SHOCKER--ATT to buy TMobile

This is a discussion on SHOCKER--ATT to buy TMobile within the Android News forums, part of the Android.net category; Wouldnt* Sent from my Desire HD using Android.net App...

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: SHOCKER--ATT to buy TMobile

Wouldnt*

Sent from my Desire HD using Android.net App

Super Moderator/RS furbearingmammal's Avatar
    Two hours north of Syracuse, NY. Yes, there IS civilization that far north.
    Twitter
    FurryVarmint
    Quote Originally Posted by vuarnet View Post
    No company can afford to abuse its customers.
    AT&T ends illicit freetard handset tethering ? The Register

Nope, not a one.
    DO NOT WRITE IN THIS SPACE
    THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Quote Originally Posted by furbearingmammal View Post
    Yeah I'm well aware of that. And I don't consider that abuse; not by a long shot. I consider that business.

And I would also consider that better than the alternatives ... default of contract (== termination of your contract + financial liability of the un-subsidized price of your device + the full cancellation fee) OR theft of services (bandwidth) which is prosecutable by law...

If I were stealing bandwidth knowingly (and I'm not), I'd pick getting opted-in to pay for something I was already stealing anyway over breaching the terms of a contract or being made an example of by the judicial system anyday.

I think we, as a community, grossly overestimate the ignorance of carriers and manufacturers, and take for granted the things that we are *allowed* to get away with.

edit: I also think people forget that the *contracts* we sign to get a subsidized price for a new device is just that -- a *contract*. I feel like people think it's all win for them -- they just sign a contract and get a $600 phone for $200. You can rest assured the manufacturers and carriers don't eat that $400 -- it's their $400 in the first place (market value of merchandise).
    Last edited by RayBan; 03-22-2011 at 01:34 PM.

Twitter
    FurryVarmint
    Example of? They cancel the contract, refuse to give you another, hit you with a stiff ETF, and give your phone a bad ESN/IMEI number so you can't sell it, and call it a day. THAT is business. The fact is if they offer unlimited data they're selling unlimited data. Not capped, throttled, or restricted.

Having your contract cancelled is part and parcel of the risk we take for tethering. Not getting signed up for extra "features" that cost us money without our consent.

Example of? They cancel the contract, refuse to give you another, hit you with a stiff ETF, and give your phone a bad ESN/IMEI number so you can't sell it, and call it a day. THAT is business. The fact is if they offer unlimited data they're selling unlimited data. Not capped, throttled, or restricted.

Having your contract cancelled is part and parcel of the risk we take for tethering. Not getting signed up for extra "features" that cost us money without our consent.
    And as I understand it, the user is given the choice to discontinue the "illegal" tethering without being auto-enrolled in any service. That's what the Register article said -- that's the same article I read a few days ago.

There's really no clear-cut solution that would make all parties happy. But I'd say that *tentatively* opting a user in for a service they're already using is relatively benign. Especially considering the alternatives, and considering that they are given fair notice to stop the activity to avoid getting opted in for any additional services.

But there is certainly no ethical defense for capping data for *unlimited* data plans. Maybe I'm alone here but unless I'm missing something in the word "unlimited" ... it leads me to believe that it's...well.. unlimited! ... I agree 110% on that!

Twitter
    FurryVarmint
    Example of what? Them cancelling service, etc? That's the agreement we signed. If we violate the TOS they cancel our service, not opt us in for something. I put the emphasis there because opt-in for billing without the user's consent is patently illegal. The only reason they're doing this is because the end user probably can't afford a lawsuit with a multi-billion-dollar company. I know I can't. :D I'm only upset over the whole thing because VZW looks to AT&T for new ways to bleed their customers dry.

As for making the parties happy, the only reason AT&T isn't happy is they think they're entitled to more money. Not for the "shareholders", but in bonuses for the board members for being so clever as to open up a new revenue stream. That's corporate culture in this country. But anyway...

Makes me wonder if using that TBH Data Hack wouldn't be a good idea -- or if it's mostly people on AT&T doing foolish things like tethering for console gaming since there's NO WAY to disguise that.

You have to remember the simple fact of the matter is this... If you can't beat 'em join 'em. And in this case buy them. Look face facts, Tmobile has the fastest network out there, AT&T likes being second to know one so, buy the faster company. No offense to any AT&T employee but, only reason the corporation has that much money was from ripping off their customers for years. I also want to state that this tactic had no way, shape or form reflects the mass majority of AT&T employees. I will give an example of their rip off... Two years ago my significant others son went on a trip from Washington state to Wyoming, accessed the Web for a place to eat along the way while they were in Northern Utah... Came back home a week later, at the next bill cycle the bill was SIX THOUSAND DOLLARS!!! That's $6,000.00 for the data charge. Called into AT&T and guess what? They got stuck for the data charge and was given the BS excuse it was from roaming. FYI, he was on the Unlimited Data Plan. So, yes I can understand why they have 39 billion laying around. I know I will get a lot of responses for this. But, once again people like Dorian are not responsible for this. It was corporates decision.

Example of what?
    ooooh! sorry, i misunderstood the "example of?" in your first response lol my bad ... all i meant it as in "to make an example of" someone. Like practically a Winona Ryder / teenager caught downloading from file-sharing programs type thing. that's it -- lol

opt-in for billing without the user's consent is patently illegal. The only reason they're doing this is because the end user probably can't afford a lawsuit with a multi-billion-dollar company.
    you are 10000000% right about that ... plus, i'm sure if you call in and promptly let them know that they're coming dangerously close to defaulting on their own contract, you'll get a token "one moment please..." and then you'll get the classic "we apologize for the inconvenience..." along with all the other due backpedaling. i guess that's why no one actually got signed up for anything yet, it was probably more of a "if you don't stop, we're GOING to... (even though we really can't)" sort of thing... lol

unless of course the contract has a change of terms clause that allows AT&T to change the terms of the contract, but usually clauses such as that have provisions for you to be able to reject the changes and terminate the contract. but that's just pure speculation, considering that i've never read an AT&T contract since i'm with verizon! lol

Twitter
    FurryVarmint
    Well, they can legally change their TOS at any time. I haven't heard rumors that they have, so... Anyway.

SLAG IT!, actually LTE/Wi-MAX are the fastest ones out there. Verizon just doesn't have much up and Sprint is changing to LTE anyway. Newsroom • Press Release Rather telling.

Yea I know but they compared the networks and Tmobile dusted everybody else's. The reason why Sprint is dumping WiMax is Clearwire did not up hold their end of the bargain.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links