're actually at the checkout, if we even got that far, we are more likely to back out.

Even knowing all this as a consumer, when I was an iPhone user I purchased soooo.... many apps. I was fully aware of the marketing strategies they were using against me, yet they still worked! I think when I switched to android I purchased more apps than most people, and not because the Google market was doing a good job, but because I was so use to app shopping on the iPhone.

Here are other things that neither Apple nor Google do in their app markets, that THEY SHOULD DO:

1. A button to add any app your interested in to your wish list, why? Because maybe we want an app but we are just not ready to purchase it today, rather than rely on us (the consumer) to remember all the apps we once wanted but didn't buy, remind us, with our wish list.

2. Automated deal watcher purchase, if a particular app on on our wish list suddenly has a price drop below a certain amount that we have already decided we are willing to pay, then the transaction should be fully automated. Essentially it would be kind of like bidding on apps, the way ebay works; only there isn't only one item.... so everyone bids what they are willing to pay.. the dev is notified that they have this many outstanding bids at X amount of money, and then they can decide weather or not they will momentarily drop the price to let those transactions go through. It's almost like integrating a bartering system into the market.

3. Smarter app recommending service, rather than comparing the apps you already have purchased to ones on the market, they should have you fill out a short questionare about interest and phone usage, so they can match your answers with keywords and attributes associated with apps on the market.

I have many more ideas.. but these companies should be paying me for my marketing advice.

{{ WugFresh }}

Twitter
    @Dorian_At_ATT
    The thing I want to see come to every Android phone as a baked in feature is to have a little more solidarity. When you purchase an app on iOS devices, you only have to sync once and then you'll never loose that paid app because it's backed up on your computer and is 100% trouble-free restorable to whatever other iOS device you get.

If Android had something similar, to give people more security in their purchases without having to think about it, it would drive $. Solidarity is something Android is lacking in several areas, IMO.

Need Assistance? Contact me at dorian@android.net

Quote Originally Posted by OneTenderRebel View Post
    Personally I love that I can purchase my apps through google checkout opposed to adding it onto my bill. I love being able to budget my cell bill and have it be the same every month.
    I'm with you. I also like being able to use Google Checkout rather than having every purchase tacked onto my phone bill.

Quote Originally Posted by Mujibar View Post
    I'm with you. I also like being able to use Google Checkout rather than having every purchase tacked onto my phone bill.
    Same here. Hopefully, they will give us the option to choose whether to add it to our bill or use google checkout.

Sent from my DROIDX using Android.net App
    Rooted Droid X
    Overclocked at 1.35 GHz

A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be.
    -Albert Einstein

For anyone interested in undervolting, read Undervolting Guide.

When I had an iPhone it was sepperate, you just used your iTunes account...did that ever change?

{{ WugFresh }}

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links