Verizon Soon to Release Competent Competitor to Google Nav - VZ Navigator VX

This is a discussion on Verizon Soon to Release Competent Competitor to Google Nav - VZ Navigator VX within the Android News forums, part of the Android.net category; We just found a surprising press release from Verizon about an upcoming Verizon created Navigation program that might actually give the venerable Google Nav some ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Verizon Soon to Release Competent Competitor to Google Nav - VZ Navigator VX

Verizon Soon to Release Competent Competitor to Google Nav - VZ Navigator VX

We just found a surprising press release from Verizon about an upcoming Verizon created Navigation program that might actually give the venerable Google Nav some decent competition, at least in a few countries. It's called VZ Navigator VX and it packs some pretty incredible features if the video (above) and the press release can be believed. It does have one caveat though... it sports heavy 'Bing!' integration. I suppose that's relative, but it would be nice to have more choice in the matter. Regardless, it will be good to have competition in the navigation market as it only spurs the evolution of the products. Let us know in the forums if this is something you would try out. Here's the full Press Release,
    Verizon Wireless today announced VZ Navigator VX - the latest version of the company’s award-winning navigation service - is now available on select DROID™ smartphones, including DROID X by Motorola, DROID Incredible by HTC and the Samsung Fascinate™. Powered by TeleCommunication Systems, VZ Navigator VX is unlike any other navigation service offered today, providing customers with 3D navigation views using enhanced 3D city models and true-to-life images of highway and exit signs.

An evolution of ordinary direction services, the 3D capabilities of VZ Navigator VX are available in six cities at launch, including: Chicago, Detroit, Los Angeles, Kansas City, Mo., New York, and Washington D.C., with more cities being added in 2011. The 3D city and road views add dimension to the turn-by-turn directions VZ Navigator VX offers. Other enhancements in the newest version include “real” signs and road views, satellite maps and day/night modes among other features.

“Verizon Wireless continues to add more to VZ Navigator, and VZ Navigator VX now gives our customers some of the most advanced mapping and navigation services available today,” said Kristi Crum, director, Consumer Solutions for Verizon Wireless. “Whether they are in a familiar place and need to get around more efficiently or exploring new territory in a car or on foot, customers can turn to VZ Navigator to get them where they want to go.”

VZ Navigator VX builds on existing location-based technology, including an easy-to-use interface, improved functionality for finding points of interest, the ability to run multiple VZ Navigator functions simultaneously within a navigation session and integration with Facebook®.

Customers can download VZ Navigator VX from the Android Market™. It is available for $9.99 a month for unlimited access, $4.99 for a weekly usage or $2.99 for a one-day/24-hour use. VZ Navigator VX is available initially on DROID X by Motorola, the Samsung Fascinate and the DROID Incredible by HTC with additional devices rolling out in 2011. Unlike traditional navigation devices that require annual upgrades to remain accurate, the monthly charge includes continuous updates to maps and points of interest. Download charges vary and airtime or megabyte charges may apply when browsing, downloading and using certain applications.

TeleCommunication Systems (TCS) (Nasdaq: TSYS), is a leader in location-based technology whose mobile services empower consumers to make quick, smart decisions when they’re on the go. For more information about TCS products and services, visit TeleCommunication Systems, Inc. (TCS) | Connections that Matter®.
    Source: Verizon Wireless

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Twitter
    wwickedd
    Yeah I saw this on engadget, and thought to myself... Do I want to pay $9.99 a month for navigation when I get it for free with google maps? I'll pass.

I had a version of this when I had my Voyager. It cost the same as this, but there was also an option to pay $3 for 24 hours (in case you went to a strange city). I'm happy with Google.

Quote Originally Posted by wicked View Post
    Yeah I saw this on engadget, and thought to myself... Do I want to pay $9.99 a month for navigation when I get it for free with google maps? I'll pass.
    Lol, had the same thoughts.
    Rooted Droid X
    Overclocked at 1.35 GHz

A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be.
    -Albert Einstein

For anyone interested in undervolting, read Undervolting Guide.

Quote Originally Posted by wicked View Post
    Ditto, why pay when you can get it for free!! "Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free" kind of thing!
    Droid X

Well, if Verizon was able to block Google Maps, then there would be a problem. Of course, rooting might take care of that.

Gee...let me think this thru...I've got a good nav system already installed on my phone...I've got a TomTom just in case...no extra cost for either...Wow...I'm gonna have to pass...
    T-Mobile G2X...

Who in their bleedin' mind will pay for VZ Nav over the FREE and really good Google Navigation? If you're out there, please tell me why so I can understand.

Why in the world would I pay $9.99/month for something I get for free? If this was let's say...$5/year I might use it. Not for $120 though. My phone bill is expencive enough.

Silly Verizon, Google maps For the Win.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    New to Android or just need a refresher course, Abe has you covered
    "Guidelines of Conduct" for Android.net
    Respect is number 1 in the Forums.

We are the droid owners
    Resistance is Futile, YOU Will be Assimilated...

Android Enthusiast Martin030908's Avatar
    I'm as stumped as others.

first, google maps is free so why pay 10 bucks a month for the same service?

second, a stand alone gps device has the same upfront cost as a smartphone yet carries no subscription fee. so again, why pay monthly?

are there really people who buy this service? lol.

Sent from my Droid using Android.net App

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links