SHOCKER--ATT to buy TMobile

This is a discussion on SHOCKER--ATT to buy TMobile within the Android News forums, part of the Android.net category; AT&T doesn't have LTE. Only Verizon has LTE, but Sprint is switching over. AT&T is using their 3G network, just with "enhanced backhaul", to get ...

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: SHOCKER--ATT to buy TMobile

Super Moderator/RS furbearingmammal's Avatar
    Two hours north of Syracuse, NY. Yes, there IS civilization that far north.
    Twitter
    FurryVarmint
    AT&T doesn't have LTE. Only Verizon has LTE, but Sprint is switching over. AT&T is using their 3G network, just with "enhanced backhaul", to get "near" 4G speeds. T-Mobile is doing the same thing.
    DO NOT WRITE IN THIS SPACE
    THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Twitter
    @Dorian_At_ATT
    Quote Originally Posted by furbearingmammal View Post
    AT&T doesn't have LTE. Only Verizon has LTE, but Sprint is switching over. AT&T is using their 3G network, just with "enhanced backhaul", to get "near" 4G speeds. T-Mobile is doing the same thing.
    Customers in Atlanta, D/FW, LA, Jacksonville FL, Chicago, and specific parts of Manhattan will be pleased to know it's trialling in those areas as I type this. The tests I've done on Atlanta's new installation is very promising... 19Mbps down and about 8Mbps up. That's with a nice new fiber backhaul, connected to an external OC-48. Provisioning will initially be 20Mbps down and 10Mbps up. I expect those speeds to hold up with traffic on the network also. An OC-48 is quite a pipe.

The thing about T-Mobile's HSPA+ is that most of their cell sites have horrible backhaul... I mean atrocious.

Need Assistance? Contact me at dorian@android.net

Super Moderator/RS furbearingmammal's Avatar
    Two hours north of Syracuse, NY. Yes, there IS civilization that far north.
    Twitter
    FurryVarmint
    Sounds good to me. In the end it's not the theoretical maximum, it's how open the pipe is, at least once more than a few people are accessing it.
    DO NOT WRITE IN THIS SPACE
    THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Twitter
    @Dorian_At_ATT
    Sounds good to me. In the end it's not the theoretical maximum, it's how open the pipe is, at least once more than a few people are accessing it.
    Exactly.

No the phones don't have LTE but yes ATT does. There towers are all ready and set up for lte.

Sent from my Desire HD using Android.net App

Twitter
    @Dorian_At_ATT
    Quote Originally Posted by crxlex View Post
    No the phones don't have LTE but yes ATT does. There towers are all ready and set up for lte.
    Most of them aren't actually. Backhaul is currently limited to HSPA... most don't have the bandwidth for LTE, even if the towers are supporting LTE transceivers... which only very select towers are.

I am not trying to debate this or start an arguement, but LTE only means LONG TERM EVOLUTION. It means nothing as far as technology goes. It reminds me of the movie "Tommy Boy". Remember when Farley said, "if you want me to take a dump in a box and slap a guarantee on the box?" Same principle, the only thing you guaranteed is that it's a piece of crap. Everybody tries to understand what is what and that is great, bottom line however is they are slapping a label on something. The reason for this whole buy out is simple, in 2000 DT bought a company here in the US called Voicestream for $51 Billion. They have lost their backsides because us Americans are fickled. Oh, so and so has a new android phone, or so and so has the new iPhone 4, or whatever. It is like free agency in sports, jump to another team if you cannot get your way, pout like a baby, and who cares what happens. These companies have money lying around... Well, this is what happens and yet we all complain about why and how come. What ever happened to loyalty?, pride?, self respect? and looking out for our friends and family? I will tell you, it has left and greed, impatience, and self-centeredness has taken over.

Twitter
    @Dorian_At_ATT
    Quote Originally Posted by SLAG IT! View Post
    I am not trying to debate this or start an arguement, but LTE only means LONG TERM EVOLUTION. It means nothing as far as technology goes.
    GSM = Global System for Mobile

LTE is just the same. It's a name for a standard set of protocols defined by the 3GPP. FDD, TDD, OFDMA, and SC-FDMA are all under LTE too.

LTE is much simpler than having to say Evolved UMTS Terrestrial Radio Access Network.
    furbearingmammal likes this.

Yeah that sure is a mouthful! Reminds me of the guy from Iron Man movie. Startegic Homeland Intervention, Enforcement, and Logistics Division.
    Dorian likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
    Most of them aren't actually. Backhaul is currently limited to HSPA... most don't have the bandwidth for LTE, even if the towers are supporting LTE transceivers... which only very select towers are.
    Exactly what I said. Some of there towers, I'm not saying all. Which most are in south Florida where I live so when they do decide to launch there LTE ill be happy because at&t's line up for LTE phones is sick!!!! And for everybody on here bashing on ATT need to stop the jealousy and also need to stop talking down on any network or anybody, not talking about anybody imparticular. I choice my carrier because I work with all 3 major carriers and know which is the best one so yes I know what LTE (long term evolution) wimax (worldwide interoperability for microwave access) HSDPA+ (high speed packet access plus) FDMA (frequency division multiple access) CDMA (code division multiple access) TDMA (time division multiple access) GSM (global system for mobile communications) IDEN (integrated digital enhanced network) its what I do ill tell you all the frequencies and speeds also I'm required to do training every couple months and informed of a lot before being luanched. LTE being the closest to any 4G speeds they have in Europe so yes I like ATT and they deserve there credit so does Verizon.

Sent from my Desire HD using Android.net App
    Last edited by crxlex; 03-24-2011 at 01:34 AM.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links