SHOCKER--ATT to buy TMobile

This is a discussion on SHOCKER--ATT to buy TMobile within the Android News forums, part of the Android.net category; It is going to be interresting all the way around. My thing is this... With AT&T acquiring Tmobile, the only other GSM service provider here ...

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: SHOCKER--ATT to buy TMobile

It is going to be interresting all the way around. My thing is this... With AT&T acquiring Tmobile, the only other GSM service provider here in America, than that would mean that they are a monopoly, and that is illegal here in the US.

I'm not sure that the FCC would really consider tech in this. They won't likely look past the fact that there are other Cell providers out there.

Super Moderator/RS furbearingmammal's Avatar
    Two hours north of Syracuse, NY. Yes, there IS civilization that far north.
    Twitter
    FurryVarmint
    I stand by the tweet I had to retweet when I saw it.

You mean AT&T had $39,000,000,000 laying around and they weren't building more cell towers?
    DO NOT WRITE IN THIS SPACE
    THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Twitter
    @Dorian_At_ATT
    Quote Originally Posted by furbearingmammal View Post
    I stand by the tweet I had to retweet when I saw it.

You mean AT&T had $39,000,000,000 laying around and they weren't building more cell towers?
    Indeed. We're cheap like that. :rolleyes:

This is something I saw trending on twitter a second ago...

"T-Mobile/AT&T should just be shortened to T&A."

Need Assistance? Contact me at dorian@android.net

kinda of reminds me when Cingular became AT&T, one day my friends phone ("feature phone") no longer said Cingular at the top. She had no clue and was freaked out about the change. I was wondering when this would happen tho, since they're both on the GSM network and just increasing the speeds to HSPA+ and calling it 4G haha.

And they would not consider them a monopoly because nationally they're number 2 and 4, I'm not sure how it'll stack up now, VZW may have to play catch up... or just buy out Sprint (Can you hear NASCAR becoming the NASCAR Verizon Cup Series?? Let's hope not)....

I dunno...I hope there will be some serious regulatory hurdles on this one. The more I think about it, the more I think it's a bad thing for the public at large. Too many times large mergers have eliminated competition from the marketplace...just look at today's banking industry! How did your credit cards jump from 4% to 30%?? Could that have happened without Chase, Wells Fargo, etc. swallowing up all the smaller, floundering (by their own hand, btw) institutions? Sure they want to make money, but buying your way into the number 1 market share is not good for anyone except AT&T.

Super Moderator/Rescue Squad jstafford1's Avatar
    Twitter
    jstaff79
    No more hurdles than when VZW bought Altel.

I just think its funny the recent ads from Tmobile jabbing AT&T. This didn't just happen...they hid it pretty well.

Sent from somewhere...

Quote Originally Posted by jstafford1 View Post
    No more hurdles than when VZW bought Altel.

I just think its funny the recent ads from Tmobile jabbing AT&T. This didn't just happen...they hid it pretty well.

Sent from somewhere...
    Possibly a negotiation tactic. :P The comments on SFGate (local paper website) are overwhelmingly negative, regardless of which provider the commenter subs to...no one seems to be cheering this. I hope Sprint and VZN has a better lobby/PR firm than ATT....
    Beauty is in the eyes of the beerholder

i don't think that this will get as much anti-trust attention as it should... not with Verizon and Sprint commanding such a large portion of the market. And I can see how this would positively affect the end-user -- in the way of economies to scale. It's likely that we will see economies to scale begin to develop with the large increase in fixed assets, and hopefully an increase in net profits for the "new" AT&T, resulting in more competitive offers to try to take more market share away from Verizon and Sprint.

They will be unable to retain all their earnings, so those earnings will likely go into either infrastructure or aggressive marketing, or both. All of which are good for the end-user. The extortion that people fear is just simply not a realistic possibility. Not the way the information flows today -- people would terminate their contracts left and right and you'd start seeing many more tactics like Sprint's backdoor subsidy of your termination fee if you sign a new Sprint contract. No company can afford to abuse its customers.

ATT actually has very competitive prices now. I pay $70 for unlimited everything. When Verizon came out with the iPhone on the same day ATT added unlimited mobile to any mobile to customers that already had unlimited Texting for free. So when this happened I just lowered my minutes to the lowest min. Plan. Bc the min. Are only used for1-800 numbers and land lines. And now that LTE is coming into play and cause there gsm AND there taking over t-mobile towers I don't see why nobody wouldnt go with ATT.
    Sent from my Desire HD using Android.net App
    Last edited by crxlex; 03-22-2011 at 12:05 PM.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links