Amazon App Store for Android Went Live Today

This is a discussion on Amazon App Store for Android Went Live Today within the Android News forums, part of the Android.net category; It looks like that rumor from yesterday turned out to be true. The Amazon App Store for Android went live this morning. It has some ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Amazon App Store for Android Went Live Today

Amazon App Store for Android Went Live Today

It looks like that rumor from yesterday turned out to be true. The Amazon App Store for Android went live this morning. It has some pretty nifty features. Here are just a few:
    • Filter apps by featured categories
    • Each listing has multiple screenshots and as a fully formatted description
    • Amazon reviews - just like from their website
    • Some apps have a full preview mode that Amazon calls 'Test Drive' that allows you to try them out in your browser window

Also, Amazon is running a pretty amazing promotion. Amazon is going to feature a FREE premium app, every day for an undefined period of time! The free premium app for today is none other than their brand new exclusive "Angry Birds Rio". Check it out to grab Angry Birds Rio before the day is gone, and let us know what you think of the Amazon App Store in the forums.

Source: AndroidPolice via Amazon Appstore

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Actually they do have a predefined amount of time the app will be free... Angry Birds Rio is available til 3am tonight (15:20:xx left to get it, and it's 11:40 right now). On the home page, in the screen shot of the above picture, next to the "Get App" button has the countdown... Or did you say undefined amount of time because not all apps will show a timer?

Twitter
    verwon
    I believe they meant they haven't defined how long they will be doing the free apps.

Beamed down to the earthlings, from my eVo!

ahhhhhh... must've misread that then... my bad

According to CNN, Apple is suing Amazon because of the name "App Store." You can see it at Apple sues Amazon over 'app store' name - CNN.com

Android Enthusiast Martin030908's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aaf709 View Post
    According to CNN, Apple is suing Amazon because of the name "App Store." You can see it at Apple sues Amazon over 'app store' name - CNN.com
    Surprise!

... not at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin030908 View Post
    Surprise!

... not at all.
    While I'm not surprised, its case is legitimate. If referred to in conversation simply as the "app store," it could be readily confused with Apple's. The deciding factor will be if the combined phrase of "app store" is protected while the individual words "app" and "store" and considered common use...

Sorry, but I had to play devil's advocate there...

Sent from my Droid using Android.net App
    Last edited by RayBan; 03-22-2011 at 11:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by vuarnet View Post
    While I'm not surprised, its case is legitimate. If referred to in conversation simply as the "app store," it could be readily confused with Apple's. The deciding factor will be if the combined phrase of "app store" is protected while the individual words "app" and "store" and considered common use...

Definitely not a surprise at all. Same thing Apple tried to do with HTC on their "touch and sliding to unlock" infringement, which I never heard any more about after it first came to light.

And I agree, I think they may have a case with it, depending on what is being infringed. They could just do a quick name change to "Amazon Appstore" instead of Amazon "Appstore". They probably did this to make a statement against the bully Apple.

Android Enthusiast Martin030908's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vuarnet View Post

No apologies needed

One nice thing is if you liked the original Angry Birds, you can pay 99 cents to get it ad free. Your data stays the same.

It'll be free advertising for Amazon; people will want to go to their site to see that the fuss is all about.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links