Survey Suggests 40% Will Switch to Android for Next Phone, Source is Suspect

This is a discussion on Survey Suggests 40% Will Switch to Android for Next Phone, Source is Suspect within the Android News forums, part of the Android.net category; We wanted to share a new survey with you that may end up circling the 'interwebs'. The info in it sounds really impressive for Android ...

Thread: Survey Suggests 40% Will Switch to Android for Next Phone, Source is Suspect

Survey Suggests 40% Will Switch to Android for Next Phone, Source is Suspect

We wanted to share a new survey with you that may end up circling the 'interwebs'. The info in it sounds really impressive for Android fans, but it should be taken with a grain of salt. A recent survey from the third-party mobile application store, GetJar, indicates that 40% of respondents will switch to an Android phone for their next phone purchase. Supposedly, only 18% said they would switch to the Apple iPhone. That's over a "two-to-one" ratio.

As much as we might like this to be true, the info from this survey is questionable in two major ways. First, statistically, surveys are far less accurate when you ask people about what they "will do" in the future. This is, of course, because they may change their mind later. Second, this survey was done by GetJar, who just acquired $25 Million dollars in venture capital investment money in order to "aggressively expand its offering to Android publishers in order to secure its position as the premier 'open' Android Market alternative."

Obviously, they have a bias toward making their investment work. Also, there is no report on whether they performed the survey before or after they acquired their investment money. So, this could be a "which came first, the chicken or the egg" event. However, we thought we would head things off at the pass now, by sharing with you the story, and letting you guys decide for yourselves if the info is viable. Do you think these numbers are possible? Or is it just a lot of "hot air"?

Source: readwriteweb.com

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

I have some questions about the question...
    1) Who was asked, Apple or Android people?
    2) How was the question worded?

Quote Originally Posted by aaf709 View Post
    I have some questions about the question...
    1) Who was asked, Apple or Android people?
    2) How was the question worded?
    Yes that's very important^

But me for instance came from an iPhone and have and Android now. (The inspire) Well experiencing both worlds, I can't wait till the iPhone 5 comes out. I went with the android phone not because I hated my iPhone but because it was more affordable. Pretty much everything I can do with this I did with my iPhone except the live widgets, but my iPhone was able to send better quality pics through mms and higher resolution videos, way higher. Android is coming up big time and I'm sure Apple is not going to let Android take over so I just can't wait to see what they have in store for there iPhone 5 cause I'm hopping on that, and from the rumors ive heard don't know that it can be topped. Got my buy back plan at best buy mobile so I'm all set to go back to get the iPhone 5.

Sent from my Desire HD using Android.net App

Quote Originally Posted by crxlex View Post
    Yes that's very important^

But me for instance came from an iPhone and have and Android now. (The inspire) Well experiencing both worlds, I can't wait till the iPhone 5 comes out. I went with the android phone not because I hated my iPhone but because it was more affordable. Pretty much everything I can do with this I did with my iPhone except the live widgets, but my iPhone was able to send better quality pics through mms and higher resolution videos, way higher. Android is coming up big time and I'm sure Apple is not going to let Android take over so I just can't wait to see what they have in store for there iPhone 5 cause I'm hopping on that, and from the rumors ive heard don't know that it can be topped. Got my buy back plan at best buy mobile so I'm all set to go back to get the iPhone 5.

while most of that is important, to me the biggest benefit of android is being able to install non-market apps == not being tied to the iTunes "ecosystem" and being "cast out" if you jailbreak. the iPhone easy to use, fast, stable and design conscious.

but it's just too shut-off for me. if you want an app but can't get it through itunes for whatever reason (de-listed for "questionable" content as determined by the "infinite wisdom" of Apple), then you're SOL. Apple claims that it's what's best for the "users", but that kind of oversight is restrictive to user choice imho

EDIT: and ... curously.. what is this "buy back plan"? sounds interesting... i've never dealt with best buy mobile before and have verizon currently... :D

Quote Originally Posted by vuarnet View Post
    while most of that is important, to me the biggest benefit of android is being able to install non-market apps == not being tied to the iTunes "ecosystem" and being "cast out" if you jailbreak. the iPhone easy to use, fast, stable and design conscious.

but it's just too shut-off for me. if you want an app but can't get it through itunes for whatever reason (de-listed for "questionable" content as determined by the "infinite wisdom" of Apple), then you're SOL. Apple claims that it's what's best for the "users", but that kind of oversight is restrictive to user choice imho

EDIT: and ... curously.. what is this "buy back plan"? sounds interesting... i've never dealt with best buy mobile before and have verizon currently... :D
    Well with the jail broken Iphone I was able to get apps that weren't from itunes including a lot of apps That are in the Android market. Now the buy back is a program at bbym that you enroll into that allows to to bring back your phone within a 2yr period and they'll buy it back from you. For instance in a period of 6 months I can bring back my inspire and they'll buy it back for 50% of retail price. Now keep in mind that the retail price on an inspire is 600 and because best buy mobile is the biggest retailer for mobile phones in the country they are capable of having very low prices with more services they can provide you with. I bought my inspire for.$50 dollars with my upgrade and the buy back was $30 bc I got it with the black tie protection plan which i liked much more over the carriers. So I'm making $220 profit to use for my next phone and because at&t gives there customers early upgrades for there iPhone I'm hoping to use that money towards the iPhone 5 when it comes out. Get it?

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links