Sprint CEO Dan Hesse Says AT&T/T-Mobile Merger "Stifles Innovation" - Will Appeal

This is a discussion on Sprint CEO Dan Hesse Says AT&T/T-Mobile Merger "Stifles Innovation" - Will Appeal within the Android News forums, part of the Android.net category; Sprint CEO Dan Hesse has issued further statements regarding the planned merger between AT&T and T-Mobile. His perspective is that the combined company would have ...

Thread: Sprint CEO Dan Hesse Says AT&T/T-Mobile Merger "Stifles Innovation" - Will Appeal

Sprint CEO Dan Hesse Says AT&T/T-Mobile Merger "Stifles Innovation" - Will Appeal

Sprint CEO Dan Hesse has issued further statements regarding the planned merger between AT&T and T-Mobile. His perspective is that the combined company would have "tremendous" power that ultimately would narrow market competition and "stifle innovation". He intends to file an appeal with Congress during the merger proceedings. He also pointed out that if the merger goes through then AT&T/T-Mobile and Verizon will hold 79% of the market, leaving Sprint with even less than ever before chances of competing.

Jim Cicconi, senior executive vice president at AT&T, responded to Hesse’s comments in an e-mailed, “We understand Sprint has concerns, and we’ll be happy to address any they present, whether at the Justice Department, the FCC or the Congress. We feel we have good and compelling answers. And we feel policymakers will readily understand that any company with whom AT&T competes may not be especially positive about anything which makes AT&T a better competitor in the wireless market.”

I can understand why AT&T wants to do this, but it definitely needs to be carefully reviewed, so we don't end up with another giant anti-competitive conglomerate lording over its customers. I remember during the eighties when "Bell" telephone was broken up into AT&T and other smaller "Bells". Eventually, this merger could end up squeezing Sprint out of the business, and that wouldn't be good for anyone. What do you guys think?

Source: SprintDroids via Phandroid and Bloomberg

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Methinks ATT sounds awfully full of themselves. 39 billion would go a long way towards improving their LTE rollout for their customers and regaining true competitiveness, rather than this tact. They need to be swatted, to the tune of 3B to TMO, when this gets rejected.
    Beauty is in the eyes of the beerholder

Twitter
    @Dorian_At_ATT
    Quote Originally Posted by alphawave7 View Post
    Methinks ATT sounds awfully full of themselves. 39 billion would go a long way towards improving their LTE rollout for their customers and regaining true competitiveness, rather than this tact. They need to be swatted, to the tune of 3B to TMO, when this gets rejected.
    $39 billion is to basically purchase their spectrum licences. AT&T was on the shallow end when it came to available LTE spectrum.

Also, I can't say I agree with Mr. Hesse. Does it snuff out a lot of MVNO's and smaller regional carriers? Yes. Does it stifle innovation? No. VZW is AT&T's only competition, and Verizon knows how to bring the heat better than any other company out there. Verizon is lighting up LTE as I type, with devices out that can already take advantage of it. It ANYTHING, it pushes AT&T to roll out bigger and better networks, with LTE in the VERY immediate future. And there's nobody (read:nobody) that can push AT&T around like that, except VZW.

EDIT: Clear must have pee'd in Hesse's Cheerios...
    Last edited by Dorian; 03-23-2011 at 04:33 PM.

Need Assistance? Contact me at dorian@android.net

Like I said in other posts. http://www.pcworld.com/article/22193...tml#tk.mod_rel Posts which company does what and how fast. PC World does not care who is who. Would be interesting if it fell through and T-mobile used the extra 3 billion to crank out even more. Also for all that are concerned. AT&T says T-Mobile Gets to Keep Pricing Structure

Last edited by SLAG IT!; 03-24-2011 at 01:42 AM. Reason: too hard too read

Twitter
    @Dorian_At_ATT
    ^That was so hard to read it made my teeth hurt. o_O LOL.

Need Assistance? Contact me at dorian@android.net

There I changed it around. Lol, it was pretty nasty. I am actually excited to see what takes place. I think it should benefit everybody.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links