Android 2.4 rumors begin to swirl

This is a discussion on Android 2.4 rumors begin to swirl within the Android News forums, part of the Android.net category; There is a rumor floating right now that Gingerbread 2.3 might just get supplanted in April by a 2.4 version of Android that is designed ...

Thread: Android 2.4 rumors begin to swirl

Twitter
    droidforums

Android 2.4 rumors begin to swirl

There is a rumor floating right now that Gingerbread 2.3 might just get supplanted in April by a 2.4 version of Android that is designed to run dual-core apps on single-core phones and facilitate Honeycomb-like functionality. Their are multiple sources to these rumors that agree 2.4 is coming, but they can't seem to agree what its name will be. One source thinks it will still be called 'Gingerbread', kind of like how Google released Android 2.1 and it was still Eclair. The other source is confident that the new version 2.4 will be called 'Ice Cream' and even specified that it would not be 'Ice Cream Sandwich'. This source even specified that 'Ice Cream Sandwich' is still coming and it will be Android 3.1.

Regardless of which source turns out to be accurate on the naming, its interesting news to find out that Google may crank out a 2.4 OS so quickly after releasing 2.3, and that it will help with the transition into dual-core phones. It's good to see that Google is watching out for us, and it might be one of the reasons why we aren't seeing very many manufacturers, like Samsung, jump to update their smartphones to Gingerbread very quickly. Maybe they simply knew something we didn't all along.

By DGStorm,
    Source: [Rumor] Android 2.4 May Arrive as Early as April - Designed Honeycomb-like - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

I'm getting fat just looking at Google's lawn! I want honeycomb!
    Beauty is in the eyes of the beerholder

that is good news! that makes the idea of waiting for dual core phones even more appealing.

altho, i can't help but laugh a little at the naming process. 2.2 was the letter F; 2.3 was the letter G; 3.0 was the letter H. but now, they're going to have 2 letter I's - one for 2.4 and one for 3.1?? Gingersnap would make more sense to me for 2.4 (at least to the extent you can say that it makes "sense" to name OS's after treat foods)...

My name is not Kate; but I am all Husker!

"You really know how to cover your butt Gillette; but those pants are a huge mistake." -- Irwin Fletcher, "Fletch"

Twitter
    androiddotnet
    Quote Originally Posted by alphawave7 View Post
    I'm getting fat just looking at Google's lawn! I want honeycomb!
    I know one of our members has to live close to Google HQ - a picture of yourself with that backdrop would be sweet

Android Enthusiast Martin030908's Avatar
    ... i don't think 2.4 will be named ice cream... just that it would be Gingerbread when released. (since it's supposed to be 2.3 with optimization for single core phones to run apps written for dual core)

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links