Saved From a Speeding Ticket by 'Andy'

This is a discussion on Saved From a Speeding Ticket by 'Andy' within the Android News forums, part of the Android.net category; Sometimes I wonder if there is anything that the Android cannot eventually do, and I am reminded that the answer is definitively, "No". In fact, ...

Thread: Saved From a Speeding Ticket by 'Andy'

Saved From a Speeding Ticket by 'Andy'

Sometimes I wonder if there is anything that the Android cannot eventually do, and I am reminded that the answer is definitively, "No". In fact, 'Andy' can even 'sometimes' get you out of a speeding ticket. Sahas Katta, a writer for Skattertech.com, shared in a recent article, his experience where his Android did exactly that.

Mr. Katta happened to be utilizing the free app 'My Tracks' by Google, that records and visualizes your GPS data on a map, at a moment when he was stopped and ticketed by a traffic police officer. The officer supposedly clocked him with radar doing 40MPH in a 25MPH zone. Mr. Katta knew he wasn't going that fast, but because this was the first time he had ever been stopped for a traffic violation, he panicked and didn't negotiate with the officer at all. When he got home, he realized that he was running his 'My Tracks' app and decided to check it. Here's a quote from his article,
    I pulled up my history for the previous session which displays information such as distance, average speed, average moving speed, and max speed. It even stores maximum and minimum elevation levels for those that need it. More importantly, I found that my phone only recorded a top speed of just 26 miles per hour, significantly lower than the cited speed. I now knew I was not speeding.
    Eventually, Mr. Katta went to traffic court to fight the ticket. With his digital evidence in tow, some advanced prep-work, including an article he found about an ongoing Sonoma County Superior Court case regarding the accuracy of GPS devices and radar guns, and a few savvy questions to the traffic cop, the judge ultimately ruled that there was not enough evidence to find Mr. Katta guilty.

It's important to note, as did Mr. Katta in his article, that...
    To avoid any misinterpretations about his ruling, he chose to clarify his decision by citing the lack of evidence on the officerís part. He mentioned that he was not familiar enough with GPS technology to make a decision based on my evidence, but I canít help but imagine that it was an important factor.
    An improbable outcome to an improbable story, yet it makes for an interesting 'victory' for 'Andy'. Mr. Katta also points out in his article that he is not intending it to be an attack on the police, rather to point out the potential inaccuracies in radar gun technology, and the cool use of Android technology in assisting his defense.

Source: Skattertech.com

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Super Moderator/RS furbearingmammal's Avatar
    Two hours north of Syracuse, NY. Yes, there IS civilization that far north.
    Twitter
    FurryVarmint
    Lucky him. 9/10 or MORE of all cases arguing that the GPS in a car showed a lower speed than the radar gun get laughed out of court. Cops are given the benefit of the doubt. Civilians aren't. Way to go Mr. Katta!
    Last edited by furbearingmammal; 02-24-2011 at 02:13 AM.

Having had many years of sportscar automobile club experience, this sounds nice but unrealistic. There are deadlines, beyond which a defendant cannot be successful, no matter what. You don't just walk into a court waving your droid. It isn't evidence and will carry no weight. The only real way to handle this, is to pay a good lawyer. As for negotiating with the officer, this will most definitely increase your chances of a) a ticket and b) once you get to court, put a nail in your coffin. Loose lips sink ships.

Twitter
    Nd1razor
    That is just awesome!

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links