Netflix on Android Confirmed for Snapdragon Phones First

This is a discussion on Netflix on Android Confirmed for Snapdragon Phones First within the Android News forums, part of the Android.net category; Qualcomm’s Snapdragon Platform to Help Enable Instant Streaming from Netflix on Android Devices Fulfills Netflix Security Requirements Necessary to Bring Netflix Application to Snapdragon-enabled Android ...

Thread: Netflix on Android Confirmed for Snapdragon Phones First

Twitter
    garemlin

Netflix on Android Confirmed for Snapdragon Phones First

Qualcomm’s Snapdragon Platform to Help Enable Instant Streaming from Netflix on Android Devices

Fulfills Netflix Security Requirements Necessary to Bring Netflix Application to Snapdragon-enabled Android Devices

BARCELONA, SPAIN – February 14, 2011 – Qualcomm Incorporated (NASDAQ: QCOM), a leading developer and innovator of advanced wireless technologies, products and services, today announced that future Android devices powered by the Snapdragon™ platform will have access to instant streaming of TV shows and movies from Netflix.

“We’re excited about this collaborative effort to help bring the Netflix application to Android devices running on the Snapdragon platform,” said Liat Ben-Zur, senior director of software strategy and ecosystems for Qualcomm. “Qualcomm is in a unique position to help bring the most optimized and advanced Android apps to market through working closely with the strong ecosystem of Snapdragon developers like Netflix.”

Snapdragon processors are designed to deliver dynamic performance and media protection features in a turnkey package, allowing the devices they power to more easily pass through the approval process required for Netflix certification. Additionally, Netflix video decoding is handled by highly efficient dedicated hardware, extending battery life and improving picture quality.

“We’re pleased to expand our mobile offering by providing our members an app for TV shows and movies streaming from Netflix to Snapdragon-enabled Android devices,” said Bill Holmes, Netflix vice president of Business Development. “Qualcomm’s expertise in mobile hardware/software integration and their collaboration in the consumer electronics space makes them the perfect fit in bringing Netflix to a range of Android handsets and tablets.”

Qualcomm will demonstrate the Netflix application for at the GSMA’s Mobile World Congress in the Company’s exhibit, located in Exhibit Hall 8, #8B53.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Twitter
    @Dorian_At_ATT
    For WP7 and iOS there is no specific hardware that enables them to be able to use Netflix. This, I don't get. I don't get what Qualcomm is trying to do here. Snapdragon, OMAP, Hummingbird, Exynos... they ALL have full codec support from hardware decoders already. All that needs to be done on Android is software DRM, which should be no problem if implemented correctly, and I can think of several ways to accomplish that.

Need Assistance? Contact me at dorian@android.net

WOOT!!!! Wanted this yesterday..heck..last year! LOL!
    Beauty is in the eyes of the beerholder

Android Sr Member phillycodehound's Avatar
    Twitter
    sethgoldstein
    That would be both awesome and dangerous as I wouldn't get anything done. :-D

Super Moderator/RS furbearingmammal's Avatar
    Two hours north of Syracuse, NY. Yes, there IS civilization that far north.
    Twitter
    FurryVarmint
    Makes me wonder how long before it's rated for the OMAP processors. If ever. Not that I have a Netflix subscription, but if I could get one for my Droid that would extend to my PC (assuming I could use tethering to download)... Ah well, probably just a pipe dream.

Some of the best android news I have heard

Sent from my Droid using Android.net App

Quote Originally Posted by firewing View Post
    Some of the best android news I have heard

Sent from my Droid using Android.net App
    Now the question is...when do I start hitting the market every 10 minutes!?! Hurry up, Netflix!
    Beauty is in the eyes of the beerholder

Twitter
    wwickedd
    Here's the updated article with demo video Android-powered LG Revolution caught streaming Netflix at MWC (video) -- Engadget

That's just too bad, existing smartphones even the ones with Snapdragon chips will not be able to utilize Netflix without the new hardware.
    The iPhone has had Netflix for how long now? Like Dorian stated, I don't know why the heck they are doing this.
    Last edited by wicked; 02-15-2011 at 07:56 AM.

Super Moderator/RS furbearingmammal's Avatar
    Two hours north of Syracuse, NY. Yes, there IS civilization that far north.
    Twitter
    FurryVarmint
    The less hardware they have to officially support the less they have to spend. It's all about the Pentiums. Benjamins! I mean Benjamins!

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links