[RUMOR]Motorola DROID X sequel to feature dual-core Tegra 2, improved display

This is a discussion on [RUMOR]Motorola DROID X sequel to feature dual-core Tegra 2, improved display within the Android News forums, part of the Android.net category; Starting some time in 2012 Verizon will most likely phase out all 3g smartphones, thus forcing those that want a smartphone to get a 4g ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: [RUMOR]Motorola DROID X sequel to feature dual-core Tegra 2, improved display

Starting some time in 2012 Verizon will most likely phase out all 3g smartphones, thus forcing those that want a smartphone to get a 4g device and data plan. It would seem logical since they stated that their entire 3g network coverage should be converted to 4g by 2013.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    New to Android or just need a refresher course, Abe has you covered
    "Guidelines of Conduct" for Android.net
    Respect is number 1 in the Forums.

We are the droid owners
    Resistance is Futile, YOU Will be Assimilated...

Quote Originally Posted by Quicksilver7714 View Post
    Starting some time in 2012 Verizon will most likely phase out all 3g smartphones, thus forcing those that want a smartphone to get a 4g device and data plan. It would seem logical since they stated that their entire 3g network coverage should be converted to 4g by 2013.

From what a buddy of mine is saying (manager of a verizon outlet) is that 3g phones wont be phased out until 5g rolls around. Biggest reason are the non smart phones (which yes everyone is trying to get rid of) but there will always be a few. For smart phones, that may actually be the case, that you may not be able to find a 3g smartphone after a certain date. IMO its so they can get people out of their unlimited packages and onto tier'd plans. Was told I keep my unlimited data until I make a change to my plan (i.e. 4g phone). Kind of a crappy deal but understandable from a profit stand point on V's behalf (and making up for upgrading to 4g network).

I love my X, glad to see they may make a X'2. Dual core proc would be awesome for these beasts.
    Last edited by Blueduck3285; 01-27-2011 at 06:36 PM.

Twitter
    @Dorian_At_ATT
    Quote Originally Posted by Quicksilver7714 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Blueduck3285 View Post
    From what a buddy of mine is saying (manager of a verizon outlet) is that 3g phones wont be phased out until 5g rolls around. Biggest reason are the non smart phones (which yes everyone is trying to get rid of) but there will always be a few. For smart phones, that may actually be the case, that you may not be able to find a 3g smartphone after a certain date. IMO its so they can get people out of their unlimited packages and onto tier'd plans. Was told I keep my unlimited data until I make a change to my plan (i.e. 4g phone). Kind of a crappy deal but understandable from a profit stand point on V's behalf (and making up for upgrading to 4g network).

I love my X, glad to see they may make a X'2. Dual core proc would be awesome for these beasts.
    The structure that Verizon is going for with their LTE rollout is a big step. LTE in late 2012 will start to phase out 1xRTT/EV and regular CDMA services in much the same way AT&T went from TDMA to GSM. LTE is a core network replacement... meant to handle voice and packet data. When Verizon has enough of their LTE data network rolled out, CDMA will be phased into LTE Voice, and 1x-EV will be the last to go. 1x-EV will continue to be a fall-back network like EDGE is for GSM carriers until VZW hits 90%+ LTE footprint.

Need Assistance? Contact me at dorian@android.net

Quote Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
    The structure that Verizon is going for with their LTE rollout is a big step. LTE in late 2012 will start to phase out 1xRTT/EV and regular CDMA services in much the same way AT&T went from TDMA to GSM. LTE is a core network replacement... meant to handle voice and packet data. When Verizon has enough of their LTE data network rolled out, CDMA will be phased into LTE Voice, and 1x-EV will be the last to go. 1x-EV will continue to be a fall-back network like EDGE is for GSM carriers until VZW hits 90%+ LTE footprint.
    I knew cdma was going. Heard it was because you have to have a sim card for 4g which cdma doesn't support(?). Will be nice to be able to change between phones like I was able to with t-moble. Network only card about my sim card.

Given Motorola's apparent opinion of us "hackers", I'll wait to see what HTC comes up with around November.
    T-Mobile G2X...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links