Xoom will ship w/out Flash support on February 24th, expects it in 'Spring' 2011?

This is a discussion on Xoom will ship w/out Flash support on February 24th, expects it in 'Spring' 2011? within the Android News forums, part of the Android.net category; Verizon's webpage dedicated to the Xoom has just gone up and one of our eagle-eyed readers has already spotted a disquieting bit of small print: ...

Thread: Xoom will ship w/out Flash support on February 24th, expects it in 'Spring' 2011?

Twitter
    wwickedd

Xoom will ship w/out Flash support on February 24th, expects it in 'Spring' 2011?

Verizon's webpage dedicated to the Xoom has just gone up and one of our eagle-eyed readers has already spotted a disquieting bit of small print: "Adobe Flash expected Spring 2011." You don't sit around expecting what you already have, so that leads us to conclude that the Xoom, the mighty iPad-slaying, Honeycomb-bringing, world-changing tablet... won't have Flash at launch. The version of Adobe's rich media player it's waiting for is most probably 10.2 for mobile devices, scheduled to arrive in the coming weeks, which should mean first-day buyers this Thursday will get a limited-time premium feature on their tablets: no Flash ads.

UPDATE: In a blog post that went up just an hour ago, they announced that Flash 10.2 (instead of 10.1) will be available within a few weeks…
    Adobe will offer Flash Player 10.2 preinstalled on some tablets and as an OTA download on others within a few weeks of Android 3 (Honeycomb) devices becoming available, the first of which is expected to be the Motorola Xoom.
    While it still won’t be pre-installed, and our full web experience will be crippled for a bit, at least we have some sort of idea as to when we can expect an update. A “few weeks” may not be as specific as we’d like, but it sure sounds a lot better than “Spring 2011.”

engadget
    Last edited by wicked; 02-21-2011 at 11:47 PM.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Twitter
    wwickedd
    I hope this just means that Adobe Flash 10.2 won't come installed on Honeycomb and will come later but we'll be able to install Flash 10.1 off the market?
    Either way, spring is just around the corner.

Super Moderator/Rescue Squad jstafford1's Avatar
    Twitter
    jstaff79
    I read a Best Buy ad last night boasting Flash support. Oh well...one of these has to be right I guess. While it's annoying, it's not the end of the world.

Twitter
    wwickedd
    UPDATE: In a blog post that went up just an hour ago, they announced that Flash 10.2 (instead of 10.1) will be available within a few weeks…
    Adobe will offer Flash Player 10.2 preinstalled on some tablets and as an OTA download on others within a few weeks of Android 3 (Honeycomb) devices becoming available, the first of which is expected to be the Motorola Xoom.
    While it still won’t be pre-installed, and our full web experience will be crippled for a bit, at least we have some sort of idea as to when we can expect an update. A “few weeks” may not be as specific as we’d like, but it sure sounds a lot better than “Spring 2011.”

Super Moderator/RS furbearingmammal's Avatar
    Two hours north of Syracuse, NY. Yes, there IS civilization that far north.
    Twitter
    FurryVarmint
    I turn Flash to On-Demand anyway in the browser settings on my phone... But since I'm not getting a Xoom it's not exactly a problem for me. Think someone will hack a 10.1 onto the Xoom before 10.2 becomes available?

Twitter
    wwickedd
    Quote Originally Posted by furbearingmammal View Post
    I turn Flash to On-Demand anyway in the browser settings on my phone... But since I'm not getting a Xoom it's not exactly a problem for me. Think someone will hack a 10.1 onto the Xoom before 10.2 becomes available?
    Actually there's already a hacked 10.1 over at XDA.

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/02/21...ash-10-1-file/

Super Moderator/RS furbearingmammal's Avatar
    Two hours north of Syracuse, NY. Yes, there IS civilization that far north.
    Twitter
    FurryVarmint
    That didn't take long. So, what's this about no Flash? :D

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links